Help with identifying a film please

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
billanben

Help with identifying a film please

Post by billanben »   0 likes

Have downlaoded this from News, it is called cas-cd1-sdx.avi (and cd2), and I think is Russian, but cannot find anything out about it. Would like to include some screenshots (inc tiltle in Russian) - can anyone advise or help please ? I am not sure if on topic but looks very interesting...Tried Imageshack but wants me to install some app which I absolutely will not do. Really frustrated here so can someone help.
File sizes are :-

717,658 CD1
679,722 CD2

Thanks to all.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Help with identifying a film please

Post by ghost »   0 likes

cas-cd1-sdx.avi
it's really hard to find out the title of the movie :wall
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

I googled that and came up with Munich

A good film, certianly not russian nor OT

Although this may not be the title inquestion anyway
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

If you have downloaded it I am confused as to why you need our help for the name and for screenshots?!? But in any event this is the movie:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/
Idi i smotri (1985)
Also Known As:
Иди и смотри (Soviet Union: Russian title)
Come and See (USA)
Go and See

A boy is unwillingly thrust into the atrocities of war in WWII Byelorussia, fighting for a hopelessly unequipped resistance movement against the ruthless German forces. Witnessing scenes of abject terror and accidentally surviving horrifying situations he loses his innocence and then his mind.
Could be interesting, one of the IMDB user comments says "Certain events involving his family and his introduction to the partisans (especially one involving a young girl) make his fight more personal. "
billanben

Hi FLL - you are the best !! In reply to your question one word springs to mind - excitement !

I went onto News, found a whole host of films I would like to see (mostly not on topic I would add), and set about downloading them. Problem is, a lot of these only have names like "cas". I tried to make sure I had made a list of anything cryptic but this one passed through the net, AND it expired from news - couldn't find it in a search, AND is wholly in Russian. I downlaod a lot of Russian films and have to do some searching in google and russiandvd (an excellent site) for the imdb links, but this one, had no clue since did not get from an EM link. Anyway thanks a million.

Now I am curious, how on earth did you locate this ?

It is probably OK to post here but I am currently cleaning my HDs as ran out of space so will have to be an EM link for now - will see if can find.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

billanben wrote:Now I am curious, how on earth did you locate this ?
You know what's funny? I initially thought of two separate ways to find this film's title, and even though the problem initially seemed difficult both worked!

The first step was that my experience with newsgroups told me the "sdx" in the filename was probably the releasing group, i.e. the people who ripped and released the DVD. Since many groups release via USENET (which is where you found this film) they sometimes try to obscure the film's name to reduce the possibility of legal problems, but they still want credit for the work of ripping the movie. When these files get posted on eMule the name is fixed but the releasing group is often still given credit. So I searched emule for "sdx", figuring I'd get a lot of junk to look through.

Before the eMule search completed I tried my other approach, which was search for the newsgroup posting. For a long time I have had an account at newzbin.com, which costs money but is invaluable since they index the past 70 days or so of USENET. So I searched all posts by subject to find what you downloaded, which was successful. They have editors who figure out what movie a particular post refers to, so I looked for the movie they found for those posts and that's where I got "Come and See".

At that point I checked back on the eMule search for "sdx" I started earlier, and was surprised to see "Come and See" right at the top of the list. And it was in two parts, with the file sizes matching what you posted. So I had double confirmation that this was the movie you sought.

Forgive the long explanation, but maybe it will help give others useful ideas for searching :) And by the way I highly recommend newzbin.com, 25p a week and you can set up "watchdog" searches which email you whenever something is posted which it matches.
billanben

Thanks for that - I thought of (and tried) the sdx thing figuring the same as you, but did not think to try search on EM (doh), and easynews only keeps around 40 days worth of posts so couldn't find there anyway.

I think pooling methods of locating things is a great thing, so I am actually glad to have brought this up !!