kev
Site Admin

[REL] Aretz Hadasha AKA Newland (1994) [Israel]

Post by kev »   0 likes

AKA: Eretz Hadasha, Newland

imdb link:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0109737/

Synopsis:
In this Israeli fantasy, two brave orphans return to Israel to search for their parents and find each other instead. Eight-year old Anna and Jan, her older brother, have not seen their parents in many years as they were sent to Europe when the war broke out.They find themselves in a transit camp surrounded by other immigrants. Life there is difficult, but the children find support from the other immigrants there. Not all the people are nice though. Anna, who does not speak, and Jan must contend with minor gangsters who take young girls for prostitutes, and steal food. Anna is suddenly alone in the camp after Jan finds work at a kibbutz. She is too young to go. Now all she has left is her teddy bear. The films' ending is more upbeat as she and Jan literally fly away.
Pix:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Trailer:
http://www.israelifilms.co.il/40420/0803

The trailer is really a 5min clip, but gives you an idea of what the movie is like...

I'm probably going to get the DVD from 'orlysbookstore.com', but I just wanted to put the word out about this movie. It looks like a beautifully poetic coming of age film. :thumbsup

kev.
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Aretz Hadasha AKA Newland (1994) [Israel]

Post by kev »   0 likes

I'm sorry, but with 59 views and no comments, I'll have to admit, I'm a little miffed...

Here's a movie no one has ever heard of, one that's slipped under the radar, has a pretty cute girl in the leading role; the movie is pretty much ABOUT her, and no one is intrigued enough to say anything about it?

I guess I wouldn't be so bothered if it weren't for some of the crappy movies that have TONS of comments... :eyecrazy

Doesn't ANYONE else think this movie is worth checking out??

I do a lot of browsing around the internet looking for little hidden gems like [well; POSSIBLY ;) ] this one. It's rare that I come across something that FLM doesn't already have in it's crosshairs, so when I do, I get pretty excited; as in the case of this movie and Meduzot (2007) [ https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... php?t=4309 ]. Both movies that seem to have not really sparked much interest amoung FLM'ers...

Sorry, again, for ranting... Just a little surprised these movies aren't garnering the attention I think they deserve... :wall

kev.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

*I* certainly appreciate your efforts looking for unknown gems to post here. But I am not very "chatty" and usually don't comment until I've seen a movie. I'll try to so so more often.

FWIW, when I first saw this post and Meduzot, both looked good enough that I searched eMule (and found nothing) and then added them to my Usenet search in case they ever showed up there. And I found a source where I could get Newland and made a note that once I got through my backlog of things I am working on, if you hadn't released this I would get it and do so.

But I think the biggest reason the response is muted is this isn't a RELease. It's a REQ, and you said the DVD was available and you were getting it... so when you or someone else actually releases it I will naturally be more excited about it. Same with Meduzot, it's "forthcoming" so no use getting frothy at the mouth... yet :) But of course you deserve props for putting this on the radar, so thanks! :clap
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Kev don't upset you...in my post "Cocaleros" there're 55 visit and no comments...this is maybe anoyne no have info or notice, but i not have do it a "Drama", and i am still waitin' ;)
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Gotta love those 'serial killer' eyebrows. LOL Like Salma Hayek in Frida. ROFL
mongodisco

Post by mongodisco »   0 likes

Hi Kev...

Such movies are down my alley... It's just that i don't have time to browse here as much as before or find all these gems posted. I would really appreciate a release. Finally it seems like i will get around to make some new releaseposts as well.
FLL

Post by FLL »   51 likes

I liked this movie, though it isn't very cheery. The refugees are still dealing with the past, looking forward to an uncertain future, and just tying to survive. Anna, and the teddy bear she carries everywhere with her, is the focal point around which the stories of several others are also told.

[Image]

My rip.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [697.77 Mb]

English Subs:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [47.0 Kb]
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... hadasha-en
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Thanks, FLL!

Thanks for ripping and MANY thanks for letting me know about it! Don't know how I missed this release, but I did!

Looking forward to this one completing. :thumbsup

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

This is a great film! Believable characters and their stories (except for a weird ending), and they get a grip on you. Thanks FLL and kev. :dance
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   47 likes