[REL] M AKA Fritz Lang's M (1931)

loverboy

[REL] M AKA Fritz Lang's M (1931)

Post by loverboy »   16 likes

[Image]
The film opens with a circle of children playing a game that involves a rhyme about a child murderer. This foreshadows the appearance of Hans Beckert (Peter Lorre), a serial killer who preys on children in 1930s Berlin. Initially the audience does not see his face; they merely see his shadow and shots of his body, hearing him whistle "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (German, In der Halle des Bergkönigs) from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg as he buys a balloon from a blind man and gives it to a little girl named Elsie Beckmann. In the next scene, her mother searches frantically as the audience sees the balloon flying up into the telephone lines.
Spoiler:

Meanwhile, the police, under Inspector Karl Lohmann, pursue him using such modern police techniques as fingerprinting and handwriting analysis. They also stage raids and round up the usual suspects.
As the police do their work, the criminal underworld of Berlin becomes increasingly concerned about the murder spree. Not only is it bad for business to have the police sniffing around, but it is insulting to be lumped into the same category as a child killer.
Eventually, a race develops between the police and the criminals to catch the killer, who is completely unaware of what is happening. He makes the mistake of whistling again near the same blind balloon salesman. The salesman tells one of the criminals, who tails the killer and, desperate for a way to track him, manages to mark a large letter M onto the killer's coat in chalk.
Now able to track the killer, the criminals pursue him and, after a lengthy search of an office building, finally catch him, bringing him before a kangaroo court. There, Beckert delivers an impassioned monologue, saying that he doesn't want to commit these crimes, and that he should not be punished for being insane. The monologue ends with the line (delivered by Lorre in a near scream) "Who knows what it's like to be me?"
As the criminals are on the point of killing Beckert, the police arrive, snatching him from their grip.
The final image of the film is that of five judges about to give Beckert his sentence. Before the sentence is announced, the shot cuts to three of the victim's mothers crying, with Elsie's mother saying that killing the murderer will do no good, and that parents must watch their children more closely.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/
Good synopsis web page
http://www.cyberroach.com/m/m.htm
[Image]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [731.98 Mb]
English subtitles
Like this post to see ed2k links  [93.6 Kb]
idler

Re: [REL] M AKA Fritz Lang's M (1931)

Post by idler »   0 likes

I understand you reencoded the 855mb-razorback3-version?
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

idler wrote:I understand you reencoded the 855mb-razorback3-version?
Wrong..........This was a re-encode of a 1.37gb version posted on Usenet.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Why the reencode? Why not post as found, or (better yet) post one which is already on eMule and thus has established sources? Also, in general re-encoding from 2CD version produces worse quality than encoding from a full DVD image.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

FLL makes a good point. By all means re-encode to correct deficiencies in the original version, eg, picture dull or dark, sound too low, bad compression, etc. But if the original rip is good, why not just share that?
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

FLL wrote:Why the reencode? Why not post as found, or (better yet) post one which is already on eMule and thus has established sources? Also, in general re-encoding from 2CD version produces worse quality than encoding from a full DVD image.
I don't re-encode for the sake of it. This was done quite simply to reduce filesize. Rightly
or wrongly I felt any slight quality loss was unlikely to be an issue with a movie nearly 80
years old!
I'm sure any existing versions you find will be a welcome addition to this release.
fwtt

Post by fwtt »   0 likes

Anyway! Hehe. This is a good movie, thanks . :)
yoko

Post by yoko »   1 likes

Just noticed that I'm still missing the srt. Does anyone have it?
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   4 likes

Original subs I posted are unsourced & unfortunately have gone walkabout.

However, these seem to match the release perfectly.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [93.6 Kb]

lb
corsarace

Post by corsarace »   0 likes

loverboy wrote: [Image]
M 1931 Fritz Lang loverboy re-encode.avi
Missed this one. Any chance to reshare? :pray