[REL] Phoebe in Wonderland (2008)

FLL

[REL] Phoebe in Wonderland (2008)

Post by FLL »   0 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034325/
Curious, sensitive nine year-old Phoebe (Elle Fanning) appears to have the ideal family: her academic parents (Felicity Huffman and Bill Pullman) encourage her creativity, introducing her to art and literature at a young age. But at school, everyone seems obsessed with rules-rules that Phoebe often feels compelled to break, leading to run-ins with the uptight principal (Campbell Scott). When a new drama teacher, Miss Dodger (Patricia Clarkson), holds auditions for a dramatic version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she is dismayed at the students' lack of imagination and playfulness, until she meets Phoebe. As Phoebe's behavior becomes more erratic and bewildering, she looks to Miss Dodger and Wonderland for guidance, finding it increasingly difficult to cope with her life outside the theater walls.

Anchored by strong performances, PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND delves deftly into questions about conformity, rebellion, and adult-child interactions. What is "abnormal" behavior, and when does it cross a line into disorder? Are we too quick to diagnose children, or do these identifications help them? As Phoebe's mother, Huffman conveys the frustrations of a brilliant scholar struggling to balance full-time mothering with her own work on Alice. The elegant Clarkson portrays Miss Dodger without a hint of sentimentalism. But both of these adult characters are inspired by Phoebe, and Fanning more than meets the challenge as an actress; her impressive work shows nuance and sophistication well beyond her years as she draws the viewer completely into the world of a troubled child.
I saw this movie this weekend at a film festival and thought it was very good and quite engaging. Elle Fanning is 80% of the movie and does an excellent job, and the supporting cast is excellent (including Phoebe's sister and the kids in her class play). There are a couple of "Lifetime" moments but nothing too bad, no OT scenes though, that's Elle's sister's department ;)

Expected to be released theatrically "this fall", with DVD release to follow and TV on Lifetime in 2009. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 009780ce68

A nice review: http://www.cinematical.com/2008/01/23/s ... onderland/

[Image]
emuler

Re: [REL] Phoebe in Wonderland (2008)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

:inlove
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

Now look what ya did to emuler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rmt@36

Post by rmt@36 »   0 likes

this is now on my list of must haves

Thanks for this
LewisCarroll

Post by LewisCarroll »   0 likes

As you can imagine from my nickname, I am waiting for it!
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   6 likes

Just released to a.b.b4e under the obscure filename 5meoamt-wonderland as a DVD screener. I've renamed to film title to assist searches. Verified.......admin can move this to release.

Audio - MP3 / 95kbps / English
Video - XViD / 777kbps / 640x352 / PAL 25 fps /
U.S / 1 hour 35 mins
Costume Design / Kurt and Bart
Writer / Daniel Barnz
Producer / Ben Barnz, Lynette Howell
Director / Daniel Barnz
Production / George Paaswell
Editor / Robert Hoffman
Composer / Christophe Beck

-Overview::
Last year then 12-year old Dakota Fanning came here to Sundance with a film called Hounddog in which she made
headlines due to a fairly graphic rape scene.
This year,her little sister Elle is here with her film Phoebe in Wonderland — and no,
it does not involve any rape scenes. In fact, it is a very light and fluffy fairly tale-esque story about a
little girl who is just struggling to fit in.

Fanning plays Phoebe, the daughter of two writers (Bill Pullman and Felicity Huffman) who has a wild imagination
that leads her to be an outcast at school. When the other kids pick on her, she lashes out, not understanding
why she can’t stop herself from hurting herself and others. The only time she is calm and at peace is when she
is rehearsing for her role in the school play of “Alice in Wonderland” at the direction of her eccentric theater
teacher (Patricia Clarkson).

Elle knocks spots off her big sister! :)

Like this post to see ed2k links  [699.63 Mb]
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

yeah just watched too bad it's watermarked.

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

quickone wrote:yeah just watched too bad it's watermarked...
I'm sorry, 'coz I'm honestly not trying to sound hostile, but:

You're kidding, right???? :eyecrazy

You've just watched this pretty highly anticipated movie, and the ONLY comment you can make about it is; "...too bad it's watermarked..."???!!!!!

I guess I wouldn't have been so peeved if you had followed that comment up by giving us some kind of analysis about the quality of the CONTENT of the movie, or at least what you thought of it...

Please: Someone here who has seen this movie; please enlighten us if this film will be a feather in Elle's cap, or is she not capable of carrying a full-length feature... :pray

Sorry again, quickone if I seem to be hostile; I truely DO appreciate the pix you posted. VERY nice! :clap

kev. :blush

ALSO: loverboy!! SUPER KUDOS for finding this release!! I am looking forward to watching this as Elle would have REALLY had to eat her spinich [and gotten some 'balls-to-the-wall' acting lessons ;) ] to "knock spots off her big sister"!! :heart
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

A lot of people see "DVD Screener" and don't understand why it's different than a DVDRip... occasionally none, but more often watermarks or timecodes or warnings. If that's a problem wait (little less than a year probably for this one) for it to come out on DVD.

Thanks for finding this lb, I want to see it again!

If I recall, it's been six months so it's a little fuzzy, Elle did a great job but didn't need to really carry the movie by herself. The supporting cast was very good, and several of the characters were interesting.

It's funny, I came a across a reference to this movie very recently: Caitlin Sanche, the White Queen, is the new voice of Dora the Explorer.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

How bad is the watermarking? A couple of screenshots showing the watermarking would be helpful. :bigups

I once saw a screener that was really mutilated - 27 Dresses, I think it was; got the DVDRip now. The damn thing had colour drops. Several times during the movie, for a couple of minutes each time, the picture would become black and white. :wall