Newsgroup Provider?

Many interesting childhood movies are also posted to the newsgroups. Please share them here in this forum ;)
ac_cobra_427

Newsgroup Provider?

Post by ac_cobra_427 »   0 likes

my problem is i have been using Usenet for a long time now and seen that groups dissapear and come again, but they werent gone just taken away by my provider. I am curently using
my-binaries.com and it works well no problems from my side. I was using Alibis and it worked great in the begining but then it totaly broke down. Is there any other providers out there.
beacause i want the whole Usenet experiense.

Regards AcCobra
FLL

Re: Newsgroup Provider?

Post by FLL »   0 likes

The "gold standard" of Usenet providers is Giganews.com, fast, with the longest retention (up to 240 days in most binary groups currently), and supports SSL connections. A little bit pricier than some others ($25 unlimited, $5 more for SSL) but I have used them several times for fill-ins and now as a primary provider since my ISP dropped Usenet binaries completely and have been happy. Since I am usually perfectly willing to wait a little bit rather than always having Usenet available, I put the account on hold for a month or two and save up nzbs then use it for a month and take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth allowance to grab everything I want. One nice thing they have is their "Accelerator", a little program that manages server connections, it gives you compressed headers so that if you want to browse groups instead of using nzbs the headers load 10 times faster.

There was a member here who used to rave about EasyNews for its ease of use, they provide a web interface rather than requiring a newsreader if that's important to you, but their retention isn't as long. Haven't used them myself.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Giganews has closed many groups some months ago and i am no friend of censorship! :snooty

Now i am at Astraweb. Fast speed, many many many groups... more than 100 days of retention.
ac_cobra_427

Post by ac_cobra_427 »   0 likes

Ok thank you for your input, i did a quick search at Astraweb and found many more groups that i have newer heard of :thumbsup

so i am probably going to setup an acount there
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Giganews has closed many groups some months ago and i am no friend of censorship! :snooty

Now i am at Astraweb. Fast speed, many many many groups... more than 100 days of retention.
I didn't know that, hmmm. Probably due to the same pressure that caused several big US ISPs to drop binaries completely. I'll have to look at Astraweb for my next Usenet subscription, my last one with Giganews just ended and I am not locked into one provider since as I said above I keep it for a month then stop it for a couple of months.