[REL] Saint Maybe (1998)

emuler

[REL] Saint Maybe (1998)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168156/

Saw this a few years ago on the Hallmark Channel. Loved it.

Based on a novel by Anne Tyler. This is a Hallmark Hall Of Fame movie.

Ian (Thomas McCarthy) has suspicions about his sister-in-law's fidelity, and he inadvertently sets off a tragic chain of events that results in the deaths of his brother and his sister-in-law. As atonement, he decides to drop out of college and raise the orphaned children, three girls, eldest ~12; youngest just a baby.

Beautiful movie, terrific cast, great child cast (several ages as the story progresses). One I definitely want to watch again, and again.
FLL

Re: [REL] Saint Maybe (1998)

Post by FLL »   0 likes

[Image]

I'll try to record it next time it's on.

EDIT: Now that there's no upcoming TV showing listed, it says "available on DVD", but it's not really. The "DVD" listing is actually VHS.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »   0 likes

Record shmord... Simulcast Baby! Simulcast...
emuler

I don't want to watch it just once - I've already done that. This I want to keep.

Bated breath, FLL. :pray
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »   0 likes

Actually, I need to work on linking my sat receiver to my webcam. At which point I'll create a separate thread for live broadcasts.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

I'll try. Beware though, it will be an analog capture, and I'll DVR it and transfer it to the computer later (the final game of the football regular season is on at that time and might detemine whether my team makes the playoffs, so I will almost definitely be watching that). So it won't be PDTV quality, if anyone else here with pure digital gets the Hallmark Channel it would be better if they could grab it.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

If anyone with the Hallmark Channel and pure digital capture wants to help out emuler, this movie is on 23 hours from now. I have done some testing and configuring today in an effort to capture digitally, and got it working for local channels but the DVR I rent from the cable company prohibits it for cable channels, they are all encrypted. So it's definite that I will need to use an analog step via DVD recorder which will degrade the picture somewhat. Of course the Hallmark logo and promos for upcoming shows will also degrade the picture, but...
emuler

Maybe once we have that version someone might come up with a better version, as has happened several times in the past. Kind of like seeding a mine (or is it priming a well?). :bigups

I'm looking forward to your rip. At least it won't be analog TV reception, which is where the major degradation occurs. :cool I don't mind the logo and promos. For all you know, the promos might even be useful. :think
FLL

Post by FLL »   3 likes

Here's the TVRip from the Hallmark Channel. 87 minutes without credits (they squeezed them so they were completely unreadable) so if the listed VHS running time of 98 mins is to be believed they cut a few minutes for TV.

The kids' roles are pretty limited. In the first half of the movie we meet a girl and boy and then their baby sister, after that it skips forward five years, then finally to when the kids are grown up. I thought Hallee Hirsh was good as the youngest version of the older girl, I can't recall seeing her before but I'll keep an eye open in the future. The adult performances were in general good also. It is a novelisation (of an Anne Tyler book) and it shows. The religious themes in this movie are not my favorite, so I was surprised to find I liked it, apart from a little bit of melodrama.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [700.22 Mb]

Before you had a chance to ask ;) I ripped the closed captions using mpg2srt, then adjusted their timing a bit but left them otherwise untouched.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [119.0 Kb]

[Image][Image]
emuler

Thanks, FLL. :onfire :onfire :onfire

Yes, I too thought the pastor was a little over the top, but the rest was so good. Even the grandparents shine - IMHO Blythe Danner's finest moment. :thumbsup I thought the oldest version of the youngest kid was cute too. Hallee Hirsh is practically a veteran, although most of her work is in TV series. :clap You can see more of her here:
https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... php?t=4117