[REL] Echoes of a Summer (1976)

FLL

[REL] Echoes of a Summer (1976)

Post by FLL »   13 likes

AKA The Last Castle

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074459/

"Echoes of a Summer" was apparently intended to show a softer side of star Richard Harris, who even composed and sang the title soundtrack song. The script unfortunately makes him look pretty silly at times, and though filmed in 1974 the movie sat unreleased even though 11 year old Jodie Foster had done a fabulous job playing Harris' dying daughter.

Then, in February 1976 "Taxi Driver" came out to huge acclaim and Foster became a star, eventually getting an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress. Two months later "Echoes of a Summer" was released with Jodie on the poster.
[Image]

In October 2006 this movie was announced as a DVD, and a month before release I ordered it at Amazon. But when the shipping date came it suddenly started slipping and eventually it went to backordered and then to cancelled. I ordered it at another site and on eBay, both of which claimed they had it in stock, but what I learned is that websites and eBay sellers just automatically list new DVDs and assume they will get them. It takes a while for news of a cancelled DVD to catch up. I have been looking for this ever since, with no luck, not willing to overspend for a poor VHS copy due to faith it would eventually reappear.

Then a few days ago I was lucky enough to stumble upon news that in only three days it would be shown on a TV station I can get! And even better, since it was on a local broadcast station and the US is now all digital television, my DVR allowed me to transfer it directly via Firewire to my computer, a Pure Digital TV capture all the way from TV station to me with no quality-killing analog step. This is the only one I know of so far, loverboy found someone else out there who was capturing the same showing I was and torrented it a couple of days ago but used an analog camcorder to do his capture.

After watching it, I am surprised this has been "an unknown Jodie Foster movie", the performances are generally pretty good except for Richard Harris, and the story/script may bear most of the blame for that anyway. Eight year old Brad Savage is a good match for Jodie's only friend (outside of her more-friend-than-father).

The quality is limited a bit by the original transfer from film to video and the digital transmission on a limited bandwidth subchannel, and there's an omnipresent network logo and the occasional program teaser text, but this is pretty good quality and probably as good as we will get until a DVD is released. Maybe TV showings will generate renewed interest in a DVD, we can only hope.

[Image] [Image]
[Image] [Image]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.03 Gb]

File Name .......: Echoes of a Summer (1976).Jodie Foster.PDTV.XviD-FLL.avi
File Size .......: 1,050.04 MB
Duration ........: 01:27:46
Video Codec .....: XviD MPEG-4 codec
Video Bitrate ...: 1544 KB/s
Resolution ......: 640 x 464
Aspect Ratio ....: 1.37:1
Framerate .......: 23.976 FPS
Audio Codec .....: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
Audio Bitrate ...: 128 KB/s (CBR)
Channels ........: 2 Ch
ptguardian

Re: [REL] Echoes of a Summer (1976)

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

:onfire :onfire SWEET :onfire :onfire big thanks.FLL

another one knocked off my Jodie list :heart

:bigups :bigups
[........ :) ........]
_____} {_____
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Another rare Jodie movie :onfire

[Image]
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

The forum is quiet but I wouldn't want to see that used as an excuse for this release not getting the proper recognition it deserves.
There have been many PM's between FLL & myself about this movie that puts me in a unique position of knowing just how much time & effort has gone into bringing this release to us. As FLL mentioned, there is a torrent release I've downloaded that can be considered as having been sourced from the same transmission but captured & encoded with nothing like the same care & attention to detail. Having watched this I can assure you the results speak for themselves..........we should consider ourselves very fortunate we get 'first bite of the cherry' of this superb quality rare release!
This had been on mine & FLL's radar for some time.......I had even sourced & edited a very poor quality home-made VHS rip I was about to release.........just have a look at these screens to see what you might have got........

[Image]
[Image]

Irrespective of whether you are a Jodie fan or not this is a very important release. If we had such a thing as a 'release of the year' this would without question be getting my vote!
FLL.......you're a star & your efforts are much appreciated!.....THANK YOU! :clap

lb
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Thanks FLL.

Great pins!

[Image]
[Image]

and the little guy knows a good backside when he sees one

[Image]
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

just finished watching it. great little film. :thumbsup several OT moments (at least for me) ;)
can't see why this hasn't made it on the dvd scene? i would buy it

:bigups thanks again FLL

:)

Post by guest »   0 likes

too bad this link doesn´t work anymore. I so wish to finally see a good copy of it... *sigh*
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

wreckage3001 wrote:too bad this link doesn´t work anymore. I so wish to finally see a good copy of it... *sigh*
?????????......certainly working for me, and fully sourced.

lb

Post by guest »   0 likes

2 sources now.
guilherme

Post by guilherme »   0 likes

Well, it doesn't work anymore; and now there seems to be no way of acquiring Echoes of a Summer.