[REL] Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971)

Hieronymus

[REL] Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971)

Post by Hieronymus »   1 likes

Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (aka, Who Slew Auntie Roo? in the North American and UK poster art).

[Image]

<a href="http://anonym.to/?http://www.imdb.com/t ... /">[b]IMDb[/b]</a>
<a href="http://anonym.to/?http://www.rarefilmfi ... filmfinder[/b]</a>

This is a retelling of the old tale of Hansel and Gretel, but set in England in the 1920s. To the children and staff at the orphanage, Auntie Roo is a kindly American widow who gives them a lavish Christmas party each year in her mansion, Forrest Grange. In reality, she is a severely disturbed woman, who keeps the mummified remains of her little daughter in a nursery in the attic. One Christmas, her eye falls upon a little girl (Chloe Franks) who reminds her of her daughter and she imprisons her in her attic. Nobody believes her brother, Christopher (Mark Lester), when he tells them what has happened, so he goes to rescue her. [from the IMDb summary]

My release (370 mb DVD rip) in XviD.avi format:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [370.11 Mb]

The previous release (700 mb) is here:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [699.75 Mb]

Enjoy! :)

- Hieronymus

[EDIT: forgot to insert the anon code in the links - fixed!] :eusa_doh
emuler

Re: [REL] Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Wow! Never heard of this one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Hieronymus. :clap

For future reference, we like good quality rips here. Some of even prefer high definition. Unless you have discovered a new method of encoding/video compression, I'd be more interested in the 700MB rip.

btw. admins, anonym not working? Must have missed the memo. :think
Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus »   0 likes

emuler wrote: For future reference, we like good quality rips here. Some of even prefer high definition. Unless you have discovered a new method of encoding/video compression, I'd be more interested in the 700MB rip.
I was concerned about that, too. I haven't seen the older release to be able to compare the two. I scanned through mine after I ripped it, and it looked very good (to my eyes, anyway) - I just assumed that the smaller file size indicated the better compression of the XviD format. I used bitRipper to extract from the DVD and convert to XviD.avi format (without tweaking any of the settings).

Should I try again and re-release an "improved" version? I'm very new at this, and defer to the experts here on the board.

- Hieronymus
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Hieronymus wrote:Should I try again and re-release an "improved" version? I'm very new at this, and defer to the experts here on the board.

- Hieronymus
What is the resolution? if it's less than 512x384 (assuming 4:3) then it definitely needs to be made bigger. Xvid is only incrementally better than DivX (and not as good as mp4). Usually encoders save space by decreasing the resolution, also by skimping on detail and updates during action scenes. It also depends a lot on the source: some sources encode much better than others, so without seeing it it's tough to tell.

But 700mb (1CD) is the "scene" standard for a 90 minute movie. loverboy releases most of his in 2CD version, which gives a bigger picture (e.g. 640 x480) with quality that can be better upscaled for viewing on a TV or large computer screen. So a video bitrate of 900-1500 Kbps is typical, with audio of 128-192.
emuler wrote:btw. admins, anonym not working? Must have missed the memo. :think
anonym is only added automatically when a link is posted as pure text, without the URL tags. If you want to change the link text (a good thing usually!) you can use the URL tag, but you need to add anonym.to? yourself and also add B (bold) tags around it so it looks like a link. And if you are linking to another page at FLM obviously anonym.to isn't needed.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Same!
Cannot believe that we did not have this one.

The one I have is from 2006, and widescreen:

AVI File Details
===========================
Name..........: Whoever Slew Auntie Roo.avi
Filesize......: 1010Mb
Runtime.......: 01:31:46
Video Codec...: XviD
Video Bitrate.: 1.4Mbps
Frame Size....: 720x392
Frame Rate....: 23.97fps
Audio Codec...: mp3
Audio Bitrate.: 80Kbps
Audio Freq....: 48KHz
Audio Channels: Mono

I see there are already 2 releases by Hieronymus, so unless you insist I will share mine,
before stepping on his toes. :think
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Well I previewed the Hieronymus 370mb rip expecting it to be crap.......& it really isn't. The video & audio bitrates are extremely low which means it probably won't upscale well & there is some evidence of video jerkiness but overall, for the small file-size the results are remarkable.
Almost makes me wonder why I bother with 2CD size rips.......

lb
Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus »   0 likes

popdrome wrote: I see there are already 2 releases by Hieronymus, so unless you insist I will share mine,
before stepping on his toes. :think
Hey, I'm ALL about the quality. ;)

Please don't feel you'd insult me in any way by making a better quality release available for everyone. I've got the original on DVD, so no skin off my nose, whatsoever. Release away!
loverboy wrote:Well I previewed the Hieronymus 370mb rip expecting it to be crap.......& it really isn't. The video & audio bitrates are extremely low which means it probably won't upscale well & there is some evidence of video jerkiness but overall, for the small file-size the results are remarkable.
Almost makes me wonder why I bother with 2CD size rips.......
Let's just call this first release of mine a "learning experience," shall we? I take all the established folk's advice here to heart, and have read enough of the forum for long enough to recognize the folks who set the "gold standard" for new releases. (I'm looking right at you, LB ... ) :)

- Hieronymus
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

I'm happy to offer some constructive advice about your first rip but need to complete it first. I'm nearly there but need a reshare to get the last 53mb.

TIA.......lb
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

great post Hieronymus... i have always liked this film. and i too have the dvd. so if needed i could throw a rip into the pile :blush

:)