[REL] One Small Hero (1999)

loverboy

[REL] One Small Hero (1999)

Post by loverboy »   3 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198871/

[Image][Image]
Heroes come in all sizes. Joey Cooper (Nathan Kiley) is a small but eager boy who wants nothing more than to be a member of the "Wilderness Club." Although he has already tried and failed several times, he is ready to try again. Despite being persuaded not to humiliate himself by his best friend Timmy (Matthew Peters), he tries again and fails. Upon returning home, he is surprised to find that his mother (Bonnie Burroughs) has spent her hard earned money on new camping equipment for his trip. Not having the heart to tell her he didn't make it, Joey goes off to follow the group on their adventure. Joey finds himself in the midst of two bad guys who have kidnapped the group including his heartthrob Sarah Mann (Lindsay Lewis). In the end, Joey saves them all and becomes 'One Small Hero'.
Nice movie this.........predictable (maybe verging on lame) storyline but Lindsay Lewis sets the bells ringing on the cuteometer & the whole thing seems to have an air of feelgood that goes down well with a pizza & a bottle of cheap red wine.
Availability in the UK is zero so I eagerly awaited my Canadian purchase only to end up pretty disappointed. It's actually a DVD9 with two entirely separate versions of the movie......one French & one English. Now there is absolutely no difference between them other than the language so I would have thought a better & simpler option would have been to have had two audio streams, but what do I know? Even the nasty cheap DVD artwork cover is printed on both sides......one side English, the other side French! Reverse for an instant transformation! :wall Things don't improve with playing the DVD either............I've ripped this about 10 times now & am still unhappy with the result. The original print quality literally looks as if somebody threw the video at a DVD, hoping it would stick! Shame.....this is a nice cheesy bit of eye-candy.

[Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image]

File Name .......: One Small Hero 1999 DVDRip loverboy.avi
File Size .......: 1,399.70 MB
Duration ........: 01:30:19
Video Codec .....: XviD MPEG-4 codec
Video Bitrate ...: 2038 KB/s
Resolution ......: 720 x 544
Aspect Ratio ....: 1.32:1
Framerate .......: 23.976 FPS
Audio Codec .....: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
Audio Bitrate ...: 128 KB/s (CBR)
Channels ........: 2 Ch
Language : ENGLISH

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.37 Gb]

Enjoy!
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] One Small Hero (1999)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

loverboy wrote:I've ripped this about 10 times now & am still unhappy with the result. The original print quality literally looks as if somebody threw the video at a DVD, hoping it would stick! Shame.....this is a nice cheesy bit of eye-candy.
Eye candy indeed. I'm sure your rip is just fine, as all your rips are. Thanks lb.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Thanks it looks great

LB if the cover you posted is accurate to the dvd you have . Videoville Showtime is most likely the culprit. i have had a few bad transfers from them. i really like the looks of this film so i ordered a copy from monarch. they usually have great transfers. if the copy is clean i will send it to you. but you will have to re release it ;) but as Phuzzy says "I'm sure your rip is just fine, as all your rips are" it will be up to you. you are always your toughest critic.

:)
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Thanks for that ptg. Yes, I'll always be critical of my own work & frustrated when poor results are beyond my control & yes, this IS the actual DVD artwork.
This is where you guys are so useful.......I've never heard of Videoville Showtime before but you obviously have! :wall ............I sometimes forget that DVD doesn't always mean what it says & assume there will be a certain standard of quality.
Nothing was right about this disc, starting with the broken flimsy case on arrival, the obviously cheap & amateur artwork & then the poor DVD print quality including a copyright warning followed by a collection of pops & bangs that needed editing out before the movie started, obviously lifted straight from the video. As I mentioned previously, you can imagine my surprise when removing the cover to scan to also find it printed on the reverse for the French release!

[Image]

That's a very generous offer of yours.........at present I'd really like somebody else to complete & critically report on quality.........if others consider this is acceptable then that's fine with me, rather than shifting large amounts of data around the world to simply satisfy my fussiness.

lb
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

loverboy wrote:...As I mentioned previously, you can imagine my surprise when removing the cover to scan to also find it printed on the reverse for the French release!

[Image] [Image]
Hey, lb!

Great release as usual! :thumbsup.

I've actually seen this a good bit, as I've ordered a number of movies from Canadian DVD shops. (Ginger Snaps II', and 'Eve and the Fire Horse' are two that come to mind.) Since both English and French are dominant languages there, many companies release their DVD's with French and English covers.

This is the partial cover art for the DVD ptg is probably talking about:
[Image]

I've got this one in storage, and will try to dig it out to see if there's much difference. I doubt there will be though [if your screen caps are any indication :thumbsup ], as Monarch doesn't really focus on big name movies but rather low budget not heard of indies and their quality isn't always top notch... ;)

[Image]
[Image]

Damsels in distress! *sigh* I'd save Sarah Mann [Lindsay Lewis] :heart ANY day!!
[Image][Image]

Thanks again, lb. :onfire

kev.
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

kev wrote:Since both English and French are dominant languages there, many companies release their DVD's with French and English covers.
.....but on the same piece of paper? :wall
OK, bearing in mind Canada is a dual language country your reasoning is sound, but what about the cheap & amateurish artwork? I'd be seriously disappointed if I couldn't knock up something considerably better within 10 minutes in Photoshop.
The transfer appears to be a straight video copy.........I'd even go as far as saying directly from VHS, with the previously mentioned copyright warning requiring editing from the first VOB. Usual practice is for this to be a separate file within the VIDEO_TS folder.
You really are being too kind about the screenshots........'crisp' is not a word you can use to describe them. Bear in mind those I've posted are also the best of many captured & subsequently rejected. The majority were unwatchable, especially those captured from frames involving any video movement whatsoever.
It goes without saying I'll be delighted if the 'monarch' release is of better quality & can upgrade this one...........I have a feeling I'm not alone in considering this worthy of improvement.

lb