[RREL] El Topo (1970) [Mexico]

idler

[RREL] El Topo (1970) [Mexico]

Post by idler »   5 likes

aka The Mole

Just noticed this one is missing - I got the movie in 2004 from FLM.
Alejandro Jodorowsky made it prior to "Holy Mountain"

[Image]
IMDb wrote:The Weird Weird West

So far I had only seen Jodorowsky's "Santa Sangre", but that one happens to be my all-time favorite film! One thing's for sure with this director whenever you check out one of his films for the first time: you should expect the unexpected and prepare yourself for not believing what your own eyes are observing most of the time. Just in case you really have to label "El Topo" with a genre, it would presumably be Western, but that still doesn't give you any idea of the film's content whatsoever. Within the first ten minutes alone, things occur that are already too weird to mention (like grown men shooting at women's shoes and bandits dancing and caressing monks!!) and these sequences aren't relevant to the actual plot yet! Well, I'd love to summarize the main story lines, but the truth is that I didn't understand one iota of it all. The pivot character El Topo, portrayed by the director himself, rides through the desert with a 7-year-old naked kid in tow. He exchanges the kid for a beautiful woman after defeating a gang of thugs and goes on a quest to visit four "masters" of the desert. Subsequently, he joins a community of mountain people and fervently helps them coming out of their dark habitat and into the open world. Yes, it's a very vague description, but that's because I didn't know what was going on anyway. Most likely, you won't either and that's not an insult to your personal intellect! It's just a messed up movie that you mainly just need to watch for its visual brilliance, symbolism and extremely stylish choreography. Every single character that walks through the screen is a demented & complex individual, and the protagonist is the absolute biggest weirdo of them all. He actually claims to be God himself – and really believes it, too – and does the most unpredictable things imaginable. Admittedly, this film isn't suitable for entertainment purposes. It's an intense and demanding experience that you should approach with an open state of mind and loads of patience. Purely elite cinema that can't be compared to anything else ever made.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.46 Gb]

Subs: English, Spanish, French, German
Like this post to see ed2k links  [159.8 Kb]

You be damn sure that this is a boy - movie!

[Image]

Credit to ESELKULT

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067866/
starfish21

Re: [RREL] El Topo (1970) [Mexico]

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

if i remember correct,this is another one of these insane movies,full of surreal characters and madness. :)
idler

Post by idler »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:if i remember correct,this is another one of these insane movies,full of surreal characters and madness. :)
Indeed. :eyecrazy
That might be the reason ghost didn't rebuild the thread.
But this is a quality far superior to the 2004 post, so you can really enjoy the insanity...
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

enough said! i'll take it.

[Image]
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

idler wrote: But this is a quality far superior to the 2004 post, so you can really enjoy the insanity...
i am sold

Thanks idler