[REL] Kid Nation (2007)

FLL

[REL] Kid Nation (2007)

Post by FLL »   2 likes

Currently-running CBS series where they took 40 kids 8-15 and put them in the middle of nowhere for 40 days, with each episode covering 3 or 4 days and including some sort of competition and ending with a group meeting. If this sounds like Survivor, then you've got the right idea: the way the cameras follow people, the way they choose what to follow, and the way the group is manipulated by the host / producers to produce conflict and storylines follows the same formulas as Survivor.

The reception by TV critics has not been great, I think after the August controversy they expected it to be edgier. And in responding to the controversy (charges of child endangerment) CBS was forced to make it clear that the kids weren't really alone. In this context the altruistic ideas some kids have that they are showing the world that they are capable of building and running a society by themselves ring false. But that won't matter, anyway: instead of being voted off, everyone stays (except those who leave due to homesickness) and compete for gold stars worth $20,000 awarded by the "town council". So I expect that the kids' focus will shift and become less altruistic and even more Survivor-like.

I burned out on Survivor after about the third series, but after one episode I find Kid Nation has enough potential to keep me watching. Plus, of course, the kids. I do wish the producers had either filmed later in the year (they started in April) or put the kids on a tropical island, at times they are all bundled up against the cold. I am also a little put off by how brazenly the kids have been manipulated by being divided into a pseudo class-based society in the first episode. But seeing how that turns out is something that will keep me watching.

Official site: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/ (with pics, previews, etc.)

[Image]

There are a number of captures out there of episode 1, this is the best I've found. Others have poor video quality and/or cut off the end (it ran 6 minutes past the hour) or don't have the commercials properly cut. It was posted to Usenet a.b.mm and a.b.tv on 23-Sept if you want to get it that way. I intend to add episodes to this post as they become available.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [524.99 Mb]

Episode 2:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.13 Mb]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1039921/
ARTHORIUS

Re: [REL] Kid Nation (2007)

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

These...Reality-Survivor...can be only interesting when...cameras have access...or better...full and totally access in all corner of the reality-survivor is doing...ehm...

or not??? :eyecrazy

btw seems like to be interesting :thumbsup

thx anyway ;)
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

Oh shit, heard about this on the radio, were saying it may come to the UK, would prefer it to go to France :pray Thanks :cool
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

ARTHORIUS wrote:These...Reality-Survivor...can be only interesting when...cameras have access...or better...full and totally access in all corner of the reality-survivor is doing...ehm...
The kids aren't dumb, I am sure they knew where they could go to get away from the cameras if they really wanted to. It will be interesting to see how the series handles the inevitable boy-girl action among the older ones, my guess is that they play up a romance, showing kissing but no more (maintaining decency by letting the viewer fill in obvious rest) followed by a messy "breakup". But that's just the cynic in me talking :)
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

lol you're right ;)
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

WOW, FLL: Impressively quick on getting this series shared out through the mule!! Great job!!

I missed the first episode 2 weeks ago, but caught the second...

The show is slightly interesting only from a prurient view for me. And not really even that as there isn't that much 'prurient' activity going on! :wall lol Still, there's promise...

I agree, Rich; send the show to France or Sweden!! :think

(However, when the DVD boxset [of THIS series] becomes available next year, I gurantee it will adorn my shelf... ;) )

kev.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   1 likes

I was a huge fan of this show back in the day. And every now and then I'm reminded of it and want to watch it again.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [352.29 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.43 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.12 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [352.29 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [351.03 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.14 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.15 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [349.94 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [349.25 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [349.95 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [350.17 Mb]

As a wise man once said, pictures make all the difference! So here are a few of my favorites...

[Image]
Taylor was the beauty/drama queen. She refused to work but had no problem ordering other people around. Some favorite quotes, "I'm a beauty queen, I don't do dishes." & "Deal with it!"

[Image]
Olivia liked to pretend she was a good Christian girl but when she meets a Hindu kid, her true colors come out.

[Image]
Olivia's sweet and adorable little sister Mallory was an angel compared to her sister.

[Image]
Sophia describes herself as a 30 year old trapped in a 14 year old's body. She is very smart and mature for her age but when she gets bored she likes to play mind games on the other kids.

A few others are from L-R: Sophie, Kelsey, Jasmine, Migle, Leila, Randi, Madison, Natasha & Laurel

[Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image]
vidman49

Post by vidman49 »   1 likes

Thanks FLL and For an Angel for this series.

I loved it. I was not very impressed after the first episode, but watched more. I soon became hooked and kept watching more. And no, FLL - they didn't play up any romances - if anything like that went on - the cameras totally avoided it. By the middle of the series I couldn't wait for more and watched the last 5 episodes over two days. I was sad when it ended - I wanted more.

I am sure some of it was staged, but it was still kids being kids - and it is all kids with only one adult leading a couple of activities. I am NOT a fan of reality TV, but this program was excellent!!

For an Angel, I see why this is one of your favorites. I will definitely watch it again.
katzenjammer

Post by katzenjammer »   0 likes

Can someone reshare eps 4, 6 and 10. Been struggling for some time to get those.