[REL] De que color es el viento (1973) [Mexico]

billanben

[REL] De que color es el viento (1973) [Mexico]

Post by billanben »   0 likes

I am sure one of our members will have this to post !!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321950/

I'm going to summarize everything I can remember about this film, since it is, as far as I can gather, not available for purchase anywhere, and these comments will most likely be of interest only to academic researchers and persons curious about the history of the Mexican cinema.

I saw this film ages ago, when I was just a child, so my memory of it is only hazy. The film concerns two blind children who are friends (thus, the title, which roughly translates "What color is the wind?"). One child, the young boy, comes from a poor family. The other child, a young girl, is from a rich family. Despite the fact that they are of different social classes, their mutual blindness joins them, and the two are inseparable playmates.

Several times, throughout the film, the girl's parents are seen consulting with surgeons and discussing the latest medical procedures which may be able to help her. Later, the girl is seen undergoing these surgeries. But the treatments are to no avail. She remains incurably blind. Then, at some point, near the end of the film, an authority figure of some sort (a teacher? a doctor? I don't recall) takes an interest in the boy when he notes that a new surgical procedure may be able to cure him of his blindness. Despite their initial hesitation, the poor child's parents consent to the procedure (they cannot afford to pay for it, but the doctors have agreed to perform the surgery for free). The procedure proves to be a success. When the doctors remove the child's bandages, he is able to see. The doctor then warns the child that whatever he does, he is not to stare directly at the Sun, as this could render him blind again.

Overjoyed by the successful surgery, the young boy returns to see his friend, only to find that the girl's mother refuses to allow him to see her. Class differences, easily overlooked when both children were blind, now rear their ugly heads. The young girl's mother explains that it is no longer appropriate that the children should play together, given that he, a poor boy, can see while she, a rich girl, remains blind. The boy is distraught, and angry. In gaining his sight, he has lost his best friend and playmate. Now, in the final scene, we see the young boy outside, lying on his back, with his face towards the sky. He opens his eyes and stares at the Sun, just as the doctors had warned him not to do. For a moment the camera shows the bright Sun above, as from the boy's perspective. But it is only for a moment. The child thinks twice. He closes his eyes before the damage is done, then picks himself up off the ground and runs down the hill yelling out to a group of boys who are playing soccer down below to let him join in their game. The film ends.

The only other thing I remember about the film was the refrain from the title song, which went: "¿De qué color es el viento? / Dímelo / Dímelo" that is, "What color is the wind? / Tell me / Tell me."

http://cvmc.net/movie.jsp?movie_id=381

The story of two children, one child, a young boy, comes from a poor family. The other child, a young girl, is from a rich family. Despite the fact that they are of different social classes, their mutual blindness joins them, and the two are inseparable playmates. The girl eventually under goes surgery. But the treatment is to no avail and remains incurably blind. A doctor takes an interest in the boy and notes that a new surgical procedure may be able to cure him of his blindness. The procedure proves to be a success. When the doctors remove the child's bandages, he is able to see, but doctor then warns him that whatever he does, he is not to stare directly at the Sun, as this could render him blind again. Overjoyed by the successful surgery, the young boy returns to see his friend, only to find that the girl's mother refuses to allow him to see her. Class differences, easily overlooked when both children were blind, now rear their ugly heads. The young girl's mother explains that it is no longer appropriate that the children should play together, given that he, a poor boy, can see while she, a rich girl, remains blind. The boy is distraught, angry and lying on his back, with his face towards the sky he opens his eyes and stares at the Sun, just as the doctors had warned him not to do. Melodrama from mexico and part of the history of the Mexican cinema series. Sensitive with some unique camera work.

A BIG please for this one !!!
abel

Re: [REQ] De que color es el viento (1973) [Mexico]

Post by abel »   0 likes

Oh, yess, I remember this movie long time ago! Was beautiful, and with very strong, well, if you wish, OT scene, when both kids, boy and girl, still blind, strip and run completely naked on the beach. The power of the scene was for me in the innocent and just natural behavior of both kids. Later on we see that the innocence was only connected to their blindness, the moment the kids were able to see each other it was finished, class and other "adult" differencies emerged. Very strong message, and I join myself to Billanbens plea!
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

hmm, this has been requested in the past, must have deleted when the server went down a couple of years ago :think thanks for the description abel, for sure sounds interesting :cool
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

- BUMP -
CIC wrote: De que color es el viento (Mexico, 1972)
Also Known As:

What Color Is the Wind?
Какого цвета ветер?
tolsty

Post by tolsty »   0 likes

De Qué Color Es el Viento on TV
New York [Set TV Provider], May 2 2001
CHANNEL De Pelicula
http://www.locatetv.com/movie/de-que-co ... to/2894510
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Thanks for the info....anyone i think it will ready with a dvd recorder lol :thumbsup
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   50 likes

the whole movie is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXgqEMB8PU

downloded,joined,resized and converted.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [582.18 Mb]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Appreciated, starfish. I was looking for it but didn't think of GooTube. From the number of recent additions here, that may be one of the first places to find rare ones like this. Thanks again.
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Don't know why ppl postin rare ones on youtube that the quality is very low and not put in a p2p like emule...why?