[REL] Back Home (1990) TV

loverboy

[REL] Back Home (1990) TV

Post by loverboy »   14 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099084/
Back Home is a children's historical novel by Michelle Magorian, first published in 1984. The novel was adapted into a TV drama, Back Home (1990), starring Hayley Mills and Haley Carr, and again in 2001 starring Sarah Lancashire, Stephanie Cole and Jessica Fox.

Virginia 'Rusty' Dickinson is the main protagonist of the novel. The story centres on her return to England in 1945 from Connecticut, where she was sent as a child evacuee in 1939, when the war broke out.

Much to her disappointment, Rusty finds England hidebound, run-down, boring and totally devoid of any decent food. Her mother, Peggy, is an awkward woman who, all her life, had been dominated by her parents, husband and mother-in-law. During the war, Peggy came out of her shell and became a skilled car mechanic. She is stiff and hurt when the Americanised Virginia returns home. However, Rusty does initially have one ally - the kindly and eccentric Beattie Langley, in whose Devon home her mother and brother have been staying throughout the war, before they return to the family home (Rusty and Charlie's grandmother's house) in Guildford.

Rusty is initially rejected by her brother, Charlie, who was born after she had been sent to America. She is baffled by the range and scale of rationing, rules she is not used to, and the people around her, and longs to return to her host family in Connecticut. Rusty struggles to deal with her peers and teachers at boarding school, her spiteful grandmother, stiff mother, and strict and violent father when he returns from war, but her tough spirit helps her through it and leads to her happiness in the end.
It's only really the 1990 version we're interested in. Jessica Fox was outside the FLM age range by 2001.

This was lifted from CG as a tiny (& I mean tiny) resolution rip of I guess TV/VHS capture. I've had a go at it in VDub & cleaned up the audio but it's not great although definitely watchable. It's rare though so let's enjoy it & view it as a release ripe for an upgrade!

[Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image][Image]

File Name .......: Back Home 1990 loverboy edit.avi
File Size .......: 1,304.05 MB
Duration ........: 01:42:33
Video Codec .....: XviD MPEG-4 codec
Video Bitrate ...: 1617 KB/s
Resolution ......: 640 x 416
Aspect Ratio ....: 1.53:1
Framerate .......: 29.970 FPS
Audio Codec .....: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
Audio Bitrate ...: 160 KB/s (CBR)
Channels ........: 2 Ch
Language .......: ENGLISH

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.27 Gb]

I'll be sharing this for two-and-half days until Saturday AM (UK time) when my eMule will be shut down for nearly a week.

lb
ptguardian

Re: [REL] Back Home (1990) TV

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Probably the same rip that is on youtube. I will see if I can find the vhs somewhere for cheap. Thanks for introducing. :D
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:Probably the same rip that is on youtube. I will see if I can find the vhs somewhere for cheap. Thanks for introducing. :D
It certainly isn't/wasn't the YouTube rip.....the aspect ratio is different with that being fullscreen & my source wider. Quality of The YouTube version is also ever crappier than what I had to work with! I'm sure an upgrade would be appreciated though.

lb
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Very cool, lb!!

Many thanks on this one! I started my d/load last night and it's almost finished, so the intense sharing is greatly appreciated! That along with the work you put into cleaning it up for re-release! :D

It's sounds like you'll be out of touch for awhile. Keep safe and hopefully it's an absence that you'll enjoy. :thumbsup

kev.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

loverboy wrote:
ptguardian wrote:Probably the same rip that is on youtube. I will see if I can find the vhs somewhere for cheap. Thanks for introducing. :D
It certainly isn't/wasn't the YouTube rip.....the aspect ratio is different with that being fullscreen & my source wider. Quality of The YouTube version is also ever crappier than what I had to work with! I'm sure an upgrade would be appreciated though.

lb
Actually the aspect is the same. If you crop off the tracking lines you get same aspect size. Whether they are the exact same source is irrelevant. They are both obvious vhs rips and with yours being without tracking lines and audio cleaned it is the best rip available. I am sure if I do find a vhs that I could upgrade but I can't find one for under 10 bucks currently so I will sit on purchasing hoping for a price drop. Until then as you said your rip is quite watchable, rare and best available. Thanks for the release :D