[REL] Here Come The Double Deckers! (1970)

starfish21

Re: [REL] Here Come The Double Deckers! (1970)

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

I don't believe we've wasted our time,Phuzz,it's good to have a little discussion now and again,the like system was intended to reward the guys who provide,and it works fine when its used honestly,i've spent countless hours of my time,and god knows how much bandwidth on releases here,and i like checking up on them now and then,seeing how popular(or not) they've been,i get a little lift to see a release of mine with a load of likes.
but something just occurred to me,why do we even have an 'unlike' function at all? i suggest getting rid of it.
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:I hesitate to open my mouth because I'm stuck right in the middle and there isn't a 'good' response that won't make someone mad. Someone is certain to think I'm taking sides, condoning bad behavior, what-have-you.

ptguardian is 100% correct - there are many other ways to get a file in your queue without clicking a link. We use freekin' EMULE, fer cryin' out loud. Anyone and everyone can download whatever you SHARE. If you want to keep something only "within the family" this is the WRONG platform.

By the same reasoning, if you're offered something of value - in this case a film - you shouldn't take it if you're incapable of giving at least a small token of respect or thanks. Anyone who's spent time finding and releasing something knows it can be a time-taker, and the long-time posters usually go to the extra effort to include info, screen shots, and more. Nobody's looking for adulation but we all appreciate at least an acknowledgement of our efforts.

'Likes' are meaningless. I think I'm #2 in the standings but probably half of those really belong to ptg because he finds great short files on YouTube or Vimeo and I merely get them into ed2k format. They're HIS likes, not mine, or at least the result of teamwork. If likes are so important to loverboy, starfish, whoever, then maybe mimzy can split mine up between you. I certainly won't miss them, and if that's what it takes to make you happy...

I feel like I should be telling a bunch of you to go take a nap or sit in a corner or something. We're freekin' adults here... I think. If you're determined you want to be angry, then step away and go do something else for awhile. Everyone has made their points, we've all wasted a bunch of time on this, and it ain't gonna go anywhere but downhill, so it's time to drop it and move on.
I'm struggling to believe you're spouting such a load of rubbish.....

You may think PTG is 100% correct but to the best of my knowledge he is the only releaser to have specifically requested some of his releases are not shared elsewhere. This seems somewhat contrary to your statement 'within the family'.

Of course my releases can be found from an eMule search using my tag (that has previously proved very useful) but in this instance the download started so quickly I refuse to believe this is just a coincidence.

I think you're missing the point in respect of my views concerning the 'like' function. I really have no strong feelings about it other than the fact it has caused problems recently. Lots of likes = found the spot, no likes = missed the mark & the releaser should learn something from this. My concern is abuse of the function & deliberate removal of a 'like' for whatever reason. I was pissed enough at this happening in the first place without having admin basically condoning this.

Please don't tell me to take a nap, sit in the corner or whatever, you're just starting to show yourself up. As you well know I have reported an abusive, anonymous PM received following this little episode. You had an opportunity to resolve an almost carbon-copy of this nearly 2 years ago & failed miserably. Are you now proposing dealing with this in the same inept way?

Maybe YOU should consider stepping away and go do something else for awhile as I'm beginning to have no respect for your style of posting or moderation.

lb
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Maybe the time wasn't all a waste, but I've spent a couple hours on this topic today and there's still hard feelings between some of the players, some of it against me. At this point nobody's going to change their minds or their way of doing things, good or bad.

When I release something I feel like a kid who brings a treasure to his friends and says, "wow, share this with me, isn't it neat?" not like "heh heh I got something you don't got." If no one else likes my treasure so much, I don't lose ANYTHING by sharing it. If more of our 99% 'silent majority' membership would take that attitude, this place would be hopping.

This just in while I was responding to starfish...
loverboy wrote:Please don't tell me to take a nap, sit in the corner or whatever, you're just starting to show yourself up. As you well know I have reported an abusive, anonymous PM received following this little episode. You had an opportunity to resolve an almost carbon-copy of this nearly 2 years ago & failed miserably. Are you now proposing dealing with this in the same inept way?

Maybe YOU should consider stepping away and go do something else for awhile as I'm beginning to have no respect for your style of posting or moderation.
The abusive anonymous PM was responded to and that person has decided to move on and no longer be at FLM. Like I said, I've spent hours on this shit today trying to clean up a mess I didn't start and certainly didn't need. As far as carbon-copy of 2 years ago, you're correct and you were a big reason THAT shit-pile was kept stirred up for no good reason. It was weeks of two immature people stirring up the cesspool because their egos couldn't be raised above the 8-year-old level. "MOM! She's looking at me again! Waaah!" and I was dumb enough to step into that and get crap thrown at me from both sides.

You may be right, it may be time for me to step away, not because I give a royal rat's ass whether you respect my style of posting, moderation, or any other opinion you have of me, but because I don't need the headaches of trying to keep just a few children in line so the adults can enjoy themselves.

Anyone besides loverboy want me to step aside, just say the word.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

I just arrived, I'm tired and haven't read all this crap yet, but...
loverboy wrote:Well.....the forum fuckwits strike again.

One user downloading Episode 10 & zero likes. What kind of retarded douchebag likes & then unlikes a post simply to get the link?
Firstly, it is not necessary to like and unlike a link. There are other ways to get links, for example using eMule search. Secondly, liking and unliking a link is not against forum rules and would be IMO justified in certain cases (ie., if the releaser ceases to share the file before it is complete, or kicks the downloader from queue). Thirdly, publishing eMule nick and/or IP of any user on the public forum is IMO absolutely unacceptable. Looks like this needs to be explicitly mentioned in the forum rules.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

kev: you're what might be called a non-tech admin. ;) There is tons of stuff to be found in the server logs, if anyone has the time or the inclination to trawl through all that.

mimzy: I've seen some sites with a counter - 'downloaded <this many> times'. It is incremented every time a link is clicked. Maybe that would be a better indicator. :think:

I'm afraid I pay very little attention to the likes counts; in fact, I use it for posts that I like and agree with or appreciate, even though there are no links contained in it. I have liked informative posts, humorous posts, etc. That said, the idea of deliberately 'unliking' a post raises my hackles a bit, too. It's bad netiquette and the best spin I can put on it is that it was done in ignorance, and not with deliberate malicious intent. Like Phuzzy and mimzy, I too am aware of who this user is, and I'm sure that this was not malicious.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

I think people should be able to express their opinion. If the release was really bad, why not 'unlike' it? The biggest flaw of the 'like' button is IMO that many users apparently haven't realized they can also like posts without eMule links.

I agree that 'unliking' a post after getting the links is impolite and disrespectful to the releaser, but having or not having a button, does not change the respect, does it?

Remember that each user has only one 'like' they can give to a post (or take), so a single user cannot affect the total like count much.

Finally, I heard from a user (and verified) that there is a bug in the forum software that allows registered users to get eMule links without liking a post at all. I gotta fix this, but since people can 'like' and 'unlike' a post (or use eMule search if they really want to avoid liking) anyway, it does not make a big difference.
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   1 likes

Came home today to a Low ID situation. eMule & router need switching off for a reboot although this may not occur for a day or so due to thunderstorms again.

lb