[REL] The Book Thief (2013)

donkeykog

[REL] The Book Thief (2013)

Post by donkeykog »   3 likes

The Book Thief (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816442/

[Image]
The 550-page, World War II-era novel, narrated by Death, tells the story of Liesel Meminger from the time she is taken at age 9 to live with a foster family in a German working-class neighborhood. Liesel arrives having just stolen her first book, "The Gravediggers Handbook" -- it will be the beginning of a love affair with books.

Starring Sophie Nélisse -

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4563869/

Also in FLM Film: Monsieur Lazhar (2011) - https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... eur+Lazhar

[Image]
Sophie Nélisse is a Canadian child actress, best known for her Genie Award-winning performance in Monsieur Lazhar. She also went on to win the Jutra award for her performance as well as earning a Young Artist Award nomination as Best Leading Young Actress in an International Feature Film. She also had roles in the film Ésimésac and in a Quebec sitcom called Les Parents. She will portray Liesel Meminger in the upcoming film version of the best selling novel; The Book Thief, set to release on November 15, 2013. her sister is actress Isabelle Nelisse

[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Release Dates
USA 3 October 2013 (Mill Valley Film Festival)
USA 22 October 2013 (Chicago International Film Festival)
USA 15 November 2013
Denmark 16 January 2014
Russia 30 January 2014
Brazil 31 January 2014
Sweden 31 January 2014
UK 31 January 2014
Argentina 6 February 2014
Belarus 6 February 2014
Czech Republic 6 February 2014
Kazakhstan 6 February 2014
Russia 6 February 2014
Germany 13 February 2014
Italy 13 February 2014
Belgium 19 February 2014
Singapore 27 February 2014
France 12 March 2014
Netherlands 13 March 2014
Spain 21 March 2014
For An Angel

Re: The Book Thief (2013) [USA]

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

This looks like a great movie! I hadn't heard of it and now I can't wait to see it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   1 likes

Reminder that this film comes out today! If you can't watch the movie then this interview is a good substitute because it's almost as long as the movie. ;)

donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Thanks FAA! :lol: Some of her responses are classic :shock: :lol:
donkeykog

So did anyone get to see this? How was it? FAA? I want to see it, but will have to wait awhile.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   1 likes

I saw it and I loved it! Don't let the critics dissuade you. About half of them didn't like it but most regular viewers loved it. The main criticism was how it treated the atrocities of the holocaust with "kid gloves" but considering the fact that this is a PG-13 movie based on a book aimed at children, in my opinion the film's tone was just right. The main point of the film, that many good people were caught up in the whirlwind that was Nazism after WWI, was an interesting story to tell and it told it with surprising compassion. For me, the most powerful scene was the one in which the group of German schoolkids (including Leisel) sing the racist song at a school assembly. Without the English subtitles and the giant swastika flags hanging behind them, you'd think they were singing a nursery rhyme. This movie is proof that you don't need graphic violence to depict this period in history. It may be too "innocent" for jaded cynics but it's perfect for the young at heart.

Sophie Nelisse (aka my new avy :heart) is beautiful in this. She has at least 90% screen time and ages from about 9 to around 14 and does so convincingly. The warm relationship she shares with the young man they hide in their basement is also a good part of the story.
Last edited by For An Angel on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   2 likes

Awesome FAA! :D :D :D

I can't wait to see it!

And thanks again for that interview! I have NEVER seen such an honest interview. I can see why this is your Avatar FAA. Holy Crap (watch the whole int).

What do you guys think?
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

Wow!!

I saw this last night and there were scenes that had me bawlin' like a baby.. (I also have a cold right now and when I'm sick my emotions hang loosely on my sleeve.. ;) )

I think FAA's assessment of the critiques surrounding the film so far is correct: The Nazi's were STILL portrayed as villainous without having repeated scenes of gratuitous violence; and the story line was a beautifully woven tale of love, faithfulness and the celebration of life in the face of extreme adversity. As a 'regular theater-goer' I felt the film 'hit the right buttons' for me. :)
Spoiler:

I felt the 'Narrator' had some of the best lines.. :heart

The one line that really had me bawlin' was "Rudy just rolled into my arms.."

And, of course, the last line, "..I am haunted by humans..", left me with a wonderfully melancholy feeling. Though I probably don't understand what it means, it brings to mind the movie 'The Others' where the family of ghosts are 'haunted' by humans..
I can't wait for this film to hit Blu-Ray & DVD... :heart

I think this is a must-see for fans of this site...

kev.
donkeykog

Thanks for the reviews! I can't wait to see it! :D
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

FYI, Screener hit scene with good dvdrip picture and sound with a few brief times a water mark pops up, so seldom you may not even notice it is a screener. :)

http://torrentz.eu/searchA?f=The.Book.Thief+2013