Annoying automatic setting change

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
deadman

Annoying automatic setting change

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Every so often my eMule changes something all by itself and my uploads start transferring in 9.3 MB chunks followed by automatic disconnections rather than going continuously until finished. I can't find whatever setting in the Options menu needs to be fixed, so I have to restart the client and it takes a while for the Kad connection to be fully open whenever you do that. How do I prevent this and/or change the setting back when it happens?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Annoying automatic setting change

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

9.3MB is the standard chunk size. If you're downloading from someone with a full queue, you're automatically disconnected and go to the end of the line again so someone else has a chance to download their 9.3MB chunk. If you're downloading from someone that doesn't have a full queue, it will keep sending to you until his queue fills up or until your client needs the bandwidth and disconnects from him.

Right now my queue isn't full and I have 26 people that have downloaded at least 250MB since they connected this time, and several with more than 800MB so far this connection. This is how eMule is supposed to work.

I'd be careful about shutting down eMule or Kad and then reopening because your client is only allowed to poll the other sender a certain number of times within a certain time frame or it will be banned and the sender will refuse to let your client in until another time limit has passed. I can't tell you for certain what those times are because I think they're different for various eMule clients like Scar or Morph.

eMule is a patience program - you must have patience because it may be slow but it almost always gets there. ;)
deadman

Phuzzy4242 wrote:9.3MB is the standard chunk size. If you're downloading from someone with a full queue, you're automatically disconnected and go to the end of the line again so someone else has a chance to download their 9.3MB chunk. If you're downloading from someone that doesn't have a full queue, it will keep sending to you until his queue fills up or until your client needs the bandwidth and disconnects from him.
When my eMule client starts, uploaders get a continuous connection. A peer's name remains there the whole time and the Transferred column shows however much they've gotten so far - if it's a 5 GB file for example and they're about halfway done it could show 2.49 GB. After the setting change occurs: the peer's name disappears after 9.3 MB are transferred, often (but not always) reappearing in a few seconds, and the Transferred counter starts over from zero. You will never see a number larger than 9.3 MB in that column again. Something has definitely changed.

I'd rather have someone who starts an upload finish it quickly and become a new source than have five of them doing it piecemeal like that. Do you know which setting toggles between unbroken connections and 9.3 MB intermittent ones? It must be there in the menu someplace, it just has a label that doesn't make its function overly clear.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

There isn't a setting that does that and your settings don't change by themselves. If people are getting dropped at 9.3MB, your queue has gotten full. You might try adjusting the maximum upload rate. Bandwidth is split between all the people connected, so changing the KB/s changes the split and adjusts how many people can connect at any one time. Changing that a little bit can sometimes help get your queue to empty faster. The only other things that can speed a particular downloader is to give them a friend slot or get faster internet.
deadman

I'm telling you, it goes from allowing connections to be stable through an entire file and counting off gigabytes of transfer to suddenly cutting them off every 9.3 MB and never counting any higher than that. Whatever it is, it's abrupt - I was actually checking the display once as it happened. Every connection dropped and then came back with those new limitations. My downloads also dropped out at the same moment. Other applications didn't experience an interruption of internet access, I checked. Only eMule was affected.

I'll have to do more research to find out what that's about and why it does this occasionally. It's not because my queue got overloaded though. I've had ten simultaneous uploads and it didn't happen, and only four the one time I witnessed it. Oh well. I was hoping there was a simple answer. Thanks for trying to help. :)