[REL] How Does It Start (2019) [USA]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
miih

[REL] How Does It Start (2019) [USA]

Post by miih »   2 likes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8825914/

It's 1983 and 12-year-old Rain wants sex, the only problem is she has no idea what that means. With her self-absorbed parents distracted by their recent divorce, Rain is left alone to navigate the complexities of love and adulthood, and learns to do it her own way. ~ IMDB

[Image]

It is on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/378619616
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] How Does It Start (2019) [USA]

Post by ghost »   59 likes

ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Since it is in English and it is short...
maybe somebody can transcribe a dialog (about 140 lines)?
Timestamps for srt I can do myself
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I will give it a try. I am working on it now.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Dialog here as best I can do:
How Does It Start (2019).dialog.zip
The lead actress gets the Marlon Brando award for mumbling, and the director the Robert Altman award for overlapping dialog. She even overlaps the narrator with herself so that in a few places only words or phrases are distinguishable. Ultimately it is not meant for it to be completely clear, but rather impressionistic.

It's been two years since I last watched this. The 1980's Woman's Self-Help advice was realistic for the time in its absurdity ... and a little sad. It was so naive I was not sure how much the girl was reading and how much she was writing herself. Giving a man a manicure is the way to his heart?? For metrosexuals, I guess.

I hope Gen Z girls are doing better with relationships, but I doubt it.

A few non-dialog parts I put in brackets [ ].

One part of the girl's narration I played on a loop over a hundred times and it still made no sense. The closest I got was
[08:34-08:36] encourage your intelligence.
She does not actually say "encourage" but that is the closest sensible thing I could come up with.

ferdi111, when you finish your subtitles make sure to post them here! I am sure there are others who are unclear with this girl's dialog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ferdi111

Night457 wrote: The lead actress gets the Marlon Brando award for mumbling, and the director the Robert Altman award for overlapping dialog. She even overlaps the narrator with herself
That overlapping and mumbling were horrinle.
So thank you for your effort.
Here is that srt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

ferdi111 wrote:That overlapping and mumbling were horrinle.
It was an "artistic choice." Not one I personally am overly enthusiastic about, but still. When it turns the dialog into random phrases that a native English speaker interprets as gibberish, then everyone else does not have to worry about trying to make sense of it either. On a few occasions it seemed as if the beginning of a sentence from one audio edit was smoothly connected to part of another sentence from another audio edit, so someone might think it was ONE sentence that was supposed to make sense. I have read plenty of Burroughs with his cut-up technique, so I was prepared to "go with the flow," so to speak.

And it was easier for me than trying to figure out Swedish. ;)
ferdi111

That naivity and absurdity made this one somehow watchable
Night457
Global Moderator

A young girl's idea of what appeals to boys reflects what actually appeals to her as a girl, just as young boys think that girls like the same things they do. And it is very funny indeed! This is the part I love the most:
"Things to do with your hands that men like."
Massage the back of his legs when he's standing up.
Give him a manicure.
Light a candle next to the bed.
Hold his big hand in your dear little ones at the cinema.
Plant a tree with him.
Put his belt....
Put your fingertips across his mouth.
Rearrange his tie after you've both mussed it.
And every single guy thinks, "You are missing the single most important thing, dear."

I am so very non-macho but this all so very girly.
ferdi111

Not sure how romantic it is by oppinion of girls when a boyfriend wish to make a manicure to
them (unless he is professional and even then,,,)
Suddenly in the candlelight something a la "Sweetheart, I wish to cut your toenails"