Rich

[REL] Swallowtail (1996)

Post by Rich »   25 likes

kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Swallowtail (1996)

Post by kev »   2 likes

*BUMP!*

Rich_Visiting made a post in the 'Childhood Links' forum that reminded me of this film.

It's been a long, LOOONG time since I've seen this movie; probably around the time that Rich made his original post. Despite the passage of time, I remember being captivated by this film. I have the DVD for this in storage, I'll have to try and dig it out if I can't find this film streaming out there.. :think

If his eD2k links don't still work, THIS is a movie worth looking for.

Synopsis:
After a young girl's mother dies, she is cared for by Glico, a brassy hooker, who gives the girl the name "Ageha" (Butterfly). Ageha goes to work for a collection of oddballs who run a junkyard and salvage business.

Yentown, (Swallowtail's original title), is a prime example of Japanese cinema at it's finest. Combining music and politics, drama and action, social commentary and humor, art film and popular film, Yentown is a true post-modern experience, rich both in style and in content.

Basically, Yentown is about dreams. The story revolves around a group of poverty-stricken immigrants, to whom a sudden twist of fate gives the opportunity to literally make money and thus realize their dreams. Unfortunately, their luck is not without it's consequences, and even if they get what they've always dreamed of, they may realize they've chasen the wrong dream. This may not be the most original of ideas, but the story is told with such energy and originality, and with such sympathetic characters, that the viewer soon forgets the familiriaty of the basic plot.

Yentown is a type of film that gets even better on multiple viewings. The story is told in a non-linear way which can make the film seem a bit confusing, at least when seen for the first time. There are elements (and even characters) in Yentown used mainly as metaphors, and to careless viewer it may appear that the film doesn't quite properly tie up it's threads. But if the viewer has the courage and patience to watch a film quite different from our Western tradition, Yentown will reward him/her with an unique blend of emotion, wit and beauty.
Pix:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Possible Direct Links:
Swallowtail Butterfly (1996)

Great film; deserves MUCH more acknowledgement than it has received! :bigups

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   14 likes

ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   36 likes

kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Thanks ghost!

NOW this is a MUCH more fitting thread for this mostly unknown gem of a film! :heart

:bigups

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Hmm, maybe it's just me, but she didn't seem that young to me. If she is, she's pushing the very top of the on-topic definition. The synopsis only says she's a 'young girl', and indeed in some scenes she looks younger than 16, but in others she appears much more adult, both in looks and behavior. In any case, I'm not pushing to call this off-topic, just my opinion.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Hmm, maybe it's just me, but she didn't seem that young to me. If she is, she's pushing the very top of the on-topic definition. The synopsis only says she's a 'young girl', and indeed in some scenes she looks younger than 16, but in others she appears much more adult, both in looks and behavior. In any case, I'm not pushing to call this off-topic, just my opinion.
In IMDBs mini-bio of Ayumi Itô it says:
Her distinctive style led to her critically acclaimed performance in Swallowtail Butterfly, directed by the renowned Director Shunji Iwai. At 16-years-old, Ayumi was awarded both the Best New Actress Award as well as the Best Supporting Actress Award at the 20th Annual Japanese Academy Awards.
She was born April 14, 1980 and the movie was released September 14, 1996. She is indeed at the top age range. Maybe by depicting her as "poverty-stricken," the movie makes her look even older.

Now I guess I have to download and watch this to see for myself. Thank you (chronologically by post) Rich, kev, Phuzzy, ghost!