Application Tip for downloading Movies from the German Public TV (All OS)

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Nasuada

Application Tip for downloading Movies from the German Public TV (All OS)

Post by Nasuada »   4 likes

The German public TV Stations deliver us a huge source of different Movies in ther own Media libraries like the ZDF or ARD Library.
Sadly they need to remove the movies after some time, but it's simple to safe them. You can use different Plugins fro Browser or you can also using a free app, named "MediathekView" who is running under Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
With this App you can search in all Librarys of ARD, ZDF, Arte, 3Sat, SWR, BR, MDR, NDR, WDR, HR, RBB, ORF and SRF. BUt it's not only a search and downloader, you can also Access the Infos about the movie, programming automatic downloads for Series or creating a personal subscription list
If you would download a Movie, you have the choice what quality you want and if you want to safe the subtitles (if available) and the Info in a seperate TXT File.
If you are not sure if the File is the right one, you can also start a simple playing of the movie over VLC (you need to install that free Player -> Video Lan Client).

And this is how it looks:
3BA5112F-057B-47B0-ACE6-F4431A4EA1FA.png
Important: You need to live in Germany to watch or download the movies. If you are using a Proxy or VPN, you need to try if you can access this service.

Download: https://mediathekview.de/

PS: There is also a Web Version available under https://mediathekviewweb.de, where you can search, watch and safe the movies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

Re: Application Tip for downloading Movies from the German Public TV (All OS)

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote: but it's simple to safe them.
To save or to safe them, THAT's the question..... :? :? :D :) :mrgreen: :icon_givebeer :dontgetit

I'm kidding, dude. This is a great tip, Nasuada!! As soon as I get my ass into gear and my VPN sorted, I'll check that out.

Now, where did I put that Fernsehen Guide again ..... ?? :?: :dontgetit
:dontgetit :confused
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

You can save all the movies in your private video safe ;-)

What do you mean with "where I put that Fernsehn Guide..." ?
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thanks for this, Nasuada!

I wanted to use this specifically for extracting captions / untertitels. I managed to get the mediathekview installed but I currently can not get the exe to run, so I tried to use the web version instead. I managed to find the video I was interested in without any problem:

https://www.ardmediathek.de/video/kisse ... ildContent

https://mediathekviewweb.de/#query=Die% ... where=true

I can play the video even while using a Canadian-server VPN, and I can view the untertitels while watching the video, but I can not download the untertitels. The video I CAN download. In the web version of mediathekview in the Video - UT section I only get a ? and nothing will download them.

ANYONE who uses this, is there some trick I am missing? Thank you!

P.S.: Yes, I realize that the German subtitles for this title are at Opensubtitles, but I am using this as a test to see if I can get OTHER subtitles from ardmediathek in the future! I used IDM until my Trial period ran out.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Normally IDM can detect subtitles in your browser and download them (sorry, that your trial period is over...).

But this site seems to be tricky. I have TubeDigger installed and it found the subtitles at once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Thank you for retrieving the subs! I liked IDM mainly for that ability, because I usually had one of my other software options that would get the video itself. For this video it detected multiple quality versions but not the subtitles, before it came back with the message shortly after that it was expired.

Mediathekview should get subtitles from ardmediathek (at least sometimes), and I THINK that I used the online version before to get them. It still accesses the videos.

It seems websites like to change their caption coding so that youtube-dl, jdownloader and various online extractors can no longer detect them. They are like dragons jealously hoarding their gold! They give away the video for free, but ooooooh that little text file is valuable!

Tubedigger, yeah, another paid program. I am cheap.
Night457
Global Moderator

UPDATE::

Gawd, I am so STUPID! Since nothing I have works on all sites, I have many different software options available to me, some of which I use rarely. I need to keep a checklist so I know which ones I have tried for any given site. Apparently due to a memory lapse I neglected to try one of the most obvious (youtube-dl) for ardmediathek. It turns out that it will grab the subtitles as a TTML file, which SubtitleEdit will convert to a SRT. It still has the color-coding, but I remove that quickly and easily all the time.

Maybe the 4 hours+ of fighting with IDM gave me brain burnout?

I do still want to get better at using mediathekview. Maybe I can figure out what I did wrong with my installation.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

to try one of the most obvious (youtube-dl)
Oh cool, that it worked with youtube-dl! I have it, but I rarely never use it, becaue it failed for me most of the time.
Night457
Global Moderator

It works for many sites other than YouTube. Often Jdownloader is faster for the sites where both work. In this case Jdownloader did NOT recognize the subtitles but ytdl did. Other sites I have to use a stream downloader on ts files.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   1 likes

For downloading encrypted MPD/m3u8 I have to recommend the software "Streamfab"! It has a generic MPD downloader where you use the browser built into it to browse to the streaming site (ANY site, not just hulu/netflix/all the ones listed) and it will detect and decrypt the stream then remux them.