How They Make Babies Cry In TV And Movies | Movies Insider

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Night457
Global Moderator

How They Make Babies Cry In TV And Movies | Movies Insider

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Infinity

Re: How They Make Babies Cry In TV And Movies | Movies Insider

Post by Infinity »   0 likes

I remember watching this a while back, blew my mind!

Thanks for sharing.
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I have read all sorts of horror stories about how terrible directors can be, so I assumed they just yelled at the babies.

Check out this IMDB trivia about 7-year-old Margaret O'Brien in Meet Me in St Louis (1944):
Vincente Minnelli was impressed with Margaret O'Brien's exceptional acting at such a young age, though he found some of her methods "enervating". Minnelli explained, "Her mother and aunt would whisper to her just before we shot the dramatic sequences and, like the salivating of Pavlov's dog, Margaret would get highly emotional and cry. I often wondered what they said to her to get that reaction. I was soon to learn." Minnelli, according to his autobiography, discovered one of O'Brien's techniques during the scene in which Tootie, upset over the thought of leaving St. Louis, tearfully takes a stick to the snow people in the backyard and violently knocks them down. "Her mother came to me," said Minnelli. "'Margaret's angry at me tonight. She doesn't want me to work her up for the scene. You'll have to do it.' 'But how?' I asked. 'She has a little dog,' her mother replied. 'You'll have to say someone is going to kill that dog.'" Minnelli was reluctant to do something that seemed so harsh, but O'Brien's mother convinced him that it would elicit the emotional response that was needed for her to do the important scene. Minnelli eventually told O'Brien what her mother suggested about her dog, and on cue, the tears began to flow on camera. "She did the scene in one take...mercifully for me...and went skipping happily off the set," said Minnelli. "I went home feeling like a monster... I marvel that Margaret didn't turn out to be one too. That sort of preparation struck me as most unhealthy." In her mother's defense, years later O'Brien claimed that the story was false. "My mother would never have allowed that," said O'Brien in 2004. "June Allyson was also a big crier at the studio, and so we had a little contest going: who was the best crier? So, all my mother would have to say if I had a hard time crying was that maybe she'd better have the makeup man come over and spray the false tears instead of my crying the real tears, and that would upset me terribly, and then I would cry."
I am not sure who to believe, because directors are storytellers and actresses play make-believe for a living. They also lie to protect their horrible stage mothers.

I went on from the first video to other videos on how TO STOP a baby from crying, when there are not the obvious problems of food, diapers or illness. Now THAT is the sort of thing that needs to be done in movies: set a POSITIVE example some of the time! So many parents fumble around cluelessly.

By the way, I can't stand crying babies. Especially in movies, where there is no good reason for it other than annoying the audience. I posted the video as an exercise in masochism.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I can't stand crying babies. Especially in movies, where there is no good reason for it other than annoying the audience.
That's not only you. It makes my head explode. :icon_surrender
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost
Site Admin

Night457 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:19 am ... with dark forebodings too?

:icon_frown2 :icon_frown2 :icon_frown2
Pink Floyd could not have described it better. :roll: Please spare us crying babies.
Night457
Global Moderator

I briefly looked for movies that would have lots of them, but Google was not very helpful. Maybe I should try IMDB keyword search.

One of the great things about modern film technique is that they can make CGI babies and the real ones can keep off filmsets and stay happily at home. Of course this would make the movies ineligible for FLM because we don't do animation! Double win!
ghost
Site Admin

I think you found a new hobby, Night :lol: