[REL] Tolko ostrov ne vozmyosh s soboy (1980)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Tolko ostrov ne vozmyosh s soboy (1980)

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:10 am Thank you pillowbaker, this one is new to me!

How am I supposed to follow the lipsynch when the girl is doing pirouettes and pliés that drop her out of frame? ;)

Soviet films of that era were mostly all postsynch dubbed, the same as in other places like Italy or Hong Kong. Even with the best dubbers the synch was sometimes loose. Also, children were often dubbed by squeaky adults. This film according to IMDB was in Russian and Azerbaijani languages, so if it was dubbed in a fully Russian version (which was common) then the lipsynch would DEFINITELY not match for the actors who spoke Azerbaijani on set. So I am sure your observation of lack of synch is correct, even if I can not tell in the scene with the dancing girl!

P.S.: I finally did figure out that many of the 720p and 1080p files at ok.ru are upscales and not native HD. And their upscales are nowhere near as good as what ghost accomplishes!
Hehe, well, that was one of the few scenes I found during a cursory inspection of the file that gave at least some closeup of the girl while speaking. Thanks for the further info. I was under the assumption that the different languages spoken in the film would have been left alone, though I am no stranger to post production dubbing. Now that you mention it, and now that I think about it, of course they would dub over Azerbaijani with Russian during post production! I shoulda figured that out! Me: :icon_1idiot I just wish they wouldn't have dubbed that girl with that squeaky adult!

Definitely agree with describing these older 720-1080p ok.ru movies as upscales. They likely did not have a quality source file. I was just curious what I could find for this one and wanted to share in case it even had a slight quality improvement. This movie still seems a bit uncommon, not even blizzardkid or uloz had this.

But this does seem kinda cute, not sure if everyone would agree with me! Definitely seems like an easier watch: we basically get to follow her around with her grandmother (?) while she helps baby animals and explores.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:58 amI just wish they wouldn't have dubbed that girl with that squeaky adult!
Get used to it! :mrgreen: There are THOUSANDS of movies like that from all over the world. Usually I have no problem with post-synch dubbing because the professional dubbers are so GOOD at it, but no dubbing editor wants to sit children down in the sound booth for the time and discipline it takes to sorta match lip movements. Hence the adults.
But this does seem kinda cute, not sure if everyone would agree with me!
Well *I* agree with you!

There is another version at ok.ru that is a smaller 720p upscale with similar video quality, but it has significantly louder audio:
https://ok.ru/video/3109276748364
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:15 am ... 720p upscale with similar video quality, but it has significantly louder audio:
Phew you're right about that audio! That said, I think I like your find better than the 1080p for that reason alone. I found myself having a harder time hearing the audio other file. Thanks for the find. yt-dlp is zipping alone quite fast with it right now!