[REQ] Juleønsket (2015)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REQ] Juleønsket (2015)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Area511 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 pm Does anyone know a software that can listen to audio and generate subtitles?
Like YouTube, but I cant upload it to YouTube or I get a strike.
FLM member heiber came up with an idea that seems to get around the YouTube copyright blocks:
heiber wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 pm
Night457 wrote:Great! I always want improved subtitles. Is this movie on YouTube? I couldn't find it. Is there a way to use the YouTube audio transcription on a movie that is not actually on YouTube?
No, it's blocked. You need to upload using an account and in order to upload a video over 15 minutes, you need a verified account. You can upload low quality version of film without publishing it, wait overnight while transcription does its magic, then copy the text. There's other websites that have similar transcription that may be better, but this was my 1st attempt.

Ideally, if the video isn't blocked, you'd use YT's subtitle download button, or maybe something like youtube-dl to just grab the subtitles/closed-captioning so that the file is already in the proper format with the timecodes, then just translate using google, bing, reverso, deepl translate, etc. and I'd guess be done quickly. If blocked, although you can view the words and timecodes, you can't download it in that format, but you can view/copy just the raw text without the timecodes and manually input using subtitle edit.
I don't remember if I actually tried this technique myself. Since the post was from over 19 months ago I don't know if it would still work, either. You never know for sure what YouTube will decide is a copyright violation until you upload it, so the trick is in uploading it but NOT trying to publish it and NOT deleting it right away. Clever.

In order to avoid strikes to their actual YouTube account, a very sneaky person would set up a fake email account, use it to create a fake YouTube account, and verify that YouTube account using a free fake phone number service that accepts texts. It was that last step that I never managed to accomplish.
Area511

Post by Area511 »   1 likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I might try the low quality version lol. Maybe even rotate the video and twist it around hahah.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Area511 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:20 am Thanks for the suggestions! I might try the low quality version lol. Maybe even rotate the video and twist it around hahah.
I have seen videos uploaded to Vimeo rotated 90 degrees. I was not sure if that was because someone wanted to watch it on their phone sideways and did not know how to change their view settings, or if they were trying to defeat copyright restriction AI. Computers can't identify sideways images?

Of course the only reason to upload a low quality (smaller) version is to make the upload faster, since you aren't going to keep it uploaded anyway if it is just temporary. You have to decide for yourself whether the time spent recoding is more or less than the time spent uploading.

XMedia Recode is one free file-recoding option, and if I remember correctly you can queue a bunch of files to be recoded with the same specifications. I also see Google results for batch conversion using Handbrake (also free). I mention this because setting up 24 crummy conversions one at a time would be pretty tedious!
Area511

Post by Area511 »   0 likes

Thanks for suggestion! :D