Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
emuler

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by emuler »   0 likes

mimzy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 pm In sum, having LowID means downloads will be a little bit less efficient, but uploads (sharing) will be very inefficient. And I think eMule gives higher priority to users with better up/down ratio.
Very inefficient, yes, but not a hopeless situation especially if there are High ID clients connected to the same server. I'm stuck with Low ID but have managed to upload 8 TB of FLM files in about 2 years.

I'm seeing that I upload better if I'm downloading something - maybe the High ID clients I'm downloading from help others in finding me. So I have set my download speed very low so I can stay downloading for longer.

I'm also noticing that it helps to shut down eMule for a couple of hours and then start it again. I will then upload nicely for a few hours and then the connection will stagnate again. Very annoying.

Btw the government in my country is restricting the use of VPNs.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

emuler wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm I'm stuck with Low ID but have managed to upload 8 TB of FLM files in about 2 years.

Wow, that makes about 11GB/day if you are muling 24/7! Probably downloading from other FLM (HighID) users is the crucial thing that facilitates this, because when you download from somebody, their client asks your client for what they need (source exchange).

I suspect that if a LowID user releases a file and is not downloading anything, then nobody will get that file, but I can't tell for sure.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

emuler wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm I'm also noticing that it helps to shut down eMule for a couple of hours and then start it again. I will then upload nicely for a few hours and then the connection will stagnate again. Very annoying.
HOURS? How do you know that it would not just speed up again anyway a couple hours later if you did nothing? Do you have experience of waiting a couple hours with emule on and stagnating and the speeds do NOT come back?

If you are going to shut down eMule anyway, have you tried switching your IP and/or restarting your computer and then restarting emule right away, NOT waiting a few hours? Maybe a changed IP and an emule restart together will do the job more quickly.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:34 am
emuler wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm I'm also noticing that it helps to shut down eMule for a couple of hours and then start it again. I will then upload nicely for a few hours and then the connection will stagnate again. Very annoying.
HOURS? How do you know that it would not just speed up again anyway a couple hours later if you did nothing? Do you have experience of waiting a couple hours with emule on and stagnating and the speeds do NOT come back?

If you are going to shut down eMule anyway, have you tried switching your IP and/or restarting your computer and then restarting emule right away, NOT waiting a few hours? Maybe a changed IP and an emule restart together will do the job more quickly.
I've gone days without uploading anything. Then I've shut down for some unrelated reason - software update or work related - and then when I started again I was uploading nicely after about an hour. Eventually the uploading tapers off again. This could well be related to the ed2k server itself which doesn't like having to deal with Low ID clients or something my ISP is doing. I've tried unsharing files which no one wants in order to reduce protocol traffic between my client and the server but the results have not been conclusive.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Oh well it was just a thought. Days of stagnation makes it pretty clear that it will not "fix itself"! Sadly, patience does not always work. But your answer makes it sound as if it takes emule about an hour to continue uploading, rather than emule needing to be off for an hour. (?) I can totally believe it could be ISP-related.

I am generally "forced" to have daily restarts which I have interpreted as being due to my VPN needing the restart. When I am going to restart my VPN and emule, I go ahead and restart the computer also because I don't trust Windows either, even when the installed updates supposedly do not require a restart.

And I swear by the old standard for fixing anything electronic when nothing else works: power down completely, wait a minute, and restart.