Subtitle Edit used on Der Froschkönig (2008)

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle Edit used on Der Froschkönig (2008)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I am sure that ghost already does things this way!
Exactly. ;)

But aren't these the default settings? I had nothing to change so far.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:06 pm But aren't these the default settings? I had nothing to change so far.
Well, yeah. I did not enable any special settings to make this available. But just because a feature is THERE does not mean people know to use it! For the longest time I did multi-language text comparisons with one subtitle file open in Notepad on the left of the screen, and another one in Notepad on the right! Not even using SubtitleEdit at all. Sometimes I even I had a couple MORE languages and alternate translations on hand in other open files. It is really fun juggling Swedish, English, Norwegian, and another English!

Eventually I discovered the translator mode and found it so much better, at least when I was only using two files.

I sort of vaguely knew about the video option but only started using it TODAY. The screen is so tiny and the controls so minimal that it is not very good for watching the video, but it is VERY helpful for listening to it. And sometimes I know enough of the original language (today, German) to add in a few additional words that are not in the subtitle.

(You actually read through the entire Subtitle Edit manual before you started using it, didn't you?)

But ... maybe you mean that the video always pops up automatically from a clean installation of Subtitle Edit? Maybe. I would have hidden it LONG ago because I would have wanted to see more than one line of text at a time without distraction ... and then I never opened it back up! But now I see that it can be useful. Right now I am on a break from using it to indicate a second speaker with a hyphen ( - ) in a double-subtitle line while I am otherwise correcting the translation. I need to hear who is speaking to do that, rather than just going by memory.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

This is how it looks on my side, if the subtitle file has the same name like the video (the video appears automaticly).
And it's on the right hand side by default. As I said: I didn't change anything in the settings.

[Image]

And no, I didn't read any manual.
Night457
Global Moderator

Holy crud, you even have a space for the waveform underneath! As I used SE with the video some more over the past few hours, I had been thinking back to my very first use of SubtitleEdit. Now I am 100% convinced that I saw that garbage taking up my screen space and eliminated it as soon as possible. The video was too small to use to actually watch it and its controls are microscopic. The waveform I had not a clue about. I needed all my space for the TEXT, without distractions. Once the other parts were hidden, they stayed hidden even through updates, and I forgot about them.

If I had a minimum 36" monitor, the video space would be large enough for me while still leaving me enough room for the text. I have been using it now exclusively for the audio, with my mouse hovered over it to pause at the appropriate lines. If this subtitle file had the different speakers designated with hyphens, I would not need it at all and I could just focus on the translation. (Grrrr, that's what I get for eliminating the color coding. Surely that was used for indicating two speakers on the same line number. I think I may have to rethink again how I go about eliminating color coding.)

Some day I hope to work with dual 48" monitors on a big desk while sitting on a big padded rolling chair. I would not have to hide any extra window ever!

After I finish my translation correction, I plan on taking a break and then attempting resync (for an alternate video) via waveform, as DreamScape suggested. I have too much coffee in me right now to be scared.

Some day I might actually know what I am doing when I use Subtitle Edit. I think that *I* might need a manual.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

DreamScape wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:49 pm
Night457 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:21 am I was unable to sync the subs from one source to fit with another better video. ... The problem suggests one of them has some missing footage or frames...
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me for jumping in the middle :D

For these difficult syncs, sometimes it is easiest to use the waveform view of subtitle edit.
WOW, that waveform view is super freaky!!! I had fun moving the graph around the wave to reposition the subtitles around the spots where someone was speaking. I realized quickly that I had to go from my translation back to the original language, since I was listening for the correct dialog. Maybe I should have had them both open in SE, but my monitor is small and I had to open up some of the screen real estate.

As it turns out, I was right about missing footage! It was not a strange framerate issue. The second video I was trying to sync the subtitle to has about 1.7 minutes of additional footage. Well, that certainly will mess up the subtitles. Whenever I encountered this before I usually gave up.

So then I switched mostly to using the video view so I could SEE the added video. I skipped through the subtitles and listened, until I found the four different sections with added footage. I took what I learned from playing with the waveform to adjust the subtitle from there forward. The ideal solution would be a more complete subtitle, but that is not to be. The dialog in the additional footage will just remain a mystery. All told it took me less than the runtime of the movie to re-adjust the original language subtitle. Now I just have to make the same adjustments to the translation, and watch the result with the second video in its entirety. I had already decided that I like the movie enough to make the subtitle effort worthwhile, so I WANT to see it again anyway.

THANK YOU again, DreamScape!!! This has opened up whole new subtitle possibilities for me.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

You should definitely upgrade to yt-dlp which received tons of updates and youtube-dl project has been declared dead/unmaintained.

ytdlp does only convert stuff if you tell it to do. It only does things like fixing malformed AAC, HLS streams etc. (timestamps etc)
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:45 pm You should definitely upgrade to yt-dlp which received tons of updates and youtube-dl project has been declared dead/unmaintained.
Now that I look I see the most recent version for youtube-dl is December 2021, but that is OK because I only update optional software when it does not work so well anymore. But I have had yt-dlp recommended to me by others too, so I will definitely switch to that when I finally need to update. Thanks!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

No, no. no. I just wanted to say that I appreciate Night's effort and all the work and time he put in these subtitles and even writing an entire tutorial for you, pilowbaker. So my comment was 100 % positive.
:D Yeah, I know. My post was, too. I wasn't trying to saying anything negative with the comment, it was just funny how you responded to Night. I didn't mean to say you should have noticed anything. ;)

I am excited for all the subtitle discussion going on here! Thanks so much for all the assistance and information about subtitle manipulation methods! I have finally gotten around to finishing the subs for Der Froschkönig as my subtitle training wheels. As goku33 mentioned, these Märchenfilm productions on ARD aren't all the best, but I'd say this one is actually fairly good and was easy to watch. The machine subs translated pretty well overall.

Here's the new work:
- Subs left in original German with SDH info left in, but colors removed.
- Subs in English with SDH left in, but colors removed.
- Subs in English with SDH and colors both removed.

I even went through and did some light editing on some odd and nonsensical phrasing and inconsistently translated words, though you may still come across some. I notice that during translation, quite a bit of capitalization and punctuation are lost. Anybody have any idea why and how to keep it from happening? The odd lower case letters were easy to spot, but all the missing periods were too much.

Hope these are helpful to someone in the future, though they were made just to get me some experience. EDIT: I know, I'll post these in the REL thread as well. Figured I'd show my work here as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:48 amI notice that during translation, quite a bit of capitalization and punctuation are lost. Anybody have any idea why and how to keep it from happening?
All German nouns are capitalized, not just proper nouns. When it converts to English, some of the proper nouns might NOT stay capitalized when they should. Regular nouns you want to be lowercase in English anyway.

The German newspaper "Die Zeit" should stay as is, untranslated and capitalized, and not be translated to "The time". But "Unsere Zeit wird knapp" should become "Our time is running out". (Sorry, that's the best example I could think up.)

I have noticed some missing periods in German to English translations but I don't know why that happens. If I ever figure it out, I'll share.
EDIT: I know, I'll post these in the REL thread as well. Figured I'd show my work here as well.
It is like you read my mind before I finished reading the post. ;) I will grab your subs from the REL thread. Thank you very much! I had grabbed the German original some time back from ardmediathek but was not yet prepared to translate and edit it, so I set it aside. I was very happy when I saw that you were volunteering to do it, woo hoo!

And when I found time, I ended up translating a different German movie instead. I guess I've run out of Swedish movies and have to do German now.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

By the way, the thing about the Google API key..I assume by default the auto-translate feature uses an old API Key from the subtitle-edit developer(s). To not get the error message/limits, you probably would need to get your own Google api key from within your Google account.

YouTube, owned by Google, also required Personal API key for using custom youtube apps/scripts. That was why Apps like MiniTube (desktop Yoitube-Viewer/Player App) suddenly didn’t work anymore.

Now a few months ago, Youtube got even stricter and requires manual approval for app api keys. That’s why MiniTube‘s developer finally switched to the Invidious API (invidious scrapes YouTube data, see the GitHub project):
https://flavio.tordini.org/minitube-3-5 ... ctube-1-13
I had to rush this release because Google restricted the Youtube API only to manually approved projects. And their terms forbid any other viewer apart from their own.

So I ported Minitube to use the Invidious API. Linux users will not need a Google API key anymore. So I guess this is an enhancement for them. Donations are welcome (hint hint).
It was actually why I stopped using MiniTube a couple years ago - I didn’t want to register an API Key within a Google Account with which Youtube can log all my views, searches etc. I had a YouTube account 15years ago but ever since big Google owned it, I never understood how people are so comfortable being logged into their accounts at all times. But then again the majority of internet users nowadays literally use GoogleChrome WebBrowser. (Which Leads to Google dictating the browser standards/specifications).