How do you organize your collection?

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
petra

Re: How do you organize your collection?

Post by petra »   0 likes

I put mine in different folders on a removable drive which is always connected. Asian movies which are divided into country. English speaking movies. Foreign movies with subs or without subs which I move and watch when I find the subs. Documentaries, Shorts, Animation, Seen or not seen. If they are still seeding I don't usually move any. Just copy them into the relevant folders.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

petra wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:45 am Foreign movies with subs or without subs which I move and watch when I find the subs.
I have often thought that I SHOULD do that. I will watch them without, but I like to know what ones have subtitles and what ones do not. Oh well, it is too late now, there would be too many to check and move!

I have noticed that the very organized the.nextthing.club very clearly separates movies with and without subtitles.
pafin

Post by pafin »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:23 am I have noticed that the very organized the.nextthing.club very clearly separates movies with and without subtitles.
Its a very old discussion over on TNT, about how much deep subforums are too much.
flacct

Post by flacct »   0 likes

It's clear now that my real problem is that I have too much content and too little space.
So it's difficult to decide which files go together in a drive and what not.
berkenl

Post by berkenl »   2 likes

i do this...

1.......9 in 1 Map

A_B_C_........................................................................................................................................................Z
Last edited by berkenl on Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

berkenl wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:55 pm
A rational person you are!

Do you ignore articles like
a,an,the,das,der,die,el,l',la,las,le,les,los,un ?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Not to mention titles that begin with numbers. :mrgreen:

This is a topic I've been meaning to get some feedback on for a while now. I like staying organized, yet I feel like my collection is rather a mess.

Part of this boils down to having one source, emule in this case, downloading to and sharing from its own directories, "emule incoming" and "emule temp". And then the other source, torrents, going to a separate movie folder that I can more easily rename and manage. The issue so far has been that they innately are set up to be separated. Is everyone here content to keep emule movies separate from torrent downloads and the subsequent seeding directories? Or does someone have some emule directory wizardry that allows them to keep things organized as they go?

I want to merge the movie directories, but this leads to other issues. Anything in "emule incoming" that's not in an unshared folder is automatically shared over emule, which is already sharing on average between 500 to 700 files.

The rips that I find from yt-dlp and jdownloader go into their own directory that I an able to organize as I go easily enough. But keeping two major movie directories separate has gotten slightly annoying. Any suggestions?

So far my main root setup looks like this:
books - lit, ebooks
emule incoming
- subdirectories:
  • FLM unshared A - G
  • FLM unshared H - O
  • FLM unshared P - Z
    the rest of the files are just laid out in this directory as shared files
emule temp
media - movies
media - movies awaiting completion - (this is a recent directory I created for torrents that I migrate files that take long periods of time to download)
media - screenshots
media - tv shows, series
music - ambient
music - classical, lute, theorbo, etc
music - electronica, industrial
programs
ytdl and jdownloader
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:31 am Not to mention titles that begin with numbers. :mrgreen:
I file them alphabetically.
"Eight and One Half"
"Nineteen Eighty Four"
"Nineteen Hundred"
"Twenty Forty Six"
"Two Thousand One: A Space Odyssey"

A reasonable person might file them numerically, before the alphabet.

2001: A Space Odyssey
(... and then A, B, C movies)
Is everyone here content to keep emule movies separate from torrent downloads and the subsequent seeding directories?
Usually I am. Normally I do not keep torrents seeded for very long, as I am shamelessly hit-and-run. (I would never qualify for a private tracker.) It is eMule that I keep sharing for longer periods of time. Some files have NEVER been unshared, because they are special to me, even if other people do not want them very often. But sometimes I want to keep torrenting a file AND also emule it for FLM, but I do not want to use up twice my limited connected drive space.
I go to
eMule/Options/Directories/Shared_Directories
and I click on the exact folders immediately containing the files I want to dual-share. Of course the torrented file must be already complete so that it does not change! When I view the Shared files in that folder in the eMule client, I can right-click and Unshare any file that is junk or I don't want to share in eMule but still need for the torrent, like RARBG.nfo or a sample video clip or whatever. However, when I decide to do cleanup and stop torrenting some files, I have to remember to move them to a dedicated eMule folder if I want to keep eMuling them. Here my limited drive space is an advantage: I use up the drive space so quickly that it is a short enough period of time that I can REMEMBER what I want to share where and for how long. In eMule, I create a new shared folder named by date every day that I download something, which is almost every day. When my drive space gets too low, I look in the oldest folder: if I want to keep sharing something because people are still actively downloading it, I move it to a folder with a later date. If I look at the files and say "Ugh, no one has been downloading these ones from me lately", then they and the folder get deleted. The FLM "Requested files" page keeps files there for 2 weeks, and that is generally the amount of time I can share something until my drive fills up and I have to delete.

You clearly have a large amount of drive space that you are able to share, much more than I do. My mind boggles at the thought of how to organize it AND easily share it, WITHOUT sharing files you do NOT want shared. Certainly it makes more sense to spend time watching movies than to spend hours organizing your drives. (Unless you REALLY enjoy that.) I do not have any brilliant suggestions. Maybe someone using a 15TB-RAID has some ideas?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thank you very much for the suggestions, Night!
But sometimes I want to keep torrenting a file AND also emule it for FLM, but I do not want to use up twice my limited connected drive space.
THIS! Thanks for this idea. Right now I am operating on trying to keep written notes on the files I've copied into the emule shared folder and trying to not forget that I have duplicates there. I share for long enough I do forget!

I initially had qualms about sharing the same file over torrent and emule. But if you say it's safe for the hard drive, I'll give it a try. I was originally worried that if I was sharing/uploading from the same "place" on the drive, but continually being accessed from two programs during uploading, that it would be more work on the drive. Anyone have any info on this matter?
Certainly it makes more sense to spend time watching movies than to spend hours organizing your drives. (Unless you REALLY enjoy that.)
Funny thing, it's grueling but I actually love it! It's tedious and it splits my mind up when I begin to realize how divided I have everything (with renaming and backing up on separate drives). But honestly, the cataloguing of vast amounts of material is like an urge and I could do this for a living.
Night457
Global Moderator

:icon_1whip Make that drive DO SOME WORK!!!

Seriously, how likely is that both eMule and Torrent will both be going simultaneously at full speed for long periods?
pillowbaker wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:09 pm Funny thing, it's grueling but I actually love it!
That is SICK!! :wink:
But honestly, the cataloguing of vast amounts of material is like an urge and I could do this for a living.
Umm, librarian?