pillowbaker

[REL] Balloon Farm (1999)

Post by pillowbaker »   22 likes

Fun little TV movie from 1999.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134304

I am sure some of you recognize this one:

[Image]

Our main girl Mara Wilson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a simple movie about a young girl and the local townfolk of a farm town going through hard times. She befriends a strange yet friendly farmer who, for some reason, starts growing the oddest thing in his field.

I love it when the young ones become friends with the the interesting outcast-types. So, I did quite enjoyed this film. It is an easy and uplifting watch, something to put on when you don't really want to think about what to watch next. However, while our main girl could be said to be the main character here, I wish we could have had more focus oh her throughout the movie. She was such a cutie here. This does give the movie time to portray some of the local denizens, and these parts were entertaining enough, everyone of them with their own antics and jobs. But don't expect too much, it is a Disney TV movie production from 1999, and while it does have some of the usual plot clichés, there were some elements of the story that had me guessing until the end, and actor Rip Torn does a great performance as the newcomer farmer Harvey. Harvey is such a lovely character, I couldn't get enough of his amiability, along with his way of staying in control of confrontations!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why vlc created slightly different aspect ratios for the screenshots. File plays fine.

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

DVDrip contains English, French, and Spanish subs, complete! May be needed for those farmer-drawl bits.

Best version of the file I could find. Pretty nice quality, for a DVDrip. I am curious if any higher quality encode exists.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.66 Gb]

[Image]

Hey you kids! Always running through my fields!
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Balloon Farm (1999)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Oh! She's Matilda! :heart

Thank you, pillowbaker!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I have not seen anywhere near the majority of Rip Torn's extensive filmography, but I am intrigued at him playing an amiable character. (He is more typically "cranky" at the very least.) I know who Mara IS, but this may be the first movie for me to see her in. Thanks!

Rip Torn playing Maax in The Beastmaster. He liked to sacrifice children. (He was the villain.)
[Image]
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

The late Rip Torn. He sadly died 3 years ago.