Torrents

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
deadarise

Re: Torrents

Post by deadarise »   0 likes

yeah I have been using uTorrent alot! its so fast and use it to download new Indiana Jones movie ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I am necrobumping an old thread rather than creating a new one. I have a few technical questions for expert EMULERS and TORRENTERS:

I am aware that it should be possible to share a completed torrented file in emule AND keep seeding it in your torrent client. All that is necessary is to share in emule the directory where the file is contained. And most of the time, each torrent gets its own dedicated folder automatically, rather than just being dumped directly in the top-level torrent download directory. There should be no need to copy and paste it to a specific general "emule" folder and take up more drive space.

This is all correct, yes?

HOWEVER ... if someone shared in emule a torrent directory that contained PARTIAL torrent downloads, all the emule ed2k hashes from those files would instantly become out of date as soon as their torrent client downloaded more of the file. As far as the eMule client sees it, what they have is a DIFFERENT FILE. If they emule-hash the partial file and share that ed2k link in some forum, no one will be able to get any of it in emule as soon as they download a few bits more in their torrent, because that previous partial file is now "gone" and replaced with a more complete version. (And if they create a .torrent file of a partially emule-downloaded file, the same problem will occur as soon as more is downloaded in emule.)

This is logical to me. But am I correct? (I have been totally convinced of my logic before and still been wrong.)

So all this means that people should ONLY share a torrented file in emule if it is already downloaded 100% complete. Also, the surest way to avoid confusion is to copy the completed torrented file to another directory specifically for emule. This will take up twice as much disk space, but it will avoid mistakes.

Comments?
Zorijer

Post by Zorijer »   1 likes

I don't think copying is needed. My bittorrent client at least has separate folders for completed downloads and temporary files, and allows them to be placed wherever.
Night457
Global Moderator

Zorijer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:59 pm I don't think copying is needed.
That was my thought, that it would not be necessary as long as someone was only sharing complete files.
My bittorrent client at least has separate folders for completed downloads and temporary files, and allows them to be placed wherever.
I am sure I could change it, but mine seems to default to temporary files and completed files in the SAME folder. Either that, or I stupidly CHANGED the default values the wrong way! (I know that eMule defaults to separate folders, and moves the file when it is complete.)

I suppose I should say that my MAIN question is about attempting to emule share a partially downloaded torrent file. My understanding tells me this would FAIL as soon as the torrent downloaded a little more. Correct?
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

utorrent has in Preferencies --> Directories option "Move completed downloads to" but I don't remember it is was emabled by default or not
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:11 pm I suppose I should say that my MAIN question is about attempting to emule share a partially downloaded torrent file. My understanding tells me this would FAIL as soon as the torrent downloaded a little more. Correct?

Absolutely.

In fact, the eMule client will probably not notice immediately that the file has changed, which would trigger AICH to repair "corrupted" blocks, etc., and generally cause a big mess.

BTW, in some OSes you can create a link/shortcut in eMule shared folder to a file that is physically somewhere else. I don't know if Windows shortcuts would work.
Night457
Global Moderator

ferdi111 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm utorrent has in Preferencies --> Directories option "Move completed downloads to" but I don't remember it is was emabled by default or not
I don't want to mess up what is currently working for me so I have not looked, but I vaguely recall something like that somewhere along the line. I have used utorrent and other torrent clients. I move on to another when one install gets corrupted or an update causes a change I don't like. I have done the same for browsers, too!

It would not surprise me if I have changed defaults during setup ... and it would not surprise me if some of my choices are "odd" to say the least.
mimzy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:01 pm In fact, the eMule client will probably not notice immediately that the file has changed, which would trigger AICH to repair "corrupted" blocks, etc., and generally cause a big mess.
Awesome! So eMule destroys the torrent download, cool.
BTW, in some OSes you can create a link/shortcut in eMule shared folder to a file that is physically somewhere else. I don't know if Windows shortcuts would work.
Hmmm, I had not thought of that. I know Linux can do just about anything, for those who understand how to use it.

Honestly ... most of the time I am a Hit and Run user of torrents, and I only share FLM emule files for extended periods. I prefer it when I am only running eMule.

Thank you everyone for all your input! Sometimes I need to verify if what I think is true is actually true. I can be VERY wrong-headed at times ... and stubbornly so.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:58 am Awesome! So eMule destroys the torrent download, cool.

To be exact, I don't think eMule will modify torrent files, but any client downloading the file from you will notice block checksum mismatch and will try to use AICH to repair corrupted blocks using data from other sources. If this fails, they would still see you as a source, but the download won't complete. Besides, AICH often causes my client to crash for some reason. I guess some clients have shared corrupted data deliberately to disturb the network.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

A torrent can have many files, which further complicates matters when sharing on eMule. I recently downloaded an entire season of a tv series with subtitles in 32 languages. For eMule it would make more sense to embed the subtitles or zip them up and share that instead.
Night457
Global Moderator

mimzy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:05 pmany client downloading the file from you will notice block checksum mismatch and will try to use AICH to repair corrupted blocks using data from other sources.
Oh yeah, I have seen that in files I am downloading. It has delayed the download considerably but I don't think it has caused crashes for me. However, sometimes I get the diagonally striped black and yellow Progress bar that means I need to either restart my client, or sometimes even use MetFile Regenerator to recover the broken download. I don't know what causes that but I know how to fix it.

And I admit that I don't bother to look up the meaning of things that software does automatically, so I don't even know what AICH means. I have seen pages explaining it, but I just don't read them because I figure it is nothing I can control! But it is nice to understand things even if I can only sit back and watch.
emuler wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:09 pm A torrent can have many files, which further complicates matters when sharing on eMule
I do like the fact that even with random anonymous torrents, all the files are listed separately when it is loaded and can be identified and excluded. Much of time, files found in an emule search are poorly named and unclear of the content. For example, I have to pay attention to give the language extension of a subtitle file. Anything I share is aimed mainly at FLM so I have it all described in my post, but if non-eMule strangers discover my files in an eMule search I don't mind.

However, it is convenient to have all the subtitles in a ZIP rather than scattered hither and yon.

My original scenario was about a single partial video file that might come in a torrent, and someone might prematurely decide to start "sharing" in emule before it had completed in their torrent. I would be willing to bet a dollar that someone somewhere has mistakenly done that at least once. I wanted to verify my thinking that it would not work. And I think it would be very unlikely for someone to try to emule-reshare a partially downloaded subtitle file from a torrent.