[REL] Goluboy Portret (1976)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Goluboy Portret (1976)

Post by ghost »   10 likes

Finally!!!
Here they are: English subtitles! For the very first time since 1976. :icon_1dancingban

Speech-To-Text .... Machine translating into English ... Editing almost every single line by hand (took me about one whole fucking week!)...

I never watched this movie before, but now I can tell: Just beautiful! Darya Mikhaylova is adorable.. :heart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

:thumbsup
ghost wrote:I never watched this movie before
WHAT!!!!??!

Thank you for the subs! Glad you enjoyed the movie!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

WHAT!!!!??!
I mean, I never watched it from the beginning to the end. I hate it, when I can't understand a single word. :?
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Compliments ghost, thanks for the HARD WORK! =8)

Don't go quietly into the night.
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:I mean, I never watched it from the beginning to the end. I hate it, when I can't understand a single word. :?
Yeah, I know you have said that before, but I thought maybe you had some flexibility on the matter! (You haven't learned a SINGLE WORD of Russian? Come on, really!?) I do remember vintage FLM posts from other members who apparently had absolutely NO interest in subtitles or plot, they were happy just to watch cute girls. I thought maybe their (bad?) influence might have rubbed off on you. I was certain you would have checked this one out. Well, at least you LOOKED at it, that is something.

There are plenty of movies here that will never have subtitles, and I will never know the language. But I watch them anyway if they look interesting. And I also know that some of my favorites were first watched (before even discovering FLM) without the benefit of understanding the language, and I mostly understood them anyway. (Madicken, Ronja, Árvácska, Krempoli and others.) I had not read any of the original books, either, so I was encountering the stories without any preparation.

Admittedly I sought out and watched them WITH subtitles once I had them available. I HAVE seen Goluboy Portret in full, which is why I am really excited about your subtitles! They will help enhance my already great appreciation.

Maybe I am less bothered by not understanding movies because in real life I frequently find people incomprehensible even when I technically understand their words. :crazy I have been learning to come to peace with my confusion.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Also at youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8I4PPQJCmk

Kinopoisk and Wikipedia have only one sentence reviews:

The movie about little dreamer about another summer (at grandparents country house) and about first sympathy (or must I write interest?) towards the girls
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Yeah, I know you have said that before, but I thought maybe you had some flexibility on the matter!
Sure I have flexibility.. when I have to. Sometimes I watch short film or movies in which they don't talk much and with a simple plot without subtitles. But it's not real fun for me this way.
Night457
Global Moderator

Yeah, I certainly don't try to watch talky French adult melodramas without subtitles. I don't think I would get much out of them at all without understanding the dialog. I do have my limits.

I just watched Goluboy Portret for the first time with the great subtitles, ghost! It had been long enough since my previous viewing that I mostly only remembered the balloon. Now with full dialog appreciation I found Tanya's relentless flirtation quite funny! Alyosha was in way over his head and had a hard time figuring her out. Later she poured on the waterworks to shame Alyosha and his rival out of their more dangerous competitive antics. What a manipulator! I agree with ghost that she is adorable.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Thanks for doing the subtitles Ghost! Hats off for the hard work. I know I'll enjoy it! The film looks so atmospheric. There was a 1360p - effectively 3k resolution version. I re-encoded it for myself to 1908x896 with a 60pixel side crop (ie. full 1080p width) to change the 2.4:1 resolution to about 2.1:1 - I find that a good compromise. Sometimes films are just tooooo wide and the people too small on my TV!
Watching bits of it now it looks like it's a tad soft, I should have run a sharpen filter on it when I resized it!