[REL] Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (1995)

Rich

[REL] Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (1995)

Post by Rich »   29 likes

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (1995)
The film tells the story of a strange friendship between an adult, already on the return of his path of life, and a Chinese girl who just begins her path. Nikos is the radio operator of a merchant ship and has just arrived in Hong-Kong. He is tired and wants to forget his problems by smoking opium. Innocence and hope turns to him in the person of Li, a Chinese girl who lives in a Sampan (a houseboat) and has to clean boats and empty trash-cans to survive.
As dark as this film starts off, it becomes more and more beautiful up to an ending that suggests hope and a new beginning. The change of setting also goes in line with this development. The film begins on a derelict old ship with only a few lonely sailors on board and finishes in the colourful backdrop of Hongkong and Nikos sailing home.

Stephen Rea's portrayal of Nikos is very intense. The Chinese girl who plays Li has a dignity and maturity that is very touching. There is not much talking in this film, but that serves even better to create the haunting atmosphere it has. The music, reminiscent of Philip Glass' compositions, adds to this effect.

This is a movie that will be on my mind for a long time.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [921.32 Mb]

If someone finds screencaps somewhere please can you post on this thread, thanks! :bigups

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112491/
ferdi111

Re: [REL] Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (1995)

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

The link in Rich's release is still alive on eMule. I can share the YouTube version if anyone wants it but I'm sure the quality isn't as high since it's only 233MB.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   47 likes

Thanks Phuz.

I can offer this one:

[Image]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.98 Gb]
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Wow. Is there any movie that Ghost doesn't have? :P

Probably well-known to English/American readers, but here is where the idiom comes from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_t ... p_blue_sea

Chris Rea also has a song with this title on his 1993 "Espresso Logic" album (the same album includes the wonderful [REL] Chris Rea - Julia :inlove).
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Upgraded to "real" 720p. (AI-Upscale, looks more like HD now).
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Whoa thanks ghost! I watched this movies years ago without knowing anything about it. I was struck by it's long, austere shots and bleak characters. And the little girl was sooo good. And the soundtrack by Wim Mertens was brilliant. At least to me, anyways. I can imagine that not everyone resonates with the loud, "minimalist" style. But it's good enough I still listen to the track Casting No Shadow.

Anyone who likes the older, uncouth man and young girl friendship story, I very much recommend this one. Just note, it does have long drawn out moments. They never felt that way to me, rather, they gave me moments to just sink into the movie.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I totally agree, pillowbaker. It's a brilliant movie. Not very known.