[REL] Moonlight (2002)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Moonlight (2002)

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks for the upgrade, ghost! Along with many others here, this is one of my favorites and in the back of my mind I was wondering if it had gotten the upscale treatment. I've already seen this movie twice and I used to rewatch my favorite scenes, but it's been a while. I adore the opening titles music, it's still so magical to me in a sad sort of way, and this film does this very interesting thing where it doesn't hold your hand when it comes to character behavior. I remember when I first watched this when it was shared on an old torrent site, it felt like I was the only one who watched it. And it was like it just came out of nowhere.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Ah damn, for a second I thought I found a true 1080p WEBRip. But it was for „Moonlight Mile“ also from 2002 but with Dustin Hoffmann, Jake Gylenhaal..

[Image]
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:46 am Ah damn, for a second I thought I found a true 1080p WEBRip. But it was for „Moonlight Mile“ also from 2002 but with Dustin Hoffmann, Jake Gylenhaal..

Yeah, I periodically check for real 1080p or even a bluray. But search for "Moonlight" and you almost always get either Moonlight Mile from the same year, or the more well known Moonlight from 2016. I've even gotten results for a 2007 vampire series also called Moonlight.

This film was released on Amazon Prime as The Afghan, and too many other things with the same name is probably why.
goku33

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245294/te ... tt_spec_sm

According to IMDb it was Shot on 2,500 meters of 35mm film.

So a true 4K Remaster would technically be possible if they still have it stored properly.

Some short films suffer the fate of never getting released properly because the filmmakers didn’t get music rights properly

Where was „moonlight“ on Amazon as „the Afghan“? I couldn’t find it.
deadman

goku33 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:55 am https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245294/te ... tt_spec_sm

Where was „moonlight“ on Amazon as „the Afghan“? I couldn’t find it.

It was here: https://www.amazon.com/Afghan-Andrew-Ho ... 01CUS9G86/

But now they're using the original title: https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Jemma- ... 07M8DN7C3/

It's the same exact movie, re-released. Whenever I check to see if a bluray is available I look under both titles just to be thorough. It's not actual HD by the way if you purchase the Amazon Prime version. I did, and it's no sharper than the DVD version - which fortunately is very high quality. Among the better discs I've seen.
goku33

Oh ok. I got so confused for a moment now with Amazon and some other sites listing it as a 2016 Film as well.

This was the old Amazon link and it indeed also had listed it as HD..do you still have your purchased version on Amazon?

So they must not have put up an actual 1080p copy but same as dvd Master. The film was shot on 35mm…

[img] https://i.postimg.cc/pVQSdLwV/6-B2-A1-C ... 144119.jpg [/img)
deadman

goku33 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 pm Oh ok. I got so confused for a moment now with Amazon and some other sites listing it as a 2016 Film as well.

This was the old Amazon link and it indeed also had listed it as HD..do you still have your purchased version on Amazon?

So they must not have put up an actual 1080p copy but same as dvd Master. The film was shot on 35mm…

Yes, I still have it - and I downloaded the stream to my hard drive as well. It's in 720p but you can't tell the quality apart from the DVD version. The listing under the original title Moonlight is the same. 720p. For a while it was available for free but apparently not any more. So it's basically fake HD, just an upscale.

Most films going back to the early 20th century could be remastered in 4K if the original negatives are in decent shape. I'd love to see a blu-ray of this movie! Who knows, maybe we will at some point. I wouldn't have thought Beau Pere, David Hamilton's movie Laura, or L'Immoralita would ever show up on bluray, yet they have. Never say never.
goku33

Most films going back to the early 20th century could be remastered in 4K if the original negatives are in decent shape. I'd love to see a blu-ray of this movie! Who knows, maybe we will at some point. I wouldn't have thought Beau Pere, David Hamilton's movie Laura, or L'Immoralita would ever show up on bluray, yet they have. Never say never.
Very true. PiDaX, the German distributor, regularly puts out super old rare films and tv shows. Who would have thought „The Tribe“ The Tv series would get remastered…(the DVDs were super rare/expensive/collectors stuff).
goku33

Post by goku33 »   25 likes

deadman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:54 pm
goku33 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 pmDo you know what the 5-6 GB mkv file on eMule is about? Maybe just a DVD Remux? It isn’t labeled in any kind of way. I’ve been downloading it for a couple of days now.

I don't see it on eMule. Could you provide a link? Select the listing in your search, right click on it, and choose the third option down, Copy eD2K Links. Then you can paste it into your post here.

The total size of the .vob file for this movie is 3.36 GB. There is a lower quality, yet for some reason bigger, DVD - a foreign release that lacks any of the French disc's special features. It could possibly be that. But more likely it's a 1080p upscale done by someone who doesn't care about file size. It could be a 1080p web-dl. That would be fantastic! I would download it just on that off chance. Like I said, post an ed2k link here. Maybe I can get it at higher speed. If I do and it's worth it I'll post some direct links on MEGA/uloz.
My big apologies, I confused it with „Moonlight“ (2002). But it’s also bigger than the previously shared files if I remember correctly. (And with Moonlight we also still have no real 1080p).

This one is bigger than both your Shared dvd and ghosts upscale:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [6.01 Gb]
deadman

Post by deadman »   9 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:01 amMy big apologies, I confused it with „Moonlight“ (2002). But it’s also bigger than the previously shared files if I remember correctly. (And with Moonlight we also still have no real 1080p).

This one is bigger than both your Shared dvd and ghosts upscale:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [6.01 Gb]

Ah, I'm already trying to download this one myself. The mule tells me my last reception was 11 days ago, and the file was last seen complete 4 days ago. I'm at only 363.20 MB after 42 days. At this rate it'll take a year or two! These are the files you add and forget, and occasionally one day out of the blue one of them finishes. Wish I knew if it was worth the trouble.