[REL] Dohee-ya AKA: A Girl at My Door (2014)

deadman

Re: [REL] Dohee-ya AKA: A Girl at My Door (2014)

Post by deadman »   1 likes

I had no idea how many movies Kim Sae-ron was actually in until recently. A lot of times you look into a lead actress and find they've only got a few movies, or just that one, to their credit. Occasionally you find a whole bunch of interesting stuff and high quality versions of everything. Then it doesn't rain, it pours! Thanks to everyone who contributed to the flood. :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote:I had no idea how many movies Kim Sae-ron was actually in until recently.
I have had a different problem: following her career and being frustrated that she is not in ENOUGH movies!
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
deadman wrote:I had no idea how many movies Kim Sae-ron was actually in until recently.
I have had a different problem: following her career and being frustrated that she is not in ENOUGH movies!
Can't have too much of a good thing, true. But I've lost count of the number of one and two hit wonder actresses I would've loved to see in a few more films. And a few who were in more films, including ones that would generate quite a lot of interest here, but you can't find those movies anywhere.

It's like going back to the old days - if you missed something during its theatrical run, you might not ever get to see it. I don't know why studios haven't posted digital copies of everything in their inventory and made them available for purchase. They're just sitting in vaults gathering dust. Earning no money for them. Even the most obscure titles will be sought after by someone.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote:It's like going back to the old days - if you missed something during its theatrical run, you might not ever get to see it.
Wow, you must be as old as the guy in your avatar! ;) (I 'member those days too.)
Even the most obscure titles will be sought after by someone.
ONE is not enough to cover the cost of digitizing film, which is not cheap. It is not as simple as ripping a DVD! And more and more, rights-holders are realizing that if they expect people to pay good money for a home media release (in whatever format, even digital streaming), they need to restore it to make it look good. More money. In the olden days they could telecine an old taped-together print onto videotape and run it on ancient standard def televison (before it became known as 'standard def') and no one would notice how bad it looked. How many people would pay money for that sort of low quality these days? Lots of people at FLM -- where we get videos for free -- turn up their noses at that, even if it is the only source for a rare film.

I totally share your wishful thinking. There ARE plenty of films that have gone unreleased and seem to have many people interested in them, judging by sites like this. Whether that is enough people to cover costs, I dunno.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:
deadman wrote:It's like going back to the old days - if you missed something during its theatrical run, you might not ever get to see it.
Wow, you must be as old as the guy in your avatar! ;) (I 'member those days too.)
Not personally. I grew up with VHS movies and Blockbuster Video. But my dad told us more than once about how he missed movies he really wanted to see as a kid, for one reason or another, and never got a chance to see them again. He couldn't just wait six months and go rent them. These days you can download a 4K rip while it's still in theaters. Oh how times have changed!

Night457 wrote:
deadman wrote:Even the most obscure titles will be sought after by someone.
I totally share your wishful thinking. There ARE plenty of films that have gone unreleased and seem to have many people interested in them, judging by sites like this. Whether that is enough people to cover costs, I dunno.
When it comes down to titles they expect only a handful will want, you're right, it gets iffy. They like to have some expectation of the least popular titles doing no worse than breaking even. Why restore something that costs more to process than you make back?

Maybe they buy data from sites like IMDb to see how many people search for info on a title. It can be hard to tell in advance even then though. Movies that didn't do very well the first time around sometimes achieve cult status on a re-release. There's also value in archiving old material that will degrade and be lost otherwise. I've never run a movie studio, don't really know all the factors they consider or why highly sought after material sometimes isn't released while unknown stuff from the same studio is.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

[WARNING: I go off the rails discussing non-FLM films here. Skip if not interested.]
deadman wrote:Maybe they buy data from sites like IMDb to see how many people search for info on a title.
!!! I had never considered that, which seems like a better idea than F*c*book surveys, which are only answered by the bored. I would put you in charge of market research for a film restoration and home media label.
I've never run a movie studio, don't really know all the factors they consider or why highly sought after material sometimes isn't released while unknown stuff from the same studio is.
From your avatar I am guessing you might have heard of an older movie called 'Dawn of the Dead', which received a massive multi-4k release in the U.K. and nothing in the U.S., the land of its origin, in the past 14 years. As if there was not demand. The online-rumored explanation was that the RIGHTS-HOLDER was demanding too much money. Does that mean he gave the Brits a discount because it is a smaller territory, or were they just willing to spend more? The fans who imported this release certainly spent some good cash.

Fans of 'The Abyss' keep crying for a Blu, and its owner will not take the time to oversee and approve any new masters until he finishes doing a series of blue alien sequels that I do not see anyone crying for. (Yet apparently many saw the original...) As if no one else could manage to master his damn film. Again, the rights-holder is holding it up.

As for some FLM-type films that are studio-owned, I suspect it is terror over causing controversy and getting death threats. People are crazy, and I understand why they would not want that. Is a movie really worth it? (A certain Brooke film might NOT get ignored these days.) When Stanley Kubrick received death threats against his family because of 'A Clockwork Orange', he withdrew it from circulation in the one territory he controlled it, which was where he lived. No one in the U.K. could legally acquire it for decades. Brilliant artist that he was, he readily sacrificed his art in favor of his family. I certainly do not fault him for that.

As for the more obscure non-studio films, they languish because they do not have the big money behind them. Someone would have to travel around Europe pounding on the doors of octogenarians and demanding they sign some papers and hand over the film cans they keep in their closets.
petra

Post by petra »   1 likes

Seeing that Kim Sae Ron is popular among some members you may be interested in this

https://channel-korea.com/kim-sae-rons-transformation/
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

petra wrote:Seeing that Kim Sae Ron is popular among some members you may be interested in this

https://channel-korea.com/kim-sae-rons-transformation/
:heart :heart :heart

Thanks, petra! I was VERY interested: Some nice info on Kim Sae Ron and her feelings and some really cute publicity shots of her. :heart

I'm with Night on this one; wish she had been in MORE [ MOAR :twisted: ] films in her 'yute' *!..

(* Go watch 'My Cousin Vinnie' if you don't understand this word... :lol: )

kev.