[REL] Fly Away Home (1996)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Fly Away Home (1996)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:50 pmgets soap in her eyes and starts screaming like a toddler. Bah!
Yes! Someone agrees with me! I can't stand babies screeching, even less so the "big babies." If she had just stopped her bawling when she got out of the shower I would have been fine. Then she could start up again screaming at her father to GET OUT -- but if she had quit earlier and said "All right Da' - just got soap in my eyes" then he would not have broken the door in a panic.

And then the scene would be different.

So next time I watch it I'll have the subtitles on and I will mute the audio for this scene, so it will become a highly dramatic silent movie.

P.S.: The Italian dub is just as ear-piercingly screechy annoying for this scene, and the Russian dub slightly less so.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:50 pmBtw does anyone want the 7GB DVD9 I'm downloading? I'm going to delete it.
Make sure you verify that it is NOT the ultra-rare fullscreen version before you do any deleting!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 am I only wanted an explanation of what you meant, not an apology if it turned out you were mistaken! I don't trust my own memory and my eyesight is getting poorer and poorer. It is not hard to confuse one movie with another, either. We have all seen so many of them, right? I just wanted to know if you were noticing something that I did not, and what that something was.

I frequent a site where members post blu-ray screencaps and say "How could they let THAT error through their quality control?" I stare and stare and stare at the picture but I have NO IDEA what they are talking about, but they consider it obvious.

popdrome's recent upgrade of "Fly Away Home" is excellent, by the way. While I was clearly mocking that scene, I enjoyed the movie immensely! Thank you popdrome! I have not seen "Member of the Wedding" either, so I am looking forward to that.

We need to dig up a VHSrip of "Fly Away Home" to review how it used to look.
Having read about films I know a lot of films used to be shot on (I think it's called) Super 35. The film exposed was closer to 4:3 ratio. They would then matte the film for cinema. They would open-matte the film for VHS releases normally exposing a lot more picture to the bottom (no pun intended) so as not to make boom microphones visible to the top. Spielberg involved films of the 80s would be like this, Back to the Future is a good example. You see a lot more of the film in 4:3 VHS than in the DVD - but not in the special effects shots (which were usually shot on some super high def video at 16:9 so when processed many times they'd still hold up on 35mm). So it's possible the tape you talk about is from an open-matte shot, not visible in the matte'd version.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

The VHS is cheaply available but I don’t care enough about this to be honest.

Im glad this film exists on BLuRay, it’s a beautiful family movie (at least that’s how I remember it from when I was a kid myself lol). I should rewatch this some time.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

My public library has the vhs and lists it as „widescreen“ (103minutes)
maria2012

Post by maria2012 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 pm My public library has the vhs and lists it as „widescreen“ (103minutes)

library descriptions are always wrong. In fact, Hollywood movies' VHS tapes are mostly full screen.

In public library, VHS can be borrowed for free; maybe you can borrow the VHS and check it.

I guess members will be thankful if you can help them to solve the mystery. :D
Night457
Global Moderator

I have several actually widescreen VHS movies, because I am one of the crackpots who wanted them when they became available. (This was shortly before the invention of DVDs, so they quickly became irrelevant.) But they ALWAYS had fullscreen VHS versions also for the majority of the viewers. Whether places in Europe had a different approach to this than the U.S., I don't know. I don't have any PAL videotapes.

Now I find myself interested in the "rare" fullscreen versions of movies. Bizarre!

I am surprised your library has not given away almost all their old videotapes, replacing them with something that takes up less space. I wonder how much usage the tapes get these days!

As to why I have not cleared space in my OWN personal library, just don't ask ... :oops:
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:52 pm I have several actually widescreen VHS movies, because I am one of the crackpots who wanted them when they became available. (This was shortly before the invention of DVDs, so they quickly became irrelevant.) But they ALWAYS had fullscreen VHS versions also for the majority of the viewers. Whether places in Europe had a different approach to this than the U.S., I don't know. I don't have any PAL videotapes.

Now I find myself interested in the "rare" fullscreen versions of movies. Bizarre!

I am surprised your library has not given away almost all their old videotapes, replacing them with something that takes up less space. I wonder how much usage the tapes get these days!

As to why I have not cleared space in my OWN personal library, just don't ask ... :oops:
A lot of foreign arthouse films were released in widescreen on VHS. Some others like Die Hard, Star Wars got widescreen releases in Europe. I even recall trailers advertising the benefit of widescreen. The trench run from Star Wars was shown in a clip and the building explosion in Die Hard and Bruce Willis leaping across the screen beforethe lift blows up. 98% of VHS wasn't widescreen, but then it wasn't until the 90s I think that they brought out CRT widescreen TV's - and they were ridiculous really. A lot were only 28inch widescreen, but were about 2 feet deep because of the CRT projection angle, and weighed 30+ kg. And the vertical resolution of widescreen VHS was so poor that you lost detail so wasn't very popular.
Night457
Global Moderator

I have the U.S. widescreen Die Hard and Star Wars (and Alien and Aliens) VHS releases (note: those are all FOX), and several later Akira Kurosawa films that were also widescreen. DVD in widescreen was definitely a big improvement over their VHS counterparts. Fortunately the format transition came about at the right time for me, when I had the money to spare to buy movies. I never got a widescreen CRT, but the 'only' 32" standard monster I have is 115 lbs (52 kg). That bastard was a royal pain to finally move down to the garage last year. It is quite an armful.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

More recent (to rent)...

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:byonmzsqxxwi6ggz6ip4hjlib3f67qdt&dn=Fly.Away.Home.1996.2160p.AI-Upscaled.TrueHD.5.1-H265.DirtyHippie.rife4.9-60fps&xl=20616768335&fc=11
:)