[REL] Fly Away Home (1996)

emuler

Re: [REL] Fly Away Home (1996)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:42 pm
ghost wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:38 pm
Rich_Visiting wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:21 pm The scene where she is in the bath and the guy walks in and she jumps out the bath, it's like a skin textured tape, I think, now you have me wondering lol It's in the Fly Away Home movie not this one
Hmmm. I can't see anything of her "body" and therefore not any tape. But maybe I'm just blind. :?
It's more likely my memory :lol: I'm sure I remember it though, can't see anything anyway because of the tape. Maybe it was in an earlier version or something. Or I could be going crazy :eyecrazy Would be worth checking VHS just to confirm, but as I say nothing is seen anyway :-?
I too have a vague recollection of more skin in that scene - or is it just wishful thinking on my part? :oops: :lol: My memory is not great but I seem to remember a very quick full body flash (I thought the obscuring was by soapsuds, though). I also seem to remember a longer conversation with the father's girfriend - where she (Anna's character) wails "He saw everything!".

She screamed because the pressure driven soap dispenser malfunctioned and squirted thick white sticky stuff into her eyes. :shock: :roll: :lol: :oops:

If possible, could an admin please move these posts to the Fly Away Home thread where they belong?
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 amI seem to remember a very quick full body flash
OMG It had tape :lol:
emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 am I too have a vague recollection of more skin in that scene - or is it just wishful thinking on my part? :oops: :lol:
Ahhh lol maybe we saw the same part , such is the quality of VHS, but I'm sure I saw after that. Anyhow it's just a scene with nothing shown lol nothing to write about!
Last edited by Rich_Visiting on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 am
If possible, could an admin please move these posts to the Fly Away Home thread where they belong?
Agree, out :thumbsup
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

The posts that were previously in [REL] The Member of the Wedding (1997) have now been moved, as we were discussing THIS movie instead!

While I am ready to credit any number of us old people with fuzzy memories or wishful thinking, I don't think either Rich or emuler are "crazy." I have to take their memories seriously!

Are you ready for some movie nerd tech? Skip ahead for those who know already.

"Fly Away Home" was shot on 35mm with spherical lenses, which would have a camera aspect ratio of 1.33:1. It was presented theatrically in widescreen 1.85:1, which means the top and bottom of the image were matted out. Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel is no hack, so we can be certain he composed the image for widescreen, as intended by director Carroll Ballard. Matting out the top and bottom has the added benefit of hiding overhanging boom mikes and other things not meant to be seen by the audience.

"Fly Away Home" was released on VHS and early DVD in 1.33 fullscreen ratio, intended for the old CRT televisions. This is also how it would have been for television broadcasts. It was only the later DVDs and the blu-rays that had the original theatrical widescreen image. That is the ratio of popdrome's Release, so that is the only way I personally have seen it.

Sometimes full-screen 1.33 home media is "panned and scanned" (boo! hiss!), which means it chops off even MORE of the image, but this time from the left and right sides. Often what the media companies did instead was release movies for home consumption in "Open Matte" format, which showed MORE of the image from the original camera negative. Sure you might see a boom mike, but you might see other interesting things too. I am guessing that the "Fly Away Home" fullscreen presentations were in fact Open Matte.

There are movie geeks dedicated specifically to collecting Open Matte movie versions. I have begun looking for an Open Matte download of "Fly Away Home," rather than spending a few dollars on the old VHS or original DVD versions. There is a very good chance that Rich and emuler got to see some TAPE in full screen!
emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 amI also seem to remember a longer conversation with the father's girfriend - where she (Anna's character) wails "He saw everything!".
As it is NOW, she says "He's so weird!" As I noted, I thought this dialog strange. It may very well be a redub of the dialog as you remember it, which makes far more sense of her squalling! Of course there is also her New Zealand accent, which makes some of her dialog difficult to understand.
She screamed because the pressure driven soap dispenser malfunctioned and squirted thick white sticky stuff into her eyes. :shock: :roll: :lol: :oops:
I hate it when that happens. Goo!

That's what I sort of thought, but she should have stayed in the shower so the water would flush it out! Instead she got out of the shower and KEPT SCREAMING. Jeez, it's just soap, are you a baby or something, girl? Quit yer crying!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Fly Away Home 00:40:29,596 --> 00:40:42,025 wrote:AMY: He's so weird!
SUSAN: You're right, he is.
AMY: I miss my friends and my room. Who was that guy?
SUSAN: Just a guy. He didn't see you.
AMY: He did too!
SUSAN: No, he didn't.
AMY: He did.
SUSAN: No.
[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]

These are clearly the expressions of two complete innocents who SAW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

(note: these do not quite represent the actual quality of popdrome's release, because I had to take unusual measures to screencap H265 video on my old computer.)
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:30 am The posts that were previously in [REL] The Member of the Wedding (1997) have now been moved, as we were discussing THIS movie instead!

While I am ready to credit any number of us old people with fuzzy memories or wishful thinking, I don't think either Rich or emuler are "crazy." I have to take their memories seriously!

Are you ready for some movie nerd tech? Skip ahead for those who know already.

"Fly Away Home" was shot on 35mm with spherical lenses, which would have a camera aspect ratio of 1.33:1. It was presented theatrically in widescreen 1.85:1, which means the top and bottom of the image were matted out. Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel is no hack, so we can be certain he composed the image for widescreen, as intended by director Carroll Ballard. Matting out the top and bottom has the added benefit of hiding overhanging boom mikes and other things not meant to be seen by the audience.

"Fly Away Home" was released on VHS and early DVD in 1.33 fullscreen ratio, intended for the old CRT televisions. This is also how it would have been for television broadcasts. It was only the later DVDs and the blu-rays that had the original theatrical widescreen image. That is the ratio of popdrome's Release, so that is the only way I personally have seen it.

Sometimes full-screen 1.33 home media is "panned and scanned" (boo! hiss!), which means it chops off even MORE of the image, but this time from the left and right sides. Often what the media companies did instead was release movies for home consumption in "Open Matte" format, which showed MORE of the image from the original camera negative. Sure you might see a boom mike, but you might see other interesting things too. I am guessing that the "Fly Away Home" fullscreen presentations were in fact Open Matte.

There are movie geeks dedicated specifically to collecting Open Matte movie versions. I have begun looking for an Open Matte download of "Fly Away Home," rather than spending a few dollars on the old VHS or original DVD versions. There is a very good chance that Rich and emuler got to see some TAPE in full screen!
emuler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 amI also seem to remember a longer conversation with the father's girfriend - where she (Anna's character) wails "He saw everything!".
As it is NOW, she says "He's so weird!" As I noted, I thought this dialog strange. It may very well be a redub of the dialog as you remember it, which makes far more sense of her squalling! Of course there is also her New Zealand accent, which makes some of her dialog difficult to understand.
I hate it when that happens. Goo!

That's what I sort of thought, but she should have stayed in the shower so the water would flush it out! Instead she got out of the shower and KEPT SCREAMING. Jeez, it's just soap, are you a baby or something, girl? Quit yer crying!
Damn Night, you are intense, but in a good way :heart I used to be the same but not so much attention to detail :think
Night457 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:30 amI don't think either Rich or emuler are "crazy."

Getting there, I'll refrain from asking the definition of crazy lol. Not ready for tech, will trust you. At the same time I'll take a learnEd lesson and not respond to everything. I'll just say that you have at least some strong feelings, which in this world is a good thing. And also that the tape is there in the VHS version :lol:
Last edited by Rich_Visiting on Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:06 amNot ready for tech, will trust you.
I figure most everyone geeks out about something, whether it be baseball, computers or gardening -- and everyone else rolls their eyes and has no idea what they are nattering on about. For me it is movies and how they are seen and heard. Don't get me started on the superiority of original mono soundtracks vs. modern surround remixes for vintage movies.
the tape is there in the VHS version :lol:
I guess that rather than buying it I could stop by my local Blockbuster and RENT it ... :roll:

So far the old torrents seem to be dead but there are some emule dvd avi files that may give me something.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Don't bother with BluRay or DVDs - I checked both versions on uloz and a few on torrent. Even a DVD9 from Italy. Have to go back and look for a VHS.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I did not look at any blu-ray torrents because I knew they would all be proper widescreen. I did not get any bits at all on the 3 dvd torrents I loaded, but since the creation date for all of them was 2017, they were probably none of them the original fullscreen dvd release. I can find other movies labelled Open Matte in torrents, but not this one.

I got an Italian dvdrip on emule, but it was wide. Of course this is what I would normally WANT, but this time I am looking for the odd version! I have a few other 700-800 mb dvdrips loaded in emule, but no movement yet. With the size and the fact that one is an avi, they are at least OLD files.

Problem is, with multiple quality upgrades there is absolutely no reason for people to continue torrenting VHSrips over two decades later! I thought maybe someplace would have it streaming, like an old YouTube video that never got deleted, but I found nothing.

I am sure there are thrift stores that have such old DVDs for a dollar or two, but the cost of gas driving around checking them out would drive the price way up! Generally used DVDs online cost more for shipping than for the disc itself, and sellers frequently swap out the wrong edition because they simply do not have a clue. "It's the right movie, so what's the difference?"

I think I am done looking for this. After all, I have popdrome's superior quality version for when I actually just want to watch the MOVIE again, rather than look for a piece of tape! :lol:
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Ha, ha. Yes, we do tend to get obsessed with finding the best, the most complete, the most clear version available, rather than enjoying what we already have. And when all is said and done, popdrome's HEVC version is fabulous. If someone stumbles across the elusive VHS rip, we'd certainly like to see what's different, but for viewing purposes we already have the best. (until people start hankering after 4k) :lol:

Btw does anyone want the 7GB DVD9 I'm downloading? I'm going to delete it.

As a result of having watched this particular scene innumerable times I've developed a strong urge to smack her - gets soap in her eyes and starts screaming like a toddler. Bah!