[REL] Secret de banlieue (2002)

sodepetahi

Re: [REL] Secret de banlieue (2002)

Post by sodepetahi »   0 likes

To simply state ''Even the few foreign words that you guys do speak are mangled beyond recognition'' is a crass generalisation. There are good and bad speakers of any language whether as a first or second language. There are those who believe that if they go abroad that they simply have to shout in English to make themselves understood, but everyone should try a second language. I agree with the comments about the creeping Americanisation of the English language. I also note the American ''you guys'' which was used in Emuler's argument : ) note of us are escaping the influence...
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

I'm not against Americanisms per se, only against the unshakeable belief that whatever pronunciation they choose has to be the correct one. English is not a phonetically complete and unambiguous language (refer George Bernard Shaw's rants on the subject), but the English and the Americans are blissfully unaware of the inadequacies of their own language and show no desire to take the trouble to learn the correct pronunciation of the names of people and places in foreign parts.

It is most probably due to a racist bias. Most people from UK and US have no difficulty pronouncing 'Guy Forget' (the white tennis player from France; 'guy' being pronounced 'gee', and 'forget' as 'four'+'jay'), but everyone seems to call Baghdad 'bag'+'dad', whereas the correct pronunciation is 'bug'+'dahd' where 'dahd' is pronounced with a soft 'd' as in 'the' and to rhyme with 'hard'. For over 15 years that place has been in the forefront of the news, yet the mistake is still not rectified. Maybe they feel that if they change now, no one will know what they are talking about. How can they possibly hope to win the battle for the hearts and minds of the Muslim world when they can't even pronounce that right.

Another case: sports commentators. Our TV coverage of international cricket has at least two commentators on at once, and usually one is from the host nation. One of our retired star cricketers 'Kapil Dev' was consistently mispronounced by white commentators as 'cap'+'ill' instead of 'cup'+'ill'. And this when the other commentator using the correct pronunciation was less than a foot away. How can you hear the correct pronunciation spoken by someone sitting right next to you (who is from the same country as the person with the name in question) and still stick to your guns? Because he's not white?
household

Post by household »   0 likes

This films looks great.

However, having added it to my download list once again the last seen complete date shows never.

This has happened for the last 20 odd films I have tried to add on here. I tried adding films as well which were quite recent (around december time) but even these are no longer available it seems.

Some advice on the best way to find films which will/have a better chance of being available would be appreiciated, i'm not sure if anyone will check here, so I may start a new thread about stratagies and advice for using the site and finding films which are complete.

If anyone can help me out by seeding this it would be a great help.

At the moment i'm getting frustrated having tried to add so many films, but they all return "never" as the last seen complete date. I am new to this, but I gather that message means its almost certain that I won't be able to download a complete copy, and so am wasting my time.
household

Since my original post it has now a complete source..

Is this common? if so perhaps I am being a bit hasty or doing something wrong. I thought that if after adding it to your list there was no "last seen" complete date then it was pointless continuing with the download.

However I waited a few minutes and its status changed.
Is this common? what would be a good idea, waiting a couple of days after adding a title to see if this also occurs

Thanks for the help.
rmt@36

Post by rmt@36 »   0 likes

Just because it says never does not mean you will not be able to download it.

It just may take a while, a good portion of the movies can take a week or more to download. And if you really want a movie like me, it can take up to a year to download.

Most movies will not be downloaded in a couple of days.

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE

That must be your mantra, when it comes to downloading movies.

Good Luck
household

Thanks rmt. Good advice.

There are a number of movies I really want.

I guess i'll have to practice being patient. I don't mind waiting, just as long as there is some hope that eventually I will get the movie.

I am also aware that whilst many people on here will have the complete copy people will soon get fed up of someone if they keep asking people to re-seed movies all the time.
wizardly1

Post by wizardly1 »   0 likes

The movie. I have this one and am a source, and I am online a lot. So feel free to grab it if I am online!

Wiz
household

Cheers wiz, i'll be constantly there.

Its going ok, got 260mb so far and downloading at 12kbs currently.

I should also add as I look through movies to download if the links given are no longer complete sources, and I find an alternative link which is I will post it in the relevant thread to keep it updated.
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

If you find an alernative verified link, please change REL to RREL.

Thanks
redcat

Post by redcat »   0 likes

I always seen it incomplete. But it's old release.