[REL] Sara (1997)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Sara (1997)

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Oh boy, here we go. I am pretty enthusiastic to watch this movie, especially from the recommendation and general interest it has. I've been trying to do some poking around of this on my own to help narrow down all these options.

With a apparent option of around 6 encodes in 1080p, along with 720p and a proper DVD9, this gets complicated quick to me, and I already have a hard time deleting different encodes of the same movie, making this is pretty tough to figure out which to grab.

I have seen screenshots of that 1080i HD capture from "m3th" and I can verify it is quite bad. Even 700mb dvdrips from years ago look better. Example in spoiler.
Spoiler:

[Image]

I have to admit, I like seeing all those seeders available for the "CVPPStudio AI-Up 1080p" files, and they are tempting. goku, you have mentioned that the file could be seen as too sharp. Would you say you prefer this over the full DVD grainy look?

And anyone else who has downloaded one of them, can you tell me if, in your opinion, does the CVPPStudio encode look good enough to use instead of the DVD?

I am also trying to download another 1080p file not mentioned, called "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv" which comes to 9.32gb. I'll chime in to let you know how it looks.
edit: also i am grabbing "FileSara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski].mkv" at 2.95gb
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:55 am Oh boy, here we go. I am pretty enthusiastic to watch this movie, especially from the recommendation and general interest it has. I've been trying to do some poking around of this on my own to help narrow down all these options.

With a apparent option of around 6 encodes in 1080p, along with 720p and a proper DVD9, this gets complicated quick to me, and I already have a hard time deleting different encodes of the same movie, making this is pretty tough to figure out which to grab.

I have seen screenshots of that 1080i HD capture from "m3th" and I can verify it is quite bad. Even 700mb dvdrips from years ago look better. Example in spoiler.
Spoiler:

[Image]

I have to admit, I like seeing all those seeders available for the "CVPPStudio AI-Up 1080p" files, and they are tempting. goku, you have mentioned that the file could be seen as too sharp. Would you say you prefer this over the full DVD grainy look?

And anyone else who has downloaded one of them, can you tell me if, in your opinion, does the CVPPStudio encode look good enough to use instead of the DVD?

I am also trying to download another 1080p file not mentioned, called "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv" which comes to 9.32gb. I'll chime in to let you know how it looks.
edit: also i am grabbing "FileSara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski].mkv" at 2.95gb
Hahaha pillow, I am in the exact same boat as you and already got downloaded most of these version (some additional to the ones you mentioned although I did the same for the other polish film „Psy“ with the same male lead actor so I might confuse them sometimes). I can tell you that the Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv one hasn’t downloaded for me for days. I got some other web-dl/hdtv ones that are all of different file size and they completed downloading.

I will extract the first 5-10 minutes of each version and upload for comparison. (Lossless extraction).
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I look forward to seeing your comparisons, goku. I hope you don't mind if I stick to screenshots.

I did finish the 9.32gb file "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv" from solidtorrents. The upscale looks nice, and not too sharp. Some faces I thought looked a little too smooth, but I am almost certain it's just makeup. I also contains no less than THREE Russian voiceovers! Fortunately original Polish audio and English subs are included.

Edit: Here are the screeshots for "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv"

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image][Image]

I am not sure if I grabbed very good screenshot moments. They honestly don't look as good to me now. It does look better while playing. Maybe this is a 6 out of 10? I am seeding the file if there's interest.

The file named "Sara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski]" is still downloading, currently at 71%.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
goku33

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:29 am I look forward to seeing your comparisons, goku. I hope you don't mind if I stick to screenshots.

I did finish the 9.32gb file "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv" from solidtorrents. The upscale looks nice, and not too sharp. Some faces I thought looked a little too smooth, but I am almost certain it's just makeup. I also contains no less than THREE Russian voiceovers! Fortunately original Polish audio and English subs are included.

Edit: Here are the screeshots for "Sara_1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mkv"

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

I am not sure if I grabbed very good screenshot moments. They honestly don't look as good to me now. It does look better while playing. Maybe this is a 6 out of 10? I am seeding the file if there's interest.

The file named "Sara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski]" is still downloading, currently at 71%.
Thanks! Nice to see that the 9.32GB one finished for you. It’s interesting that in your vlc snapshots the subtitles are visible (I assume they’re not hardcore into the file?).

Haha, it would all be so much easier if they just released a true 1080p version of the film.
goku33

By the way, apparently they also released a CD with the film’s soundtrack! See: https://archiwum.allegro.pl/kategoria/p ... ara%201997

AmazonVideo lists it Here as Englisch dubbed Version? No sign regarding video resolution: https://www.amazon.com/Sara-Boguslaw-Li ... B01M3OBN30

Apparently German television aired this film in 2007 but since then never again and Despite my many sources, I was not able to track down a TVRip/VHSRip of it (for German speakers. I mostly prefer original versions myself)

1080p russian dubbed stream (must be AI upscale): https://ok.ru/video/1567359242743

[Image] [Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

I love how you are source of ever-extra side information, goku. I sometimes try to link soundtracks and books associated to some of the releases here.

I grabbed some screens from that 1080p upscale on ok.ru goku linked. It likely won't win out over some of the other options we've found, and it is noticeably darker. But it does not appear too sharp or glossy. However, I think the DVD9 would provide similar or better quality. Here are some screens from it:

[Image] . [Image] . [Image]

Also, the 2.95gb file titled "Sara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski]" downloaded for me last night. Once I finish seeding it back to a good ratio, I don't think I'll be keeping it. It is similarly dark as the ok.ru stream, the audio seems pretty subdued, and no one will accuse this one of making the detail too sharp. Also, the upscaling process (or the quality of the source file) made the credits at the beginning have this fuzzy effect. It does have only Polish audio, though! Here are some screens:

[Image] . [Image] . [Image]

I think I'll try one of those uloz options Night linked that are around the 3gb range.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Before attempting the uloz files, I randomly tried downloading a 6.43gb file from solidtorrents that listed 0 seeders, and it completely downloaded in around an hour. Suppose you never know until you try.

The file is titled "Sara (1997) [1080P] [WEB.DL] [H264] [AC3-E1973] [LEKTOR.PL] [NAPISY ENG]". I wonder if this is that 6gb Web-Dl that goku mentioned on page 3. I am a bit happier with this file. Has nice audio, included softsubs, and the upscale process didn't give anything that marbled look. Fine details are still only as good or perhaps only slightly better than a DVD9 source, but I could be wrong. It includes TWO Polish audio tracks, one is 5.1, other is 2.0. I will be closely comparing this file with the first 9gb file I downloaded a couple days ago. Til then, here are the screens:

[Image] . [Image] . [Image] . [Image] . [Image] . [Image]

Sorry goku, I have the habit of leaving subs on while taking screenshots.

File:
https://solidtorrents.eu/torrents/sara- ... d54786c9c/
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

goku and pillowbaker, I can not keep up! :icon_biggrin2

Please continue exploring the options for this film and keeping us updated! After both of you have finished downloading all the versions and come to a consensus on which one is "best", AND you have both watched the film in its entirety, please then post your final joint decision in the thread too. If you can not agree on one version, then post your top two best choices.

I do not DARE to actually watch this movie when a better version is about to show up, and I am not about to download and compare a dozen versions when you two are already doing it for me. I appreciate that very much!

:thumbsup
goku33

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 pm goku and pillowbaker, I can not keep up! :icon_biggrin2

Please continue exploring the options for this film and keeping us updated! After both of you have finished downloading all the versions and come to a consensus on which one is "best", AND you have both watched the film in its entirety, please then post your final joint decision in the thread too. If you can not agree on one version, then post your top two best choices.

I do not DARE to actually watch this movie when a better version is about to show up, and I am not about to download and compare a dozen versions when you two are already doing it for me. I appreciate that very much!

:thumbsup
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I‘m glad to have found someone to collab with in pillowbaker :D Obviously this whole hunt for the best version available is also where my OCD for proper file names and even NFO files comes from ;) It’s one thing the P2P community does better in my opinion than the warez scene - e.g. renaming WEB releases from the scene to AMZN.WEB-DL.

Although the P2P (torrent) sites can also mess around: rargb for some time always renamed all AMZN.WEB-DL‘s to AMZN.WEBRip :D This lead to people being confused like this: https://old.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comment ... _labeling/

Personally I don’t understand why people got to make it this complicated. Just name the source once. (And to me WEB-DL is untouched, WEBRip is captured/recorded).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:58 pm This lead to people being confused like this:
Personally I don’t understand why people got to make it this complicated. Just name the source once. (And to me WEB-DL is untouched, WEBRip is captured/recorded).
I am beginning to like your idea of naming the source rather than distinguishing between WEB-X and WEB-Y. Recording a live stream in real time would be a pain, but I have "captured" streams in faster than real time.

I have Googled "Webrip vs webdl" about 20 times in the past few weeks. I have to reread the explanation every single time, and then I forget. For me a RIP has always been what you do to a physical disk, such as CD or DVD. (These are the original sources for file sharing before iTunes realized it could sell them!) If I get something from the Internet, then it is a DOWNLOAD. So if I RIP something and share it online, it becomes a DOWNLOAD for someone else. Dammit! The only thing that matters is the actual original source, which you have pointed out is often not named. I am beginning to understand. And a "rip" can be compressed down to a smaller size (700Mb DVDrip) or retained as an original 1:1 copy (7000Mb ISO). I always convert an ISO to individual MKVs because they are easier for me to play back, and I have been naming them "PALdvdCopy" to distinguish them from something that I have re-encoded. What is the correct Scene term for original untouched DVD files, even if they have been re-encapsulated in an MKV? I am curious.

It gets more confusing when a streaming site like Vimeo offers a download option of a single file. So is that considered a RIP (of a stream) or a DL (of a file)? Will there be any difference in the quality, choosing one way of downloading over another? I do notice that Vimeo download options often include multiple files, and sometimes there is an "original" 1080p that is at least larger than the standard 1080p, so it may very well be better. But in either case I am DLing a file, not RIPping a stream.

And there are streaming sites where I go into F12 Developer Tools and find the exact m3u8 file on the site and then download it rather than record the stream with my VCR. (Umm...)

Wait, what is this thread actually about? Oh yeah ... I know this is heresy at FLM, but I am actually more interested in this movie because of Boguslaw rather than the blonde chick!