[REL] Sara (1997)

goku33

Re: [REL] Sara (1997)

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:26 am
All versions of this movie I have compared so far have all had the same runtime, with a variation of only one second. Imdb runtime 1h50m, and file runtimes are 1h47m23s, and all the files I have so far are 25fps. So, I imagine this could be explained by the PAL speed up. I'll keep my nose out for any cuts.
The version they aired on German television in 2004 and 2007 was 1h45m.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

Ok, I have some of those 1080p versions that Night linked here.

Here are 4 screenshots from the one with the filename "Sara 1997 (1080p) PL.rar" 2.95gb

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

This one seems to be around the same quality as the other 1080p upgrades, including the 6gb one. It does feature nice, clear, 5.1 original Polish audio. Image quality to me seems pretty nice.

Up until now, I was beginning to get pretty confident in that 9gb one I posted about earlier, but looking closely at the details, it isn't always consistent. While the movie is playing, it overall looks pretty great and magnifies the details fairly nicely, but then it sometimes smears and washes out other details, which I originally thought was a result of makeup. Look here:

From 9gb "Sara 1997_1080p_AI_3Rus_Pol_Sub_en_ru.mvk"

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

9gb --> [Image] 2.95gb --> [Image]

The larger 9gb encode smudges the subtle detail of his cheek and chin hairs.

I am becoming less confident in that one. I am curious to see a screenshot of the 12gb file for this timeframe (at time 14:41).
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 am The larger 9gb encode smudges the subtle detail of his cheek and chin hairs.

I am becoming less confident in that one. I am curious to see a screenshot of the 12gb file for this timeframe (at time 14:41).
You’re doing the lords work pillowbaker!

(or is there a similar saying for this? I sometimes feel weird using religious words in sayings).

And yes the detail of his cheek/chin is terrible in the AI Version. The AI messed it up..

Do You already have the 12GB file? If not, I could upload it. I will take a look today for the versions I downloaded - I finally managed to make some space on the HDD.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Wow pillowbaker, you really have your ducks all in a row! I could clearly see the differences in the samples you posted. Your work is the cat's pyjamas, and you are the bee's knees. You may even qualify as a true humanitarian, with the service you are doing for the rest of us.

I think I will refrain from calling your post the dog's bollocks, because most people who are non-British would probably misunderstand my positive intent. This is what comes from my trying to avoid religious expressions ... ah well.

It amuses me that the file you are speaking of most favorably SO FAR is the one that it turns out I downloaded A YEAR AGO. Oh, come on! I should have just watched it then!

Goku, I am a little scared of your 12Gb file, but I most definitely AM interested in your thoughts on quality comparisons too. If that monster file is the best looking one, then it is the best looking one.

Pretty soon both of you will have to lay your cards on the table.

(Aaaack, another idiom! My apologies for all those bewildered if none of them translate out of English.)
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 am I am becoming less confident in that one. I am curious to see a screenshot of the 12gb file for this timeframe (at time 14:41).
You’ve been quite fast with all this pillowbaker :) Here are the only versions i currently have:
Sara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski].mkv‘
'Sara (1997) [1080P] [WEB.DL] [H264] [AC3-E1973] [LEKTOR.PL] [NAPISY ENG].mkv'
'Sara.1997.AI.DVD.UP.1080p-CVPPStudio.mkv‘
'Sara (1997).PAL.DVD.iso'

Here is the 12GB/AU Upscale file (only an excerpt/LOSSLESS cut from it (4minutes starting at 00:10:00) for comparisons. I will share the full file in the future:

https://gofile.io/d/ygIlJF

I also downloaded the other Film with Boguslav Linda (should post that in its own thread on FLM):
Psy 1.1992 [REM] [HDTV] [m1080p.x264-NitroTeam][PL]'
'Psy 1992 PL.mp4'
Psy Remastered 1992 720p.avi'
'Psy (1992).PAL.DVD.iso' '
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

:oops: :oops:
You guys are giving me too much credit. Honestly, I feel like I should have been done by now. goku, your expression is totally fine, I see that one specifically used in non-religious areas and moments. And obviously, even a native speaker can look towards Night for further articulation on the matter. In fact, Night, you could say you are the fox's socks, and your endeavors are the crackerjack of all humdingers—straight up, leaps thy apotheosis!

Thank you goku, for supplying that segment! I have downloaded it and will review it and the other two uloz files momentarily. I did grab one of the encodes of Psy, but if you have a higher quality version of what's been shared, go ahead and let us know. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

(I had to look up that Moby Dick quote for sure, and I guarantee I had not the faintest clue what it meant when I read it years ago. I can barely figure it out now.)

I just want to encourage the two of you, that's all!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

You most assuredly have, it's fun knowing someone is looking forward to the results!

So before the next set of comparisons, I need to point out that three of the encodes that I've been looking at are most likely the same file! :icon_1idiot

It's only struck me just now that I've been seeing that filesize 2.95gb pop up a few times.

Sara 1997 [1080p.WEB-DL.H264.AC3.5.1-NoNaNo-NitroTeam] [Film Polski].mkv
Sara 1997 (1080p) PL.mkv (originally in a rar arhcive - from uloz link)
Sara PL (akční,romant.drama,1997) HD 78%.mkv (also a uloz link)

All are listed as having 3,178,260,707 bytes, and "size on disk" is 3,178,262,528 bytes except for the last one in the list above, which is "size on disk" 3,178,299,392 bytes. And all three have the same audio track title "AC3 5.1 >>>nitro.to<<< - [Polish]". And I can't notice any visible image quality differences.

That does help narrow things down a bit.

Next up is the first uloz link, the file titled "Sara.1997.1080p.AIDenoise.x265.AC3.PL.Sub.EN.mkv" at 2.09gb. Note, it is an x265 encode.

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

Like the 9gb file, this one does well overall and looks good in motion. It highlights some details nicely, but then also smudges some other fine details. It also seems hazy sometimes. So I can say it does smooth some things over a bit, but de-noising was its goal. It is just as or nearly as good as the 9gb file, and the 9gb file does not seem 7gb better.

I encourage anyone interested to check out goku's link. You do not have to download the 465mb file, as gofile.io seems to allow you to stream it without issue.

Here are the screenshots:

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

The 12gb file does seem better. It is noticeably smooth, and does almost achieve that "modeled" look in some parts, but at the same time doesn't seem to be smoothing things out too much or smudging much at all. Still, there are some very clean looking faces that should seem clean, but that could be makeups.

That about wraps it up. I'll compile all options again and examine and contrast, and ponder.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I suspected the HD 78% Uloz link was a duplicate, which is one of the reasons I did not download it. Good to know that the NoNaNo Nitroteam file is probably the same. I especially appreciate the report on the Uloz AIDeonoise x265 file, because I can not effectively preview x265 codec on my computer. Finally, your positive report on the 12Gb file, great! I really would like to hear goku's opinion on it once he has had the chance to make comparisons himself. When it gets down to fine differences and video in motion, I am trusting my own eyes less and less. If I see shakiness in something, is that in the video itself or is it my own mental shakiness?
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:58 am
The difference between the x265 and 12gb file is significantly visible in the screenshot of the girl. The Face is much better In the HEVC version.

For me the screenshot/frame of the girl is good for performing a comparison: in some of the (especially AI) versions of this film her one eye is completely dark.

And thanks again for clarifying the duplicate versions. if the difference in file size is just a couple bytes, it’s basically the same file. (Hashing would be a different thing again)

Comparing the 9GB AI Version with the 1080p ok.ru stream - they seem to have different aspect ratio? The actress‘ face and body look wider to me in the ok.ru stream.

I will try to reach out to the polish distributor to ask for a remastering :D The AI Upscales quality obviously also depend on the source. Did they use the DVD or the supposed 1080p.WEB-DL files? I’m still baffled by the mediocre quality of the HDTV.1080p Version @pillowbaker checked out a while ago!

@pillowbaker
Spoiler:

And no @pillowbaker we’re not giving you too much credit :) I’ve been impressed by how much you’ve already achieved and compared. Due to my health issues, I‘m always very slow with..basically any task and unfortunately often only get one or two things done per day (while keeping lists with dozens of tasks/things to do lol)