[REL] Sara (1997)

goku33

Re: [REL] Sara (1997)

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:42 pm I always convert an ISO to individual MKVs because they are easier for me to play back, and I have been naming them "PALdvdCopy" to distinguish them from something that I have re-encoded. What is the correct Scene term for original untouched DVD files, even if they have been re-encapsulated in an MKV? I am curious.
The warez scene doesn’t do lossless DVD MKV‘s. (I personally just name my files DVD-MakeMKV). The scene would only release either the full DVD-R (ISO/IMG file) or an encode that is forced to follow their strict encoding rules (which is why P2P/torrent releases are often superior since the encoding can be done on an individual basis with fine tuning).
It gets more confusing when a streaming site like Vimeo offers a download option of a single file. So is that considered a RIP (of a stream) or a DL (of a file)? Will there be any difference in the quality, choosing one way of downloading over another? I do notice that Vimeo download options often include multiple files, and sometimes there is an "original" 1080p that is at least larger than the standard 1080p, so it may very well be better. But in either case I am DLing a file, not RIPping a stream.
That would be definitely a tricky case for filename scheme. I‘d personally name it ViMEO-Original.WEB-DL or something similar. Although just naming it Shortfilm.2023.1080p.WEB-DL.H264-VIMEO would usually already mean the highest quality *publicly available* at the time was downloaded. Vimeo is special because if an uploader/filmmaker allows downloading of the original file, you will get the raw video file they uploaded and not one of the re-encodes from Vimeo itself.

Imagine if you’d get the actual 8K file someone uploaded to YouTube. Obviously the original file can be a mess for sharing because it’s..well..uncompressed (depending on how the filmmaker exported their video). I’ve had cases where the 1080p streaming file yt-dlp downloaded from Vimeo was 300 MB (1080p) but the original file available for download on Vimeo was 1.5 GB MOV file (1080p).
And there are streaming sites where I go into F12 Developer Tools and find the exact m3u8 file on the site and then download it rather than record the stream with my VCR. (Umm...)
Yes and once you get the m3u, yt-dlp can also often handle that. Might even view the different available versions with:

Code: Select all

yt-dlp -F https://youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx 
Obviously the Addons VideoDownloadHelper and M3U-Detector can help. But as you have stated. In some cases F12 Developer Tools are the best or only chance in retrieving the information/URLs.
Wait, what is this thread actually about? Oh yeah ... I know this is heresy at FLM, but I am actually more interested in this movie because of Boguslaw rather than the blonde chick!
So apparently he’s quite the movie icon in Poland these days? I find it fascinating that he did two movies in the 90s with both young actresses ("Sara" and "Psy")
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Slowly I am starting to understand warez rulez. Thank you for the clarification!
goku33 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:59 pm Vimeo is special because if an uploader/filmmaker allows downloading of the original file, you will get the raw video file they uploaded and not one of the re-encodes from Vimeo itself.
That is what I thought was the case. I save the best for myself and emule the re-encode. I include the original site link, so if someone wants the honking big file they can grab it. I know most people just want something of reasonably good quality to quickly download and watch once. Their favorites get better quality and larger files. (Unfortunately I don't know what will be one of my favorites until I actually get around to watching it, so I download what I can if it is there.) Regular 1080p is good enough, they don't need a 40Gb complete Blu-Ray copy to download!
Imagine if you’d get the actual 8K file someone uploaded to YouTube.
Didn't you share a YouTube video about how YouTube likes to save server space with smaller recodes, and wants to charge uploaders for them to host higher quality files? I downloaded the video but I have not watched it yet.
I’ve had cases where the 1080p streaming file yt-dlp downloaded from Vimeo was 300 MB (1080p) but the original file available for download on Vimeo was 1.5 GB MOV file (1080p).
I have one movie where I think the original file had the audio out of sync, and Vimeo kindly corrected it for streaming. I muxed the two together so I had the big video but with synced audio. (Or I resynced the audio in the big video myself, I don't remember now.)
Yes and once you get the m3u, yt-dlp can also often handle that.
Yes it does, I am sure! I usually use Jdownloader, and then I have to select the one I want because I do not have it default to any particular quality: I want to see EVERYTHING available first. Youtube-dl defaults to highest quality available, so if I use it I just let it grab the highest quality because that is what I want anyway.
In some cases F12 Developer Tools are the best or only chance in retrieving the information/URLs.
It is torture but I gotta do what I gotta do!
So apparently he’s quite the movie icon in Poland these days? I find it fascinating that he did two movies in the 90s with both young actresses ("Sara" and "Psy")
It's just like Hollywood and France, where a wrinkly old man is almost always paired with a much younger hottie. I want to see an action film with an ass-kicking senior-citizen woman who has a hot young 20-something boyfriend. Maybe 73-year-old Sigourney Weaver can be coaxed back to the "Alien" franchise for yet another sequel / reboot /alternate universe version. Instead of having to rescue her cat or a little girl from the alien monster, she has to rescue her boy-toy. "Get away from him, YOU BITCH! He is MINE!"

Anyway, Boguslaw was still relatively young then, so I was expecting his popularity might have waned by now. But in 2020 he did "Psy 3"!! I am a fan of his back to some of his early-1980s movies, when he was almost still "baby-faced". (Although it took some years until I actually discovered them, since I had to wait until the invention of DVD.)
goku33

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:55 pm Didn't you share a YouTube video about how YouTube likes to save server space with smaller recodes, and wants to charge uploaders for them to host higher quality files? I downloaded the video but I have not watched it yet.
Yes but I think youtube in this context cares about reducing bandwidth as well. I don’t use YouTube uploading myself so I don’t know how or what they store of users original uploads nowadays.
I have one movie where I think the original file had the audio out of sync, and Vimeo kindly corrected it for streaming. I muxed the two together so I had the big video but with synced audio. (Or I resynced the audio in the big video myself, I don't remember now.)
Hmm..now I wonder if that would thy typical thing yt-dlp often does and calls it: "ffmpeg: fixing malformed aac-stream"
Because it’s weird that according to you it was synchronous on Vimeo as a stream. Vimeo re-encoded the original file for streaming. But it’s not like they did something similar to what you do with asynchronous subtitles. So the simple remuxing or re-encoding process must have fixed the issue of the original file of the filmmaker…anyways I‘m getting ooooooooff topic even more lol!
Youtube-dl defaults to highest quality available, so if I use it I just let it grab the highest quality because that is what I want anyway.
You can configure youtube-dl with your own config file which I have. Mine definitely differs to the default settings because like you I want particular resolutions and codec. I know many archivists even download the vp9 versions which often have highest quality at lower file size and nowadays also support higher resolution on YouTube (e.g. for VR/360 degree videos YouTube seems to have removed some of the 4k/5k H264 streams and now only host these higher resolutions in VP9 etc.

My process is this: for youtube Videos I don’t have to review which quality there is and which I want to take because my config file does that (e.g. first trying to download 1080p/H264 and if that doesn’t exist for the video it will go lower etc). But yes, with ANY other site including Vimeo I usually list first all formats available with the -F flag on The commandline. (Well I think for sited like PHub YouTube-dl correctly gets 1080p/highest quality first, but with some other sites I definitely had cases where ytdl downloaded a lower resolution because it DID NOT detect the various streams qualify correctly! Mind you this can also be related to the site having done some changes and yt-dl‘s code (extractors) not being up to date anymore! (https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/tree/m ... /extractor)

I want to see an action film with an ass-kicking senior-citizen woman who has a hot young 20-something boyfriend. Maybe 73-year-old Sigourney Weaver can be coaxed back to the "Alien" franchise for yet another sequel / reboot /alternate universe version. Instead of having to rescue her cat or a little girl from the alien monster, she has to rescue her boy-toy. "Get away from him, YOU BITCH! He is MINE!"
Halle Berry is pushing 50, looking as good as ever, so does Kate Beckinsale but yeah they’re not really senior age like Sigourney Weaver. These was that Film Jennifer Lopez did "The Boy Next Door" with her being mid 40s and him like 22yo or something (actor probably 26 already). So not really what people on here might consider young I guess.
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:54 pm Because it’s weird that according to you it was synchronous on Vimeo as a stream. Vimeo re-encoded the original file for streaming. But it’s not like they did something similar to what you do with asynchronous subtitles.
Why not? It is partly a pay site so clearly there is some file moderation. It is easy to resync audio in an MKV using mkvmergeGUI. They just have to notice the problem. Of course not all directors are technerds, but why the original was out of sync in the first place is what bewilders me. Of course I could be misremembering this, because it was surely more than 2 weeks ago. :mrgreen: Maybe the original was good and Vimeo f*ed it up in the recode?

OMG I had no idea Kate Beckinsale was so "old" now! I think I have only seen in her in 1993's "Much Ado About Nothing" so I picture her as quite young.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:19 pm OMG I had no idea Kate Beckinsale was so "old" now! I think I have only seen in her in 1993's "Much Ado About Nothing" so I picture her as quite young.
That woman still looks amazing. But she’s an absolute weirdo haha https://yewtu.be/watch?v=8mQe7_l9iJI (not necessarily in a bad way).

In that clip Emilia Clark from Game of Thrones sits next to her and she’s much younger than Kate, but what a smokeshow Kate still is. I think someone once said Beckinsale‘s face is what majority of people consider classic beauty.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 pm goku and pillowbaker, I can not keep up! :icon_biggrin2

Please continue exploring the options for this film and keeping us updated! After both of you have finished downloading all the versions and come to a consensus on which one is "best", AND you have both watched the film in its entirety, please then post your final joint decision in the thread too. If you can not agree on one version, then post your top two best choices.

I do not DARE to actually watch this movie when a better version is about to show up, and I am not about to download and compare a dozen versions when you two are already doing it for me. I appreciate that very much!

:thumbsup
You hear that goku, we got people waiting in on us. ;) :mrgreen:

Let's finish this beanfest! Just a couple more downloads, then some comparing, then we should be done.

I imagine, if we decide that the 12gb upscale is the best version, there will be more than a few members not interested in such a large file?

So far, after some further comparison, the 9gb upscale I looked at is noticeable sharper and more detailed than 6gb web-dl I posted about last. But the 6gb version has something interesting, a 5.1 original Polish audio track. I imagine that the 9gb version may be too big for many folk as well. I think stripping out the three Russian VOs may help. And the 6gb version, I am thinking it is only slightly better than the DVD9, but I haven't downloaded the DVD9, I've only looked at screens.

I am downloading the rest of the uloz options and will post about them soon. The previews do look quite good for the 2-3gb range.
Night457
Global Moderator

Yeah! You guys get me more and more interested in this "SARA" movie I keep hearing about. And the chorus from the Jefferson Starship song keeps going through my head:
https://youtu.be/32ScTb6_KHg?t=73
Thanks a lot. But the video has a young boy in it, so it is still FLM appropriate.

I actually have multiple versions downloaded, but surely not what either of you would consider to be the best. That is why I wait.
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am I imagine, if we decide that the 12gb upscale is the best version, there will be more than a few members not interested in such a large file?
Tough noogies! If someone wants the "best" version available of a movie, it will most of the time be a large file. Generally I - and most everyone else - lives with a "good enough" smaller file because we value our drive space. That is a perfectly acceptable choice. But if you can rank a 2nd choice smaller file, that would be DELICIOUS!
I think stripping out the three Russian VOs may help.
It will help a little but not as much as you would hope, because the VOs are most likely plain compressed stereo and won't take much space. But it is worth a try. When I encounter a Russian dub that is actually a real multi-voice dub and not just a voiceover, I often move it last and have the original audio as the first and default track.

Boguslaw! Boguslaw! Boguslaw! I wanna see Boguslaw!
goku33

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am
Night457 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 pm goku and pillowbaker, I can not keep up! :icon_biggrin2

Please continue exploring the options for this film and keeping us updated! After both of you have finished downloading all the versions and come to a consensus on which one is "best", AND you have both watched the film in its entirety, please then post your final joint decision in the thread too. If you can not agree on one version, then post your top two best choices.

I do not DARE to actually watch this movie when a better version is about to show up, and I am not about to download and compare a dozen versions when you two are already doing it for me. I appreciate that very much!

:thumbsup
You hear that goku, we got people waiting in on us. ;) :mrgreen:

Let's finish this beanfest! Just a couple more downloads, then some comparing, then we should be done.

I imagine, if we decide that the 12gb upscale is the best version, there will be more than a few members not interested in such a large file?

So far, after some further comparison, the 9gb upscale I looked at is noticeable sharper and more detailed than 6gb web-dl I posted about last. But the 6gb version has something interesting, a 5.1 original Polish audio track. I imagine that the 9gb version may be too big for many folk as well. I think stripping out the three Russian VOs may help. And the 6gb version, I am thinking it is only slightly better than the DVD9, but I haven't downloaded the DVD9, I've only looked at screens.

I am downloading the rest of the uloz options and will post about them soon. The previews do look quite good for the 2-3gb range.
You’re faster than me haha !

I now also met some new people that are extremely good at remastering films (similar to ghost), I might ask them to give it a try with remastering this film.

5.1 audio is good.
connnor

Post by connnor »   0 likes

I don't want to open a can of worms here but you're solely talking about image quality and not about runtime, right? There aren't any cut scenes between the different versions?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

connnor wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:15 pm I don't want to open a can of worms here but you're solely talking about image quality and not about runtime, right? There aren't any cut scenes between the different versions?
This is a perfectly legitimate question. Currently, we are only looking at video quality. There's a lot of options to sort through, including a full DVD9 and several 1080p upscales of varying qualities. That said, if a cut was noticed, most here would not be as interested.

All versions of this movie I have compared so far have all had the same runtime, with a variation of only one second. Imdb runtime 1h50m, and file runtimes are 1h47m23s, and all the files I have so far are 25fps. So, I imagine this could be explained by the PAL speed up. I'll keep my nose out for any cuts.

Sorry for further delay, the computer crashed last night during the uloz download and I only just got home. Downloads are now resumed.