Extracting files from multipart RAR files

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Louche42

Re: [REL] Eu me lembro (2005) [Brazil]

Post by Louche42 »   0 likes

Warg wrote:The normal procedure to extract a splitted archive is:
1, Download all 9 parts of the archive (Eu me lembro.part01.rar to *.part09.rar) and put them into the same folder
2, Extract the first part (if WinRAR gives you a context menu, like 7zip does) - the parts of the archive will then be combined automatically. You can also open the first part - you should then get a list of all the files in the combined (!) archive - and choose the files you want to extract manually (in your case all of them).
There are many archive programs you can use for extraction, WinRAR is of course the best choice for a rar archive.
What I tried to say in the last post is: you should not keep the rev files you have downloaded in the same folder as the rar files. I guess it's them that trigger your error. Probably WinRAR thinks you want to repair a damaged archive not simply extracting it. I'm not sure that this is the solution for your problem but this is what I would try first ... :geek:
So should I download the 9 files with or without the rev files? And what do you mean "if" winrar gives you a context menu? I have seen no lists of any files in the "folder" except for the .rev files
I just tried downloading the 9 parts without the rev files, and when I opened it it just shows part 7 and 8 rar files.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:I suggest you may not have downloaded the .rar files successfully and should re-download them.
By all means post a screen shot of what you have - that will help us help you.
Should I try downloading them all separately? I'll try and post.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I never went to the site to download this so I'm not sure what was listed but Warg says there are 9 rar files. If you have 7 and 8, re-download all the rest of the rar files. Put them all in the same folder, then run unrar on the first one - the entire contents should be extracted.

If you have WinRAR installed, you can double-click on any of the rar files and it will show you a directory listing of the contents. Multi-part rar's show the same directory listing no matter which part you open. You can drag a file or files out into a folder, you can click Extract, etc. WinRAR is an excellent program - I've used it literally for decades.
Louche42

So no, don't download the rev files?
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

If you move one level downward inside WinRAR it shows you the folder the archive is in. That is the only reason I can think of why you see part 7 and 8 of the archive. Why the other parts are not there I cannot say. Phuzzy4242 is probably right with his guess that they are not (completely) downloaded (yet) ...

And no, you should not download the rev files. And didn't you say you have already downloaded them? :?
Louche42

I deleted them and started it over.
Here's where I'm at right now.
[Image]
Louche42

It's very weird, doing all this work for... I mean. You guys know what the contents of this movie are, right? And yet you're helping me.
Frankly, I have no idea how this movie was allowed to be made.
Last edited by Louche42 on Thu May 09, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

What happens if you double-click the "Eu me lembro.part01.rar" file?
Louche42

This does. Video files wouldn't open in VLC, but they did open in another program on here. So technically it all works.
Although it's all split apart still. I dunno if it was supposed to combine into a full movie or what. Also the program mentioned no subtitles, which made me wonder if it was supposed to have them?
[Image]

Still, I was able to view the movie. So thanks for the help.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

OK, I went to the site and downloaded the 9 rar files. They look like this in the directory:
[Image]

Double-click the first file (Eu me lembro.part01.rar) and get this. This is a folder that contains the DVD files that make up the film, its menus, extras, etc. You can drag it out of the rar file into a folder or your desktop. To play the movie just drag that folder and drop it on top of VLC.
[Image]

This is what's inside the Eu me lembro folder you dragged out of the rar. It has one subfolder:
[Image]

The VIDEO_TS folder is what you'd burn directly onto a dual-layer DVD or a BluRay disc. This is what's inside it:
[Image]

As you can see, everything worked 100% for me so there's a problem in your setup somewhere. The first, most obvious one is that you have rar files associated with VLC instead of WinRAR. Fix that, and it wouldn't surprise me if things start working correctly. ;)

For people who want this film via ed2k, here 'tis. English/French/Spanish/Russian subtitles, extras. Enjoy.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [5.63 Gb]
Louche42

Uh huh. Well I dragged the folder to VLC and nothing happened. Of course.
Also I already know that ed2k links do nothing for me. I'm guessing I need to install something additional right?
This is a lot of work for a few fleeting seconds of a movie in slightly better quality.
Without subtitles, I can't actually watch it fully, so can you guess what the purpose of the movie would be to me?