[REL] Daniel fait face (2018)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Daniel fait face (2018)

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I found it on a movie download site, I can't say no more which it was. :?

It had Web-DL in the title, so it must have been for streaming somewhere.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

I looked at it and it does look like an AI upscale. Not bad quality though
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 am I looked at it and it does look like an AI upscale. Not bad quality though

I don't think it is. There's none of that signature "plastic face" look on any of the characters, even in dark scenes at a distance. I think the original streaming source was a studio bluray or something equivalent. Or it's a downloaded digital copy - like what you'd get from vimeo on demand.
reptile12

deadman wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:49 am
reptile12 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 am I looked at it and it does look like an AI upscale. Not bad quality though

I don't think it is. There's none of that signature "plastic face" look on any of the characters, even in dark scenes at a distance. I think the original streaming source was a studio bluray or something equivalent. Or it's a downloaded digital copy - like what you'd get from vimeo on demand.
TBH I'm not sure. The reason I called it that was because some scenes especially closeups on faces have this signature "sandy color" type of look, where it almost looks like oil paint or cartoon with like a slight sandy texture to it or something, hard to explain. But if it is an upscale it is a very good one and pretty much not noticable anyway.

[Image]

If you look at the ear and the left eye you can see the plastic/paint look :P BUt kind of splitting hairs.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Yes, the file I found was indeed only in 720p. I used Topaz Video AI with high quality settings to upscale it.

I think it really looks good. It doesn't have the look of an upscale.

@ reptile12: You really have good eyes. :shock:
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:30 pmTBH I'm not sure. The reason I called it that was because some scenes especially closeups on faces have this signature "sandy color" type of look, where it almost looks like oil paint or cartoon with like a slight sandy texture to it or something, hard to explain. But if it is an upscale it is a very good one and pretty much not noticable anyway.

[Image]

If you look at the ear and the left eye you can see the plastic/paint look :P BUt kind of splitting hairs.

You do sometimes get a little of the not quite real face look when you do a rip. With AI upgrades of low quality sources it's extremely noticeable. But I have to say, I'm surprised this was an upscale. In most scenes you don't see any of that at all.

At slightly under an hour, this is on the extreme low end of content I've seen released on bluray. I wonder if we'll ever get a streaming version? Vimeo On Demand often gets these kinds of festival circuit movies that haven't seen a major release. They also let you download a DRM free digital copy, if you purchase (rather than rent) the film. Maybe even a 4K version!
reptile12

Damn, well, I guess I'm a bit obsessive over the source and not just the quality, so I overanalyze in order for everything to fit my system of organization (I organize by source) :P More than other people care to do

And yeah I was going to say it's hard to tell what's a result of the compression from a low bitrate bluray rip versus artifacts of an upscale, but whenever I see the lack of detail + oil paint/grain texture I tend to think upscale but I had to skip around for frames a lot more in this one :P
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

They also let you download a DRM free digital copy
And even if they don't, I have the possibilities to record/capture them in original quality.

I get many of my movies from online film festivals (rentals). Im most cases they don't let you download.