Is KAD network still safe ?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
goku33

Re: Is KAD network still safe ?

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:07 pm It would take one of the tech experts here to explain the differences and benefits of each, but I am always using both KAD Network and the ed2k Server in my eMule client. I would not avoid either one of them.

I also use a VPN, if that makes any difference for security.
Thanks. I’m in the process of setting everything up. I will try aMule despite Heyena originally calling it broken. I’ve seen people using it without issues. I was wondering if KAD gets assigned the same forwarded port as ED2K in Network settings.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:13 pm I will try aMule despite Heyena originally calling it broken.
I have not used it myself, but my impression is that broken or not, many people still use it. Heyana only stayed here two days to contribute the setup guide and then leave, so I don't know what his later opinion on amule was.
I was wondering if KAD gets assigned the same forwarded port as ED2K in Network settings.
My memory is fuzzy on eMule setup since I only had to do it twice (I think), but I believe that YES it is the same port. It is for TCP and UDP that you can assign two different ports. In my first setup I used two different ports, and in my second setup I gave them the same port. I do not see any difference in functionality. However, I have HighID because I port-forward using a VPN, so maybe if I was LowID there WOULD be a difference in using the same port.

Emule experts out there, what do you say about using two ports or just one?
goku33

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:20 pm Emule experts out there, what do you say about using two ports or just one?
Sadly, I feel like the number of actually really knowledgeable eMule users is really small. It’s such a niche nowadays. :(

For torrents you literally have hundreds of tutorials and articles, how-to‘s nowadays. And huge communities to ask for help & answers.

I think aMule by default had different ports in the settings for the different networks. I will reinstall it again and look at it. Also want to mention I will also always use VPN.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm Sadly, I feel like the number of actually really knowledgeable eMule users is really small. It’s such a niche nowadays. :(
I think you are right. I know of a few from FLM, some of whom have left and others who only visit occasionally. I can understand those who get tired of answering the same questions over and over. The Step-by-Step guide here is at 18 pages, and I certainly have not read all of just that one topic. There are 147 other topics in the eMule Help forum! I don't know how much of it would be helpful to you.

There is still this site, although it does not look updated:
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
For torrents you literally have hundreds of tutorials and articles, how-to‘s nowadays. And huge communities to ask for help & answers.
I have not looked for a help community for either one. But that does not mean they are not out there, maybe even for eMule.
I think aMule by default had different ports in the settings for the different networks.
Oops, I was not aware of that! Since you are using a VPN I am guessing that you can use it to forward more than one port.

From your posts it is obvious that you have considerable technical knowledge that vastly exceeds my own. It is simply that you are new to eMule. I have no doubt that you are capable of getting it working for you.
goku33

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:04 pm
goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm Sadly, I feel like the number of actually really knowledgeable eMule users is really small. It’s such a niche nowadays. :(
I think you are right. I know of a few from FLM, some of whom have left and others who only visit occasionally. I can understand those who get tired of answering the same questions over and over. The Step-by-Step guide here is at 18 pages, and I certainly have not read all of just that one topic. There are 147 other topics in the eMule Help forum! I don't know how much of it would be helpful to you.

There is still this site, although it does not look updated:
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
I have not looked for a help community for either one. But that does not mean they are not out there, maybe even for eMule.
I think aMule by default had different ports in the settings for the different networks.
Oops, I was not aware of that! Since you are using a VPN I am guessing that you can use it to forward more than one port.

From your posts it is obvious that you have considerable technical knowledge that vastly exceeds my own. It is simply that you are new to eMule. I have no doubt that you are capable of getting it working for you.
You’re too kind Night. But admittedly you’re probably right in that I do a lot of things that exceed the regular users technical knowledge. Albeit I often need longer to figure something out or understand it than the REAL tech/IT people. Like I am neither a programmer nor an engineer/scientist.

You bring up an interesting point, I think It’s possible to forward numerous ports with Mullvad and others. I’m sure I will get it to work soon.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm I think aMule by default had different ports in the settings for the different networks.
AFAIK Kad is based on UDP and server/data connections use TCP, but IIRC aMule had a second UDP port that eMule does not have. Not sure what it is exactly used for. Probably forwarding that second UDP port is not necessary. Haven't done any research on this, though.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:01 pm Is it recommended to use KAD or is there a lot of stuff on the KAD network that you won’t find with just the eDonkey2000 network?
I've always used both, but I've noticed that if ed2k gets disconnected (Kad only), the connection is very impaired, whereas losing Kad does not have such an impact.

In torrent terms, Kad is DHT and ed2k server is similar to a torrent tracker.
goku33

mimzy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:02 am I've always used both, but I've noticed that if ed2k gets disconnected (Kad only), the connection is very impaired, whereas losing Kad does not have such an impact.

In torrent terms, Kad is DHT and ed2k server is similar to a torrent tracker.
Here are aMule’s default port settings:

[Image] [Image]

These are all „incoming“ ports, correct? And it would be wise to not have these be the same ports at any time? Theoretically Mullvad does allow the forwarding of numerous ports so this wouldn’t be an issue with the VPN provider.

In the torrent client you only have to specify one forwarded port for incoming connections.

Also very interesting that like I assumed in one of my previous posts, aMule indeed also has a „IP binding“ feature similar to torrent clients. (qBittorrent allows binding to A) certain network interface B) particular IP address.

I think I already know my VPN network interface name and local VPN IP address - to which I can bind the aMule client then. This will add an additional killswitch (although Mullvads killswitch already uses system firewall rules to prevent traffic leaks).

I’d be thankful for a brief explanation of the ports in aMule (which port setting is used for which connections/purpose).
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm These are all „incoming“ ports, correct?
Yes.
goku33 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm And it would be wise to not have these be the same ports at any time?
Technically, TCP and UDP ports are independent, so probably using the same port number for TCP and UDP would be no problem.
goku33 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm In the torrent client you only have to specify one forwarded port for incoming connections.
Even when using DHT?
goku33 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm Also very interesting that like I assumed in one of my previous posts, aMule indeed also has a „IP binding“ feature similar to torrent clients. (qBittorrent allows binding to A) certain network interface B) particular IP address.

I think I already know my VPN network interface name and local VPN IP address - to which I can bind the aMule client then. This will add an additional killswitch (although Mullvads killswitch already uses system firewall rules to prevent traffic leaks).
Looking at the figure, it might be tricky. I understand that aMule wants to have an IP address rather than interface name, and the IP address of the VPN interface would probably be dynamic. (It is possible that Mullvad uses a fixed address).
goku33 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm I’d be thankful for a brief explanation of the ports in aMule (which port setting is used for which connections/purpose).
The TCP port is used to connect you as a high ID user. Having this port blocked (not forwarded), you will be low ID.

The normal UDP port is used for Kad. I suppose the port is not required if Kad is disabled. Looks like the UDP port is also used for global search, though.

What is "UDP port for server requests (TCP+3)" I frankly don't know. eMule does not have it AFAIK. Since aMule is based on an older eMule, maybe it was used in an older eMule version. I'm too lazy right now to research this.
goku33

mimzy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:10 pm Technically, TCP and UDP ports are independent, so probably using the same port number for TCP and UDP would be no problem.
Since we don’t have to specify the protocol for the forwarded ports on Mullvad.net, I assume they Open & forward both UDP and TCP of the same port to the customer.
Even when using DHT?
Interestingly, on their (now fully removed) old torrenting instructions they mention and recommend the disabling of DHT and local-Peer-Discovery options within qBittorrent (but experienced torrent users have told me you don’t have to disable dht, just bind torrent client to vpn interface:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210225015 ... ittorrent/
Looking at the figure, it might be tricky. I understand that aMule wants to have an IP address rather than interface name, and the IP address of the VPN interface would probably be dynamic. (It is possible that Mullvad uses a fixed address).
Oh, I guess you’re correct in that they use dynamic IP address of the VPN interface (I thought it always stays the same..I will check this on my Systems):
https://github.com/mullvad/mullvadvpn-app/issues/4031
The rotated IP provides better anonymity. We are working on a long term solution that will help you. But until then, can you check if your applications allow binding to an interface rather than an IP? That way you can bind them to the Mullvad tunnel network interface and have it forced through the tunnel.
The TCP port is used to connect you as a high ID user. Having this port blocked (not forwarded), you will be low ID.

The normal UDP port is used for Kad. I suppose the port is not required if Kad is disabled. Looks like the UDP port is also used for global search, though.

What is "UDP port for server requests (TCP+3)" I frankly don't know. eMule does not have it AFAIK. Since aMule is based on an older eMule, maybe it was used in an older eMule version.
Here, the aMule Wiki explains these ports as the following:

[Image]
https://web.archive.org/web/20210512205 ... Get_HighID

Although it’s interesting that we can’t modify the „UDP port for server requests (TCP+3)“ - which means it can’t be forwarded with Mullvad VPN as Mullvad gives you random ports you have to enter inside your software and You can’t tell Mullvad which ports you like to have forwarded:

[Image]

But in an old aMule Forum thread (from 2009) an admin answered with the following:
The TCP+3 UDP port is only necessary for special server communication. For Kad the normal, freely adjustable UDP port is sufficient.
So I will just try to forward the two ports separately and see how it goes.