[REL] Kapsalon Romy (2019)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Kapsalon Romy (2019)

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

Adjustments completed. This unzips into two English .srt files, one timed for popdrome's Dutch version and one for ghost's German version:
Kapsalon Romy & Romys Salon.zip
The 2 English files at opensubtitles have different timings but the same text, which looks to be a professional translation. Also, in the Dutch version of the movie there is a little bit of Danish dialog that is left untranslated in the subtitles, presumably because Romy does not understand it. (And it is not particularly important.)

Finally, if ANYONE has popdrome's Dutch version COMPLETE, would you please reshare? It is currently stuck at 78.9%. I have a confession to make: when I downloaded it 18 months ago, I think I was having problems with H265 playback, so I recoded the file to H264 and deleted the original! Well, now I have figured out H265 and I am dissatisfied with the quality of my recode. DOH!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpf

Post by jpf »   1 likes

@ Night457:
Here it's stuck at 1.01 GB, too. If we don't get a reshare, would you please share your H264 recode? I prefer the original Dutch audio over the German dub. Thanks!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I like original audio too. I will share my kinda-grungy recode if the original file does not show up. Be patient and give it a week, because I am sure the original untouched file is better. I suspect whoever has it complete is only eMuling occasionally and that it will reappear. Not everyone is able or willing to emule 24 hours a day every day!! I noticed that there are several people who have it partial, so I know the two of us are not the only ones interested. If only I had followed my old rule of never deleting any music or video file, I would be sharing the original file complete right now! What an idiot I am.

Normally if I am stuck with an inferior video (like my recode) that has good audio and a good video (like the German version) with audio that I like a little less, I would rip and remux the audio from one to the other, even if I have to change the start time of the audio to match the start time of the video. However, in THIS case the Dutch audio soundtrack (from dialog start to dialog end) is 4-5 seconds longer than the German! Believe me, I have done many failed experiments wasting hours of time stretching / compressing either audio or video to try to make things synch up. It never does, so I won't try it on this one.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Thanks for the subs, Night457. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so having someone else do the subs is a real blessing.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Yeah, I understand about eyesight! I have been thinking I need the font size maxed out AND a bigger monitor, especially with all these audio and video processing programs with tiny little buttons. Do they make 48" laptop touchscreens? :D

The fact is, since I am going to retrieve and retime subtitles ANYWAY, including for English subtitles with English audio, I might as well post them. I am still frustrated with slow upload speeds, but subtitles are small enough for me to handle.

You are welcome, and THANK YOU. I had watched this without subtitles back when popdrome posted it and enjoyed it very much, mostly understanding it. Now David32441 found German subtitles and was planning to translate them, and then you found English ones. Fantastic! It was definitely worth watching again.
jpf

Post by jpf »   2 likes

@ Night457:
Sure, I'll wait. Just wanted to make sure you won't delete your recoded file too, leaving me empty-handed.

About 10 years ago I waited 1 year for a torrent to complete, and it did. But other torrents and eMule files are still stuck after years of waiting, even if there were complete sources when I started downloading them. (None of them from FLM.)

I used to keep everything I downloaded, but not anymore. Now I only keep the movies I think I may eventually want to watch again.

I still have trouble playing some h265 files.

About synching the audio, well, that's an option, too. I've done it before. Usually 3 to 10 splits are enough. Changing the speed is needed only if the frame rates are different. Last month I synched "Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left", posted on TheNextThing forum (28 episodes, 24' each). It took a few days. By the way, it's a funny series that may fit well here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

jpf wrote:About 10 years ago I waited 1 year for a torrent to complete, and it did. But other torrents and eMule files are still stuck after years of waiting
You are seriously, seriously patient. The longest torrent for me was only 9 months, and I was disappointed but unsurprised with the result. (Hardcoded Chinese subtitles, which I can not read.) However, I kept getting a few kilobytes once or twice week, so I had evidence that it had not been abandoned -- the lone seeder was just not torrenting very often. Generally if I have no action on an already-started non-FLM eMule file for a month, I delete it. I find another source or do without the movie.
I used to keep everything I downloaded, but not anymore. Now I only keep the movies I think I may eventually want to watch again.
I know for a fact that I will NEVER watch again most of the thousands of movies I download or have on DVD. But if I keep the files, I will at least have a record that I DID download and watch a movie, so I don't accidentally keep downloading forgettable films when I already HAVE them! Even if a movie sounds familiar to me, I may not be certain if I actually saw it or just read about it. At least this way I can check and be sure.

In the case of Kapsalon Romy, I was too ignorant at the time to realize that there was NOTHING WRONG with the H265 file. I recoded it because I thought it was "defective" when it would not play on my computer, and then I deleted the original. It turns out they play fine through my blu-ray player to my TV. My computer is apparently underpowered, because they always give me pauses and staticy breakup in VLC and other media players I have tried. This makes reviewing the video and syncing subtitles very difficult. In the past 18 months I have also learned quite a bit about making better recodes, and not just using the standard software settings.
About synching the audio, well, that's an option, too. I've done it before. Usually 3 to 10 splits are enough. Changing the speed is needed only if the frame rates are different.
Admittedly, the one movie I tried it on (not FLM) had a difference of about 4 minutes (presumably a PAL-NTSC difference) rather than just a few seconds. I tried changing video speed or audio speed in various video-editing software options, as well as "properly" changing the audio speed in Audacity. I always came up with a file of the correct length that was in sync at the beginning and the end, but totally wrong for the rest of the movie. At that point I had enough and gave up. I watched the better video with the dub.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

If you're lucky, you'll find that the difference is at the beginning and end, and just looking at the time between the first and last spoken lines will tell you what needs to be done. Has worked for me a few times.
jpf

Post by jpf »   1 likes

I keep a record (a .txt file) of every movie I watched since 2007, each with a brief review & plot summary by myself (not exceeding 254 characters). This is useful at avoiding downloading stuff twice (but not fool-proof).
(Hardcoded Chinese subtitles, which I can not read.)
I sometimes download movies with Chinese hardcoded subtitles, in the hope that I'll be able to OCR + machine-translate them. For instance, about 1 week ago I downloaded "Lu bing hua AKA Dull Ice Flower (1989)" (posted on Blizzardkid), OCR'd & machine-translated the subs. The outcome was good enough to understand the plot to the last detail.
I have also learned quite a bit about making better recodes
I'd like to get your advice on that point. I don't have a Tv set and my computer is not powerful enough to play most h265 HD encodings, so I often end up recoding them. Recoding a 90' h265 1080p movie into h264 540p usually takes 48 to 36 hours using ffmpeg, and the outcome is not good enough (pixelation on dark scenes, "ghosts" in-between keyframes, among other artifacts). My processor is an AMD 1 core 32 bit Sempron from 2005 w/ 2 GB ram. My screen is a 15' CRT.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:If you're lucky....
Yeah, I wasn't. When it is just extra video before the body of the film, that just takes repositioning the start of the audio and is easy. The one time where I was trying an audio remux on a video where the body of the film was a very different length (a whole 4 minutes), my multiple attempts at stretching or compressing took DAYS of processing time and several junked results, after my hours of reading Google results to learn HOW to do it. People were not forthcoming with instructions. It turned out the best advice was "Don't do it." My experience soured me on attempting it even in a case that ought to be easy, with only a 4 second difference.

Syncing subtitles is so much easier! Doing A/V stretch/compress can "damage" the results. With warped audio I can hear distortion, and with warped or stuttering video I can see it. I can lip-read SEE when I HEAR audio that is only 1/10 of a second out of sync. Subtitles off by that much does not bother me.

Anyway, since you say you HAVE had success with different-length A/V resync, I will try it again sometime on something "easy" - once I have waited long enough to forget the pain.