[REL] The Worst Witch (1998)

poohead

Re: [REL] The Worst Witch (1998)

Post by poohead »   1 likes

The 1998 series. I'm still looking for the 2005 series, "The New Worst Witch".
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

poohead wrote:What's the best free software I can use to make them smaller without degrading them noticeably?
I use DVD Decrypter to remove copy protection and rip from any region dvd, creating an ISO. I then use XMedia Recode to convert the contents of the ISO to standard media file(s) like mkv or mp4. It gives virtually limitless conversion options of any quality you want. Both programs are FREE but they require a bit of a learning curve*, you can't just click a big green button that says "Rip My DVD & Make Files".

I can almost wholeheartedly recommend XMedia Recode but for the fact that it has been inexplicably crashing lately for me on some mkvs. So I keep backup programs like Any Video Converter or Avidemux, which are both slow but reliable.

I for one would love recommendations from the experienced rippers at FLM, but for the fact that I know some of them use the professional paid programs, which I never do. Maybe some of them go cheap like me. :)

[* = seriously, I may be understating the "learning curve" involved. You can choose from hundreds of encoding "Profiles" and then use trial and error to find the one you like, or just one such as Matroska (mkv) and adjust the video bitrate to get different sizes / qualities. I have been using it for years and never adjusted many of the options.]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Btw. HighID and static IP are two different things. A static IP does make it much easier to get a HighID, but a HighID is possible even with a dynamic IP address doled out from a pool. eMule clients automatically detect the change in IP address when the ISP periodically gives you another one, and will reconnect to the server and refresh.
Yes, eMule will reconnect based on its priority and whether it has open logon slots. The IP your ISP assigns you doesn't matter when you have a direct outward facing connection but when you're in the ISP's pool, your traffic goes through another NAT before it gets to the outside world, with only the standard ports open and no way to change it.

Your home IP can be dynamic, mostly because IP's are "leased" for a specified time period so you're likely to get the same IP from your router even if your computer is off for a day. If you do get a different IP you'll probably need to change your router settings because port forwarding is usually pinned to a specific IP address.
emuler wrote:All one (a HighID client, of course) needs to do is to download a file that has been requested, and share it until the requester has downloaded it, after which they can delete the file and move on to the next file request.
Which is what we're doing now. Personally, I don't think the file request section is that useful. I doubt many people check it - I haven't for months because everything I've downloaded is already shared - and most people check new posts and nothing else. It was created to reduce the number of reshare requests in the forums. I don't really care that much whether reshare requests are in the message base - it's usually faster to ask there anyway.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
emuler wrote:All one (a HighID client, of course) needs to do is to download a file that has been requested, and share it until the requester has downloaded it, after which they can delete the file and move on to the next file request.
Which is what we're doing now. Personally, I don't think the file request section is that useful. I doubt many people check it - I haven't for months because everything I've downloaded is already shared - and most people check new posts and nothing else. It was created to reduce the number of reshare requests in the forums. I don't really care that much whether reshare requests are in the message base - it's usually faster to ask there anyway.
The point I'm trying to make is that because we have LowID, the fact that you are sharing 6000+ files and I'm sharing 100+ files means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to other LowID users. They cannot get those files from us, no matter how long we share them or how long they wait. For example, if I want a file that you are sharing, someone else with HighID has to download it from you and share it, and only then can I get it from them. Ditto if you want something I'm sharing.

Currently we don't have anyone assigned to this task.

I'm suggesting that we invite and urge any members here with HighID and a fast connection to actively service the requests, even if they themselves don't want that file. Download, share until the requester has finished downloading, then delete to free up disk space.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that because we have LowID, the fact that you are sharing 6000+ files and I'm sharing 100+ files means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to other LowID users. They cannot get those files, no matter how long we share them or how long they wait. For example, if I want a file that you are sharing, someone else with HighID has to download it from you and share it, and then I can get it from them. Ditto if you want something I'm sharing.

Currently we don't have anyone assigned to this task.

I'm suggesting that we invite and urge any members here with HighID and a fast connection to actively service the requests, even if they themselves don't want that file. Download, share until the requester has finished downloading, then delete to free up disk space.
The point I'm trying to make is that I like you emuler and I like the other FLM members, but not enough to spend more money, and it may sound cold, but I don't really care if lowid can't download from me. Highid can and does so I'm 'paying' for what I download.

As far as assigning someone to service any and all reshare requests, how do you propose to force anyone to do it? If you even try, they'll say 'chuck you farley'. We're not supreme dictators here. We've been asking people to share what they can since forever and it doesn't happen except for some of the regulars. You and I and anyone else with lowid can ask for a reshare from one of the other regulars like we always have, but that's probably the only way it will happen. You're more than welcome to ask, cajole, plead, or otherwise bat your eyelashes and show a shapely gam if you think that'll get results. :lol: