[REL] Pippi Långstrump (1969) [TV series]

Night457
Global Moderator

[REL] Pippi Långstrump (1969) [TV series]

Post by Night457 »   29 likes

1080p in Swedish with English subtitles

[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]
The adventures of Pippi L̶o̶n̶g̶s̶t̶o̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ Långstrump, an eccentric, super-strong, redheaded moppet and her best friends Tommy and Annika.
Pippi Långstrump (1969 TV Series)

I was surprised to find no Pippi thread for eMule releases of the original 13 episode TV series, even though there was plenty of talk about the series in other Pippi threads. So here I go ...

Source (Available until October.):

Code: Select all

https://www.svtplay.se/pippi-langstrump

Thank you ferdi111 for cluing me in to that site!

opensubtitles.org has English subtitles translated from Estonian, and I wanted something better. The original Swedish subtitles taken from svtplay I machine-translated to English and extensively manually corrected. It was actually fun to research Swedish slang! The SVT station logo was removed from the 1080p video. I am releasing one episode first and will follow up with the rest in batches. Interested persons will be able to get an idea of the leisurely pace of my upload speeds.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [538.54 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [17.0 Kb]
ferdi111

Re: [REL] Pippi Långstrump (1969) [TV series]

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Thank you, hope subs for other episodes will follow sometimes in future?

And maybe English subs for two Pippi movies (they are pasted together from tvseries) make your work a little bit easier?
You can use some fragments from there,

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... i&start=10

I think Pippi's "surname" can be translated... Pippi Longstocking is more familiar to English speakers :)
And Efraimsdotter is Efraim's daughter

And that sentence about her full name from English book

"My name is Pippilotta Delicatessa Window-shade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter Longstocking, daughter of Captain Efraim Longstocking, formerly the Terror of the Sea, now a cannibal king. Pippi is really only a nickname, because Papa thought that Pippilotta was too long to say."

That one culprit was Thunder-Karlsson in English

About monkey... "herr" is "Mister" in English
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

ferdi111 wrote:Thank you, hope subs for other episodes will follow sometimes in future?
All my translating work is done, I was just waiting for a good chance to release this with my modest bandwidth. I will be releasing all 13 episodes with English subtitles, and for anyone who is interested I will also release the Swedish subtitles I site-ripped. Someone may want to translate into other languages, or do their own research to improve the English ones even more. I know these subtitles are not perfect, but I am mostly mostly pleased with them; I am definitely NOT a Swedish speaker, just a dedicated Lindgren fan. I was not content to leave the machine-translation as is -- I spent anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours per episode, going through the Swedish line-by-line and sometimes word-by-word, researching various online dictionaries and investigating Swedish colloquialisms that Google has not a clue about. (I take my entertainment SERIOUSLY, man! :D ) Some terms I even left in Swedish because all the English options sounded bad. The literal meaning of an interjection is not particularly important, fy fabian! I wonder how translators cope with Homer Simpson saying "DOH!" all the time. I say they should leave it as is.

I made a deliberate and conscious decision to refuse all translations of character's names, because those are their NAMES. Every person's name has a "meaning" that they do not necessarily know or think about. Should we refer to Albert Einstein as "A Bright and Noble Stone" or Mao Zedong as "Feather Blessing of the East"? That's one way to translate them in English! But they are proper names and are left alone. I apply the same thinking to characters in literature -- Pippi is a REAL PERSON to me and deserves the same consideration. As for all the ssons and dotters and dottirs in Scandinavian names - those are part of their proper names, they are stuck with them.

With forms of address like "Mister," "Princess," "Ma'am" and the like, I would generally go with the English translation, but for Herr Nilsson I made an exception and left it as is. I can not justify that rationally so I won't try! I just like how it sounds.

I made substantial changes to the Pippi Theme Song from the accepted English version. Maintaining the rhymes was nearly impossible, but I worked hard to try to keep it to the original meter while maintaining the meaning. There are some songs in future episodes where I made some potentially controversial choices, so be warned.

I think it likely my attitudes are shaped by the fact that I ignored Pippi as a child. I was not interested. It was only as an adult that I discovered the Swedish language original films and fell in love with them, despite my knowing no more than a half-dozen words of Swedish. I have watched the English dubs and do not like them. The English-dubbed song is like a spike in my ear. I have read the books and like them but have no nostalgia for any translator's particular choice of words, and I know that they have to make compromises to avoid a text full of pages of footnotes and explanations. It would be ideal if I would just learn Swedish, but that is not going to happen, so attempting an accurate translation while maintaining the Swedish "flavor" has been my own modest goal. When I speak to Herr Nilsson, he won't be confused by my calling him Mister.
jonas

Post by jonas »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Swedish subtitles unedited from svtplay.

01 Pippi flyttar in i Villa Villekulla.sv.srt
02 Pippi är sakletare och går på kalas.sv.srt
03 Pippi går i affärer.sv.srt
04 Pippi ordnar en utflykt.sv.srt
05 Pippi får besök av tjuvar.sv.srt
06 Pippi går på tivoli.sv.srt
07 Pippi i den första snön.sv.srt
08 Pippis jul.sv.srt
09 Pippi hittar en spunk.sv.srt
10 Pippis ballongfärd.sv.srt
11 Pippi är skeppsbruten.sv.srt
12 Pippi håller avskedskalas.sv.srt
13 Pippi går ombord.sv.srt
Thank you so much, let’s wait for all 13 series.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   13 likes

*** Alternate English Subtitles ***

I took the opportunity to revise my subtitles one last time, with some corrected translations and altering American slang into Standard International English. One big forehead-slapping moment came when I found that in Episode 11, "snus" is actually "snuff". I should have seen a problem there. :eusa_doh

And by popular demand, the most obvious change is converting the major character names to their English equivalents, so it is Pippi LONGSTOCKING, MISTER Nilsson, THUNDER-Karlsson and BLOOM, etc. Thus I consider these the "LONGSTOCKING SUBTITLES". I accept the value of childhood nostalgia and understood why some may prefer the familiar.

Special thanks to ferdi111 for all his excellent suggestions. Any mistranslations remaining are the responsibility of Google, who promise to continue improving their translation engine. This .zip file when extracted generates a folder with new English .srt subtitles for all 13 episodes.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [72.1 Kb]
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   2 likes

I don't speak Swedish when I gave suggestions I relied on what they said in various dubbings and in the book.