[REL] Child Bride (1938)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Child Bride (1938)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Hmm we'll never know what was the original order of scenes, but the DVD "cut" makes sense to me.
At the end of the swimming part you can see a dark cloudy sky and you can hear thunder. In the next scenes (where men are talking) you still can hear the thunder.
I am certainly no expert on the history of Child Bride, but there are such things as earlier release prints and original negatives. I am pretty sure we don't have the negative for this, though. I know in some instances of film reconstruction, the editor's notes have been discovered hidden in a home closet or a studio vault!

I did listen to the audio commentary, but my memories are vague from that long ago. I sort of remember that it might have discussed some history of the film's releases.

You at least remember WHY the dvd order makes sense to you, while I can not remember why exactly the blu-ray seemed better to me, so I can not defend it! However, I should note that the story took place over an extended period of time and it can rain more than once.

If you check out blu-ray forums on Star Wars, Blade Runner, Dawn of the Dead, Apocalypse Now, Lord of the Rings, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, etc etc etc you will find much passionate discussion about alternate cuts of movies. Some are fanatical and reject anything but the original theatrical release (no matter how compromised), others only want the director's final version. I am one of those squarely on the side of preserving ALL versions in the best quality possible, so that viewers can make their own decicion. I am firmly in support of your re-edit ghost, purely on priniciple!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I am firmly in support of your re-edit ghost, purely on priniciple!
Don't embarrass me... :oops: .... :lol:

Well, the reason why I wanted the old order is probably only that I am used to see the swimming scene at about 30 minutes. :?
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:Well, the reason why I wanted the old order is probably only that I am used to see the swimming scene at about 30 minutes. :?
There you go! (I knew that.) I am firmly in support of the value of nostalgia on principle as well! :lol:

An alternate cut does not even have to be an official release in order for me to appreciate it. David Lynch's DUNE (1984) was given an extended TV version which he totally disowned. It has its flaws. Some years later, a superfan did the SPICEDIVER FANEDIT, and I think it is fantastic! It is now my preferred version. The Germans are even releasing it as a "bonus" blu-ray in a super-duper special-limited edition version available only from the label, so it is probably not approved by anyone having ownership rights.

(8 to 9 year old Alicia Witt had a small but important role in Dune, but it is definitely not FLM.)
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

I know the blu-ray version is the one that was shown theatrically back in the day. It was re-edited for the DVD. Certain details do support the reordering. The thunderstorm of course. And Freddie's shirt - he has a light plain shirt, and a colorful plaid one, you'll notice in the blu-ray he's wearing the plaid one right before they go swimming but when he gets there it's the light one again.

Of course the story doesn't take place in a single day so continuity in details like that doesn't automatically mean you've got the right order - the one the director intended. Nobody seems to have many changes of clothing. Jennie has three outfits, two of which look very similar, and the third she's wearing only one time: at the funeral. No one except for the teacher seems to own a pair of shoes. I guess someone was trying to drive home the point that these hillbillies are poorer than shit. 8-)

One thing I was wondering about Ghost. The length of the DVD version is 1:02:41, and the blu-ray version 1:02:22 (only 19 seconds apart despite the different framerates) but yours is only 00:59:49. Which scenes did you cut out?

Oh, I forgot that fourth outfit of Jennie's. The nightgown. Her family must be rich by hill country standards! So Jake was probably marrying her for the money. :-D
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

One thing I was wondering about Ghost. The length of the DVD version is 1:02:41, and the blu-ray version 1:02:22 (only 19 seconds apart despite the different framerates) but yours is only 00:59:49. Which scenes did you cut out?
Oh no, I didn't cut anything out. It's just the different framerate.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

ghost wrote:
Oh no, I didn't cut anything out. It's just the different framerate.
If all you did was remix my blu-ray rip it should be exactly the same length. Just with the scenes in a different order. Framerates are the same. There has to be something you inadvertently left out. I'll check later, if I have time.

By the way, anyone who wants the full BD can download my post on alt.binaries.movies.thelostmovies. It's too big to share here.
Last edited by deadman on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

The BD has a framerate of 23.98fps, my cut is running with 25fps. That's all.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

ghost wrote:The BD has a framerate of 23.98fps, my cut is running with 25fps. That's all.
Ah, must've misread that. I thought it was 24. Sorry!

What made you choose the different framerate? Just curious.
Csetus85

Post by Csetus85 »   1 likes

Hi guys! I just wanted to say I think the dvd has the right order, because in the bluray at the 32. minute Freddie tells Jennie he hates the teacher because she spoiled their fun, and it must be after the swimming part which in Jennie says they can't swim together anymore, the teacher said not to. And at the 44. minute Jake says that he will get even, though by then he already killed Ira.
Night457
Global Moderator

Csetus85 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:10 amFreddie tells Jennie he hates the teacher because she spoiled their fun, and it must be after the swimming part which in Jennie says they can't swim together anymore, the teacher said not to.
I have not memorized all the plot details yet, but I have to admit you are logical here!