[REL] Child Bride (1938)

deadman

Re: [REL] Child Bride (1938)

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Csetus85 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:10 am Hi guys! I just wanted to say I think the dvd has the right order, because in the bluray at the 32. minute Freddie tells Jennie he hates the teacher because she spoiled their fun, and it must be after the swimming part which in Jennie says they can't swim together anymore, the teacher said not to. And at the 44. minute Jake says that he will get even, though by then he already killed Ira.

Yes, the DVD ordering makes more sense for various continuity reasons. You've added two more to the list. I don't know why they'd put scenes in the wrong order in what's supposedly the original theatrical cut. The producer/director isn't around anymore to ask about it.

I see you joined us only a few days ago. Welcome!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:19 amI don't know why they'd put scenes in the wrong order in what's supposedly the original theatrical cut.
Maybe they were rushing it out for release. They certainly did not have decades to soberly analyze the story points and reconsider their edits.

It hurts me to say this, but original filmmakers are not always "right".

However ... there could have been a completely lost original "director's version" that was discarded in favor of a studio-approved "hack job", which is what got released. The director and writer were the same person, so he ought to know his own story. The named editor is someone else, and certainly subject to studio demands because they sign the paychecks.

Aren't there some books about the history of the film? Have we discussed that in this longish thread? I don't remember and I don't have the energy at the moment to look. That is the sort of book I used to routinely pick up at some half-price used book outlet, back when I still read about movies in addition to watching them.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm Maybe they were rushing it out for release. They certainly did not have decades to soberly analyze the story points and reconsider their edits.

If anyone had soberly analyzed the story points, the script would've been rewritten. :lol:

Night457 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm... there could have been a completely lost original "director's version" that was discarded in favor of a studio-approved "hack job", which is what got released. The director and writer were the same person, so he ought to know his own story. The named editor is someone else, and certainly subject to studio demands because they sign the paychecks.

Aren't there some books about the history of the film? Have we discussed that in this longish thread? I don't remember and I don't have the energy at the moment to look. That is the sort of book I used to routinely pick up at some half-price used book outlet, back when I still read about movies in addition to watching them.

Yeah, there's an article about this movie in a 2010 edition of the now-defunct magazine Filmfax. I have a copy of it. The producer was a guy named Raymond Friedgen, an independent filmmaker with only a handful of credits at that point. There was no studio affiliation. Under the Hayes Code (the self-censorship guidelines big studios had voluntarily adopted to avoid government regulation) Child Bride would never have seen the light of day. Indie productions were the only ones who could get around that code and it still depended on laws in individual jurisdictions whether you could exhibit your film there.

Harry Revier was both the writer and director. From what I can tell he took care of all the creative movie making stuff, while Friedgen handled the business end and enjoyed himself pretending to be a Hollywood mogul for the local townspeople. There's nothing specifically about editing or different cuts of the movie though. The two versions we have here include all the same material, nothing is added or taken away, only the ordering of some scenes is changed. A lost Director's Cut would be cool. I doubt one ever existed though. There's always more footage shot than ends up in the final product, but good luck finding anything from this production now. If film reels weren't thrown out and are still sitting around somewhere they've probably degraded beyond recovery.
Night457
Global Moderator

Oh, the leftovers are definitely all gone, I guarantee it. Thanks for the bit of history on this! I remember that the audio commentary discussed some of the history, but I have forgotten just what the specifics were. There was something about the legal issues it encountered in local jurisdictions.

I have often wondered if director John Ford was a fan of "Child Bride" and that was the reason he cast Shirley Mills in his "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940).
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   0 likes

guys someone have good rip on 1080p? :o first time i meet this title and i need a good experience
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Rhisis66 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:10 pm guys someone have good rip on 1080p? :o first time i meet this title and i need a good experience
deadman’s BluRay encode is still being shares via eMule. Usenet might also work. The mega is obviously down
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   9 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:37 pm
Rhisis66 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:10 pm guys someone have good rip on 1080p? :o first time i meet this title and i need a good experience
deadman’s BluRay encode is still being shares via eMule. Usenet might also work. The mega is obviously down
this one apears like sharing but do not start downloading.. hmm..

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.14 Gb]

i like this one i think meanwhile will try to found some torrent :geek:
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Rhisis66 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 pm

Child Bride (1938).NTSC.DVD.iso

Try this one viewtopic.php?p=82930#p82930
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:58 pm
Rhisis66 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 pm

Child Bride (1938).NTSC.DVD.iso

Try this one https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 930#p82930
i think my emule are broken, or may be is because of my Low ID conection :lol: dont worry.. thank you so much!

[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

There is also ghost's smaller 1080p version, and ghost has HighID just like deadman does:
https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 548#p88548

Ghost's version has a different ORDER of the same scenes, and some find that order makes more sense. Both of the versions were shown decades ago in theaters and are as uncut as is possible.