403 Forbidden nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Re: 403 Forbidden nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote::icon_roll2 :icon_roll2 :icon_roll2

I just logged off then tried logging in again, and got the same error in Edge!!

Now I am using Internet Explorer. If I suddenly disappear entirely with no more rambling posts, that means I have no more browsers that don't give the same error. Just in case, I'll say NOW, "Thanks for all the wonderful movies, guys. I have had a great time here. Maybe someday I will get a complete hardware and software redo and return!"
I can demystify this a bit. The server is counting requests from unique (ip,browser) combination. The counter is reset every X seconds. If the counter exceeds certain treshold, it means the request rate per second is too high and the client is blocked for 10 minutes or so. Of course, this is not meant to affect normal users, just block the bots who make requests really fast and use too much resources. It seems there is a bug, though, and in some cases the counter is never reset, so the user is permanently blocked until a new IP address and/or browser is used :wall

Sorry about the trouble. Hopefully this will not happen again. I'm already missing you, Night :P
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: 403 Forbidden nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

mimzy, you are THE MAN! Thanks for saving my bacon.

I am totally NOT a bot, I just like this site. A lot. When I have more time available, I access it multiple times a day. I would think that sort of online behavior would be typical (and not blocked) for admins at the very least. With my 2nd favorite site down the past week (OS server crash followed by complete OS change) I probably have been checking out FLM even more often than usual, otherwise what would I do online? (And on top of THAT, I go online more often when I have insomnia, which I am having problems with lately.)

I do hope you find a way to keep legitimate users online AND still keep the bots away. We don't need them. DANGER! DANGER!

Thank you mimzy for the technical explanations that I actually understood.

I see deadman did what I expected of others -- if there is a problem, do nothing, don't worry, and come back later.
mimzy wrote:I'm already missing you, Night :P
Awww, that's really sweet but I don't believe you. It has only been a few hours. Even in the relatively short period I have been here I have seen previous frequent posters disappear for months now, and I miss THEM.