Is it okay to use a VPN with eMule?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Infinity

Is it okay to use a VPN with eMule?

Post by Infinity »   1 likes

Hi,

I use a VPN as I'm typically rather privacy focused, my VPN allows me to portforward and eMule is happy with it, still connected fine to the network even if it's passing through my VPN in the process. However, will my VPN being on affect my status on the eMule network at all? I believe you're meant to avoid having a "Low ID" if possible and I'm wondering if my VPN usage coupled with my IP changing frequently will affect my status on eMule. My country doesn't change as I stick to my home country on the VPN but my IP does change often.
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Is it okay to use a VPN with eMule?

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

It is more than OK, it is extremely helpful! For me, it is a lifesaver, because I can no longer port-forward using my router. Are you eMuling on HighID right now? (Check in the Servers tab under eD2K Network at ID. It will say HighID if you are.) The fact that you can Port Forward puts you way ahead of many other people. Set the forwarded port on your VPN and plug the value into the TCP/UDP boxes in eMule's Options/Connection/Client Port. You then should magically have the HighID. (Or maybe you already did that.) Changing the VPN server and/or your IP should not be a problem, as long as the Port Forwarding gives you HighID. I will almost daily disconnect from eMule, log out of my VPN, and restart my computer; and within a minute or so of restarting the computer, logging in to my VPN and connecting to a different server, and restarting eMule, people will be downloading from me again.

I am in the U.S. but my VPN usually randomly chooses Canadian servers: no problems. Sometimes I will deliberately choose a different country to get around region restrictions for streaming and downloading videos. Again, no problems with eMule. The only issue is that Google and other sites will default to the local language: when I went to sign into my Gmail account on a Dutch server, the login page was in Dutch, naturally. It also thought I might not be who I claimed to be and put me through the multiple confirmation steps in Dutch. Chrome Google Page Translate will help take care of that.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:It is more than OK, it is extremely helpful! For me, it is a lifesaver, because I can no longer port-forward using my router. Are you eMuling on HighID right now? (Check in the Servers tab under eD2K Network at ID. It will say HighID if you are.) The fact that you can Port Forward puts you way ahead of many other people. Set the forwarded port on your VPN and plug the value into the TCP/UDP boxes in eMule's Options/Connection/Client Port. You then should magically have the HighID. (Or maybe you already did that.) Changing the VPN server and/or your IP should not be a problem, as long as the Port Forwarding gives you HighID. I will almost daily disconnect from eMule, log out of my VPN, and restart my computer; and within a minute or so of restarting the computer, logging in to my VPN and connecting to a different server, and restarting eMule, people will be downloading from me again.

I am in the U.S. but my VPN usually randomly chooses Canadian servers: no problems. Sometimes I will deliberately choose a different country to get around region restrictions for streaming and downloading videos. Again, no problems with eMule. The only issue is that Google and other sites will default to the local language: when I went to sign into my Gmail account on a Dutch server, the login page was in Dutch, naturally. It also thought I might not be who I claimed to be and put me through the multiple confirmation steps in Dutch. Chrome Google Page Translate will help take care of that.
Had a little look and it turns out that my eMule already has a HighID which is awesome, missed that bit! Yeah, languages can be a bit problematic but I stay within the UK for a minimal latency and don't tend to have multi-hop set either; I do have split tunnelling for one of my browsers so I can access the UK Netflix catalogue, one downside of my VPN (https://ivpn.net) is that while it doesn't keep logs, it is blocked by most streaming services but that's okay, not the end of the world since I originally got it for privacy anyhow.

Thanks for replying and helping me out, I appreciate it!

[Image]
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!
Night457
Global Moderator

Infinity wrote:Had a little look and it turns out that my eMule already has a HighID which is awesome, missed that bit!
Sounds like your provider and setup are already ideal for eMule. Fantastic! It is always nice when you do not have to do any additional work.
... and don't tend to have multi-hop set either; I do have split tunnelling for one of my browsers
I have no idea what this is about, so your knowledge of connectivity options clearly far exceeds my own!
one downside of my VPN (...) is that while it doesn't keep logs, it is blocked by most streaming services but that's okay, not the end of the world since I originally got it for privacy anyhow.
Yes, I have noticed that at least some of the video streaming sites I go to will not work with a VPN, which is only a problem for me if I am using the VPN to evade region restrictions. If need be I just shut off the VPN. I do not have as much a concern about privacy (although I am not one to use F***book), as I got the VPN mostly to have eMule HighID!
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
Infinity wrote:Had a little look and it turns out that my eMule already has a HighID which is awesome, missed that bit!
Sounds like your provider and setup are already ideal for eMule. Fantastic! It is always nice when you do not have to do any additional work.
... and don't tend to have multi-hop set either; I do have split tunnelling for one of my browsers
I have no idea what this is about, so your knowledge of connectivity options clearly far exceeds my own!
one downside of my VPN (...) is that while it doesn't keep logs, it is blocked by most streaming services but that's okay, not the end of the world since I originally got it for privacy anyhow.
Yes, I have noticed that at least some of the video streaming sites I go to will not work with a VPN, which is only a problem for me if I am using the VPN to evade region restrictions. If need be I just shut off the VPN. I do not have as much a concern about privacy (although I am not one to use F***book), as I got the VPN mostly to have eMule HighID!
Split tunnelling means that one of my browsers isn't covered with my VPN so it's using my real IP - only for streaming services. :) Nothing too fancy really! eMule looks to be behaving fine, which is great as I was concerned. Glad to know it's still going strong on Windows 11 too.

I was never too privacy focused but over the years I quite enjoy doing what I can to protect myself, I still use YouTube, Twitter, Instagram but I try to lessen my dependacy on their services.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Infinity wrote:Split tunnelling means that one of my browsers isn't covered with my VPN so it's using my real IP - only for streaming services.
!!!!!!!

That is, like ... a really good idea! I did not realize that could even be done. I thought I had to disconnect the VPN server when I wanted that. I will have to Google it and figure out how to set it up for my browser so I can keep eMule running on my VPN when I need to do regular browser stuff without it. I regularly use 2 of my installed browsers anyway.

Thank you! I am glad you came back to explain it because obviously I was just too damn lazy to Google "split tunneling", not realizing how useful it could be.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Why disconnecting from VPN? I'm using it always, except for sites, that don't allow a proxy or VPN.
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:Why disconnecting from VPN? I'm using it always, except for sites, that don't allow a proxy or VPN.
I think you just answered your own question, ghost! :D

I am using it almost always. When I find a site that does not work with a VPN, I would disconnect from the VPN server. Now with this split tunneling thingy, I can just use the browser that is not on the VPN, once I set that up.
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

I switched yesterday my VPN Service to Keepsolid VPN Unlimited. I didn't collect some experience with my old VPN service and eMule, because it was not the best, but I will try it now with the new one.

If I activate the VPN, it will end in a low ID. I can't found any Info to open the Ports in the VPN or any other hint...
Did anyone have an idea what I can research ot setup? Or did it simply would not work?

Thanks for help
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

If I activate the VPN, it will end in a low ID
You really need a VPN service, which allows port forwarding. Otherwise you won't be able to open the ports that eMule needs.
Keepsolid VPN Unlimited
Never heard about it before. But they don't allow port forwarding.