International broadcast standards HD 4k 8k and beyond

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
mimzy

Re: International broadcast standards HD 4k 8k and beyond

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
mimzy wrote:For us it would be interesting to know, which streams can be actually saved on your personal harddisk or watched with VLC, for example. The devices you mention are probably view-only.
I keep hearing about recording a stream live directly from the graphics card and I know people here have done it, but I never have. Someday I will encounter something that forces me to do it.
This may not be as easy as it seems. Graphics cards implement copy protection too. I've heard that in some cases when you use screen recording software, the part of screen where the movie is playing is just blank, but probably this depends on hardware and software and I have no experience with that.

Of course, the movie must be playable on computer screen in the first place. Most TV providers just give you a set-top-box that you can plug to HDMI port of your TV set and that's it. When I first got IPTV, I discovered that I can watch and record all streams with VLC, but it turned out that my provider had accidentally disabled encryption on that day. Later I managed to hack the set-top-box, so it gives me the decryption key, but that is a secret, OK :eusa_shhh

I do have a small Chinese device that can be plugged to HDMI (even if copy protection is used) and it outputs a stream that can be recorded or viewed with VLC, but the picture quality is noticeably lower than normal.
Night457 wrote:
Then I found that by downloading just the key database from the net, I can watch and rip blu-ray with normal software like VLC.
I knew it could playback and live-record, but VLC can RIP the disks also???!!! I had no idea. That is something I should look into.
I'm not a VLC power-user, but yes, it can stream to file and AFAIK has some encoding capabilities also. For encoding I use ffmpeg actually. I'm sure also Handbrake can read blu-ray directly if you have the key database.