JDownloader free replacement?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Ziggy Plock

Re: JDownloader free replacement?

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:And one way or another, if audio or video can be played on a computer it can be ripped.
But using screen recorders like the Windows Gamebox and other s is a pain in the butt. That's the ONLY one that worked for me not OBS nor any of the other ones like that. And it worked only when I use with the Chrome-browser, and only an NOT-updated version of Chrome.
Anything else, I get slapped with commercials or "you're not a member"-pop-ups... :( :( :(

The RIAA may have difficulty finding out who runs any .to sites.
Obviously, that's the Tongans, of course! AskMeSomethingHard .......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Funny guy! :D

Actually they do not run the most "infamous" sites. The Tongan government owns the .to domains and sells many of them to interested parties from around the world. You do not have to be a Tongan citizen or resident to use them, you just have to pay. Real Tongans get them for free. (Or they used to, anyway.)

Relevancy for FLM would be the Czech size uloz.to or ulozto, where "ulož to" is Czech for "save it."
Ziggy Plock wrote:But using screen recorders like the Windows Gamebox and other s is a pain in the butt.
I don't doubt it. I just said it CAN be done but I have never done it! My first choice for anything involving downloading, recording or video coding would not be a Windows product. I am fine just using their operating system. I do only use free software for everything but it has its limits. My guess without asking anybody would be that the accomplished screen recording people use either paid software or hacked versions of paid software! I had a bad experience with hacked software once so I will not do THAT again ... and I am too cheap to pay for a real copy.

Just asking, does the Windows Gamebox at least work well for its intended purpose -- recording gameplay video from the Xbox?
Anything else, I get slapped with commercials
Well, I would expect a screen recorder to record exactly what is on the screen, so if the commercials are not blocked somehow then the commercials would be recorded. It is not the same as a streaming downloader that accesses only the main video and not the interruptions added in, and can record in faster than real time playback.
Ziggy Plock

Night457 wrote:Just asking, does the Windows Gamebox at least work well for its intended purpose -- recording gameplay video from the Xbox?
I don't game, have never gamed. Just once... when I did my COBOL training.... so....
It does record streaming video from site which have blocked downloads, so .....

Night457 wrote:Funny guy! :D Actually they do not run the most "infamous" sites. The Tongan government owns the .to domains and sells many of .....
Wow, you didn't think I already knew that!?!?!
Just .... wow.
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

It does record streaming video from site which have blocked downloads, so .....
XBox is really not the best choice to record your screen.

Many of my releases are Web-Rips which I recorded in real time. My favourite is still Audials. It detects the correct framerate automatically and doesn't record any overlays.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

The RIAA may have difficulty finding out who runs any .to sites.
Strictly speaking, I doubt that Tonga has great Internet infrastructure to host the servers, so even if the site has ".to" address, it is most probably not hosted in Tonga. Once you have the IP, you can at least find out the ISP. Whether you can get client data from the ISP now depends on the local law.

The advantage of ".to" is that RIAA has difficulty to delete the domain name, so if the server of uloz.to is shut down, then uloz guys can point uloz.to to a different IP.

Just a quick illustration:
Spoiler:

$ host uloz.to
uloz.to has address 93.99.2.80
uloz.to mail is handled by 11 mail.uloz.to.

$ whois 93.99.2.80
route: 93.99.0.0/17
descr: Vodafone Czech Republic a.s.
origin: AS16019
mnt-by: VFCZ-MNT
created: 2021-02-02T11:00:45Z
last-modified: 2021-02-02T11:00:45Z
source: RIPE
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Ziggy Plock wrote:Wow, you didn't think I already knew that!?!?!
I guess I would expect you to know, but most folks online do not know and do not care where the sites they use are from. People who run sites certainly know the straight dope.
mimzy wrote:Strictly speaking, I doubt that Tonga has great Internet infrastructure to host the servers, so even if the site has ".to" address, it is most probably not hosted in Tonga.
You are seriously bumming me out, because I was picturing skyscrapers of server farms powered by solar and surrounded by a tropical island paradise. :( So all people do is buy the NAME!!??!

Learning something new all the time ...
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:So all people do is buy the NAME!!??!
Oh yeah, it's a huge business! There are many people who just buy good domains, hoping to sell them for good money.

I once lost the first-loves.com domain thanks to Russian bitches of Namecheap. Later somebody tried to sell the domain for hundreds of dollars. Fortunately I managed to get back the domain after few years for no cost. FLM domains are currently registered in the Bahamas.
Ziggy Plock

mimzy wrote:
Oh yeah, it's a huge business! There are many people who just buy good domains, hoping to sell them for good money.

I once lost the first-loves.com domain thanks to Russian bitches of Namecheap. Later somebody tried to sell the domain for hundreds of dollars. Fortunately I managed to get back the domain after few years for no cost. FLM domains are currently registered in the Bahamas.
Hah! Since the servers are hosted in Kiev, the point might be fully MOOT. You'll once again lose the domain to Russian bitches............. :( :( :o
[Image]
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

mimzy wrote:

Wasn't the tiny Pacific islands of Tuvalu (famous for being affevted by climate change due to having an average height of 1m above sea level) given the domain name ".tv" - which they have been able to earn millions from by letting companies use their .tv web addresses?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

What a lovely story, and it is widely reported by multiple sources. Better Tuvalu gets the money than others, though I have to wonder why they were not assigned the unused .tu instead. Someone giving them a valuable gift?

However, it should be noted that domain registry service companies like Verisign make billions, and they are currently in charge of licensing the highly-valued .tv domains. Supposedly the Tuvalu government has a 20% share.

https://www.domainsherpa.com/country-co ... l-domains/