[REQuest now fulfilled.] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
Nasuada

[REQuest now fulfilled.] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

Post by Nasuada »   2 likes

Today I would post a new movie from Korea as Request, but I must noticed that this country are not existing as own country.
I not really recognized it until now, but I think over 70 movies (most of them are [REL]) who you can found at the moment over the search who are marked with [KOREA] or [SOUTH KOREA] can be a reason to think about that.
That's are more movies as actually in RELEASES for China (28), Austria (28), Belgium (58) and if we remove all the copies of the USA who they do from Korean Movies, the counter from US will be shrink from 1271 to 800 (just kidding).

So... my official request...
Pls. Add Korea to the list of Countries :-)
[Image]
popdrome

Re: [REQ] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

Post by popdrome »   1 likes

Well, I think that's actually a very valid request.
However I'd name it South Korea because that's what we're talking about.

:cool

Don't go quietly into the night.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

North Korean film production is tiny compared to South Korea's ... or most any other film-making country. I would bet that their FLM-appropriate films would be even fewer. I did a quick search on "North Korea" here but could not find anything that was clearly a North Korean film.

If we are going to follow decades-long political divisions and keep them separated, does that mean we should have multiple threads for Germany?

Germany until 1949
DDR (East Germany) 1949-1990
BDR (West Germany) 1949-1990
Federal Republic of Germany (reunified Germany) 1990-present

(Yes, I know the answer to that question is "Of course not" and "Shut up, stupid." I am not actually trying to reignite the Cold War, and I hope I have not pissed off all the Germans here. And on a purely pragmatic level, no Admin would be interested in wasting time dividing up the German films. That would take forever!)

Judging simply by how the division between the two Koreas is depicted in their movies and TV shows, it is clearly a great national trauma and has torn families apart. Even if any sort of political reunification can not happen or may not be desired, I have no doubt most (non-politician) Koreans would prefer more amicable relations. Can we encourage cooperation in theory by treating "Korea" filmically as a single entity? If somehow in the future there occurs a great political transformation and reunification, would we have to change FLM's threads again if we had kept the North and the South separate? Consider ... how many "Russia" films here are actually "Soviet Union," which at the time included many regions that are now separate countries. I notice that there are a few [Hong Kong] films, variously posted in "China" or "Unlisted" without following the official British-handover / reunification date of 1997.

ANYWAY ... I was also wondering about a separate thread for Korea as well, when I noticed how many Korean films were being Released. I especially noticed it when I was frequently scrolling down to Unlisted and typing [South Korea] for my Releases. ;) I just was not sure how time-consuming and tedious it would be to transfer over so many films to another thread.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Hmmm creating seperate forums for Korea (or South Korea... ) definitely would make sense.

This would be a lot of work.. Searching the complete "Unlisted" forum for Korean movies and moving them to the new forum.

At least too much work for me, I just don't have the time for it atm.
I hope I have not pissed off all the Germans here

No, Night457, you haven't ;) At least as far as I'm concerned...
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Night and ghost make some very valid points. I would now vote against it. :think :icon_badidea :cool1

Don't go quietly into the night.
emuler

Post by emuler »   2 likes

Night457 wrote:I am not actually trying to reignite the Cold War
Don't worry - Putin has that covered. :lol:
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Hmmm creating seperate forums for Korea (or South Korea... ) definitely would make sense.

This would be a lot of work.. Searching the complete "Unlisted" forum for Korean movies and moving them to the new forum.

At least too much work for me, I just don't have the time for it atm.
I hope I have not pissed off all the Germans here

No, Night457, you haven't ;) At least as far as I'm concerned...
I made now a testrun on my own Board who I run for my projects and external project and yes, it's very complicated if you try that directly on the Board over the moderation.
But I figure it out, how you can change it over SQL directly. I'm not a professional programmer, so I can't say how you can create a simple script, but I found all related stuff to simply search and move the topics. I can't explain how it works in phpMyAdmin, because I'm using an free app on OSX named Sequel Pro. This tool deliver me a direct access to my Database and I have lot of actions and way's to search for the stuff.

So here are my Infos... Keep in mind, that the table name contain a mixed name before the underline like j5res_posts
1. open table "_forums" and note the ID of the Forum who you created (like RELEASED KOREA). It's in the column "forum_id". I will using for this example the ID 15. You can also Note the ID from the existing Forum where the posts are right now (UNLISTED) to recheck, but you don't need it. I select the ID 20 for my example.
2. open table "_posts" and search in column "post_subject" for KOREA. You will see now all Posts who have in the Subject that contains [KOREA] ;-) Important: Write down the Number of the results like 35 for example.
3. open table "_topics" and search in column "topic_title" for KOREA. In the same table you will see again the forum_id. The ID will be 20 (for UNLISTED) and you can change it now to 15 for all of them
4. Go back to table "_forums" and search for two different columns. forum_posts_approved and forum_topics_approved. The Number in this columns are the Number of Posts and Topics who users will see at the Topic overview. So you neeed (and can) change that numbers, based on your existing Infos. So for forum_posts_approved it's the Number 35 (from my example). Around the Posts I can't give a tip at the moment, because I have not so much Posts inside a Topic. I have no Idea yet, how you can count it simply, how much Postings are existing. BUT... you need to change the same number of posts and topics in the "old" forum_id. Only point can be the topic_id in the table "_posts" to count, how much topics are existing, but each topic have it's own ID and when you have 30 Topics and each topic have different counts of postings... No idea how you can count that manual.
So here is a example...
forum_id 20 (Forum Name UNLISTED) have in the column forum_topics_approved the Number 250 and you found there 50 topics marked as [KOREA] so you need to change the Number from 250 to 200. From this point the phpBB Board will count up from 200 again with each new topic. If you have in forum_posts_approved a Number of 1478 and you have 378 posts, related to KOREA you need to change the Number to 1100.
On forum_id 15 (Forum Name KOREA) you change the Number 0 of forum_topics_approved to 50 and on forum_posts_approved the Number 0 to 378
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: If we are going to follow decades-long political divisions and keep them separated, does that mean we should have multiple threads for Germany?
(...)
No, if only for the reasons you mentioned.
Night457 wrote:I hope I have not pissed off all the Germans here.
Well, seeing as how Germans have no sense of humour, AND pissing them off is the national hobby of the Danes, Poles, Austrians, Swiss, Dutch, Belgians, Checks, Slowaks, French AND (most importantly!) the Luxembourgians (bet you didn't know that was a country) aka all their neighbours.... it's really not a bad thing to do ......
;) ;) ;) ;) nah i'm just kidding, of course! Because: Slowaks aren't bordering with Germany...
Night457 wrote:And on a purely pragmatic level, no Admin would be interested in wasting time dividing up the German films. That would take forever!)
But, seriously, a separate thread for Korea would be most practical, and if there's a NoKo release, just clearly say so by adding [NoKo] after the movie name. For all others under [Korea], we can assume that they're South-Korean...

A simple search reveals there are 60 South Korean releases already.
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

[REQ] Adding a sub-forum for (South-)Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong & rest of Asia.

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Perhaps it's worth it to create a separate area/branch/sub(sub-sub?) forum for releases from (South-)Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong & rest of Asia. There's a precedent for this, the Latin-American branch.
Solely, and perhaps shallowly, judging by Topic Titles alone:
(South-)Korea has a whopping 72 releases, 3 requests.
Vietnam has 10 releases, 1 request.
Taiwan has 14 releases, 2 requests.
Hong Kong has 6 and 0.
Baltics have 42-2 (Estonia 17-0, Lativia 10-1, Lithuania 15-1)

China, India and Japan already have separate thingees, so....

Other subdivisions or groupings might be: Eastern Europe, Rest of Europe (Greece, Hung, Turkey, etc.)
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
mimzy

Re: [REQ] Adding a sub-forum for (South-)Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong & rest of Asia.

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Since not many are commenting...

I don't think it would make much sense to make a separate forum for, let's say, Vietnam, which would have only 10 topics. Unless there are hundreds of FLM movies from Vientam that are just waiting to be added.

I think a separate forum is justified if there is a large group of people who is interested in this forum and not other forums. This could be the case with Asia, Europe, Africa, for example. I can imagine people who are interested specifically in Asian or European movies. Let's say, they just like these types of girls :oops:

On the other hand, I suppose interest in Vietnamese movies higly correlates with interest in Hong Kong and Taiwanese movies (at least among European people), so anybody who browses Vietnamese forum, would browse Hong Kong and Taiwanese as well, therefore separating forums for these countries make not much sense.

There might be similar case with some existing forums, but in that case, there are historic reasons.

So I guess I'd vote splitting Unlisted into Europe, Asia and Africa, but frankly I'm quite happy with the forums as it is.